Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 05:33 PM

35 posts, read 154,492 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are moving back to Phoenix after almost 10 years away, in Michigan, D.C., and L.A. We are professionals in our early 30's (both with 6-fig salaries), and we have an infant daughter (3 mos).

Jobs: We have a unique situation in that he will be working mostly from home, and then traveling via Sky Harbor occasionally, while I will be working in downtown Phoenix, Mesa, and Chandler (3-4 days per week, going to a different location each day; I know this sounds nuts, but that's how physicians do things in the Valley, apparently , to reach a large patient population). Our families, which is one of the draws to move back "home", are located on opposite sides of the 101, in N. Scottsdale and Peoria.

Desires: We would like to be within a reasonable commuting distance to our families, with good freeway access (51, 101) due to the wide range of locations I will need to visit for work. Due to the variety of places we've lived, we'd like to find an area that is safe, with good access to dining and shopping (Biltmore, Kierland, or Fashion Square), and homes with interesting architecture (hopefully not tract homes; they've really lost their charm to me after living in D.C. and L.A.).

Budget: We'll most likely rent initially unless we find a home we can't live without in our price range for purchase; budget would be ideally less than $2500 (aka, "less than we're wasting to rent a 2 bd/2 ba apt in LA"), so we can save money for a down payment in a year or so.

Neighborhoods under consideration: Arcadia, Desert Ridge area, Scottsdale, Tempe. We'll worry about schools in a few years.

Any other suggestions or considerations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 PM

157 posts, read 423,045 times
Aradia would be my first pick since its about equal distance to all the points of interests on your list.
I would also suggest Arrowhead Lakes in Glendale which seams far from Mesa and Chandler but since its right next to freeway the drive should not take more than 40 minutes to Mesa (accept rush hours)

Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,533,110 times
I don't think you'll find too many rentals in Arcadia, but it's definitely a good choice for neighborhood, and for access to the areas you are interested in. North Phoenix along the 51, say around Shea Blvd or further north, might work as well. I wouldn't go as far west as Glendale, though Arrowhead Lakes is nice.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:12 PM

157 posts, read 423,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't think you'll find too many rentals in Arcadia, but it's definitely a good choice for neighborhood, and for access to the areas you are interested in. North Phoenix along the 51, say around Shea Blvd or further north, might work as well. I wouldn't go as far west as Glendale, though Arrowhead Lakes is nice.
I completely forgot about area in North Phoenix around Shea. I would also look at the homes in the mountains on west side of 51 north of Northern.
The reason I suggested Arrowhead Lakes is because its close to all of the family either Peoria and North Scottsdale and there are at least 10 active rental listings in that area for their price range.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 PM

919 posts, read 3,402,531 times
Old Town or South Scottsdale are worth exploring, based on your paramaters. You should be able to rent for less than your budget and be very close to dining/shops. It's close to the 101 for a quick hop to N. Scotty or Chandler, plus its near the airport and also close to the 202/10 for tripping to Peoria. You'd also be next to Arcadia/PV and 10 minutes to Tempe. I'm also a big fan of certain parts of Tempe and Arcadia. Given the housing glut, you might be able to rent a decent house or better-than-avg. condo, giving you a chance to explore and decide on what fits you best. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 AM

307 posts, read 955,932 times
Lightbulb Renting

The home you rent may not be as interesting...

Think of the house you rent as a temporary situation, unless you are hoping to lease purchase an older home that interests you.

I feel the best areas to rent are:
  • as close to you jobs as possible
  • maybe a gated community
  • a home with a swimming pool since you are going to be re-adjusting
  • consider a residential subdivision with a community pool since you have a little one (decreases pool danger at home)

Old 05-30-2009, 10:39 PM

Default Thank you!

All of these are excellent suggestions. And you're right, the place we rent won't be as interesting, but it would be nice to be in a reasonable area for commuting and be able to explore until we figure out the "right" neighborhood to meet our needs. And I like the community pool suggestion, too...I want a pool someday, but we are going to have little one(s) around for the next few years, so it's probably best to wait.

We'll be heading back out that way again soon to explore, and we'll check out the suggested areas. Even though we visit often, we usually spend so much time at the families' homes that we rarely get out as much as we'd like, so now we feel like some background research is in order!

Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 PM

55 posts, read 180,664 times
Check out azarchitecture.com . They have some homes for sale that are now available as rentals. I dont have any association with them, but sometimes I like to look at the homes they have available for fun. They specialize in modern mid-century and contemporary homes and they range from 1 bedroom condos to 5 million dollar mansions. Anyway, good luck!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:28 PM

Default Thank you!

Loving the Az architecture website!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area