U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2018, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
6,795 posts, read 10,704,332 times
Reputation: 4221

Advertisements

Sears has just posted its updated list of closures today, and it looks like the Metrocenter location is on the chopping block. I rarely shop at Sears, but this isn't looking good for them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2018, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
37,050 posts, read 47,284,288 times
Reputation: 25792
Sears is done and so is metrocenter. It wasn't long ago that Sears was the king of the hill in retail. I recall that when the now defunct Estrella Falls mall was being ballyhooed, Sears was going to be one of the anchors. Things sure changed in a hurry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ area
3,365 posts, read 4,619,533 times
Reputation: 4185
Metrocenter still exists? I thought they would bulldoze it and put in apartments by now, or a gigantic Walmart.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
262 posts, read 173,072 times
Reputation: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Metrocenter still exists? I thought they would bulldoze it and put in apartments by now, or a gigantic Walmart.
They did build a Walmart there last year as a new mall anchor.

Like at Christown
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 05:30 PM
 
110 posts, read 102,768 times
Reputation: 148
Wow, sad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Arizona
118 posts, read 82,006 times
Reputation: 121
There has been new development around Metrocenter, but most of it is along the ring road near I-17, or along Peoria Ave.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
262 posts, read 173,072 times
Reputation: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarriors79 View Post
There has been new development around Metrocenter, but most of it is along the ring road near I-17, or along Peoria Ave.
They are supposedly going to start construction of the light rail to metro center soon. It seems as if it may be too late. It will just be going a little bit north in a little bit west but there won’t be a major destination at the terminus in Phoenix.

Who knows, it may even make the area even worse. It seems as if 19th and Dunlap has gotten about 50% worse than it was before the light rail extended up that way.

Metro center is already kind of doomed for a worsening, if you will.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Inside the 101
2,673 posts, read 6,903,109 times
Reputation: 2970
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
They are supposedly going to start construction of the light rail to metro center soon. It seems as if it may be too late. It will just be going a little bit north in a little bit west but there won’t be a major destination at the terminus in Phoenix.

Who knows, it may even make the area even worse. It seems as if 19th and Dunlap has gotten about 50% worse than it was before the light rail extended up that way.

Metro center is already kind of doomed for a worsening, if you will.
The redevelopment plan for MetroCenter does not envision it ever coming back as a traditional mall. In fact, most of it will be demolished to make way for new mixed-use development. I suppose that even if that doesn't happen quickly, there's plenty of room for an end-of-line park-and-ride to serve light rail commuters.

Goodbye, Metrocenter Mall: Why A Developer Plans To Demolish A Phoenix Landmark | KJZZ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
262 posts, read 173,072 times
Reputation: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The redevelopment plan for MetroCenter does not envision it ever coming back as a traditional mall. In fact, most of it will be demolished to make way for new mixed-use development. I suppose that even if that doesn't happen quickly, there's plenty of room for an end-of-line park-and-ride to serve light rail commuters.

Goodbye, Metrocenter Mall: Why A Developer Plans To Demolish A Phoenix Landmark | KJZZ
Who knows, maybe the biggest light rail park-and-ride at the very end right off of the interstate will make a difference. Who knows?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2018, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
751 posts, read 735,383 times
Reputation: 1539
Just tear down the mall and expand Castles and Coasters into a huge theme park there. It would be perfect with the light rail ending there and would have a huge lot avaiable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top