Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 09:35 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,464,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA to AZ View Post
I was tired of the traffic In California and the wacky politics so In December 2017 I sold my property for 1.4m and bought a dream McMansion in Scottsdale. It was the best decision I made in my entire life.. until the first summer hit. To be honest, if I would had known what I was getting myself into I wouldn’t had left California.

I’v driven through the San Fernando Valley and Inland Empire when it gets 98 degrees so I assumed “no big deal, Scottsdale will just be like that but slightly hotter” but boy was I wrong. There’s something different about the desert heat.

Also I miss the feeling of just knowing the beach is around the corner even if I wasn’t going to get in the water. Sure my big pool in Scottsdale is magnificent but I don’t get the coastal breeze or nice marine layer in the mornings to wake up to. Now I’m stuck here in my mountainless view house until my employee contract ends in 5 years.

I love Arizona the rest of the year though. I’ll just keep a positive attitude, blast the AC, and he get off ice cream. No hiking for me.
You left Malibu because of traffic and policies I imagine that made your life difficult. 1.4 mil in Southern California doesn't buy much either. Not to mention fires every summer and an earthquake danger which makes insurance for that 1.4 mil expensive under those conditions.
There is also the fact that living a comfortable life in a place that will probably get increasingly difficult as you age can weigh heavy on you.

In Scottsdale, there is no beach, correct, but you are only missing the feeling of it being around the corner, not daily beach trips. You can easily visit the beach as it's still around the corner. You can leave here at 8 am and be there by 2pm by car or by 10am by plane which a lot of us do. It enables us to enjoy the beach a couple times a year without paying the price of living in a dirty, congested, crowded city where the income inequality makes people who pay a mil for a house seem like lower-middle-class citizens. I see the beach a couple of times a year and then come back to my clean city, with nice roads, little homelessness and a beautiful house that makes me feel rewarded for my work. My taxes are low, there are no tolls to avoid congestion, and the people are laid back.

I was born in CA. I have been in the east valley for a while now, and when I go back after a time here I miss AZ. It only takes a week of humidity, homeless, crowds, grime and mold before I appreciate the sparkling dry desert where I can afford to have nice things, an easy commute and clean places to eat and play.

I have a feeling after your 4 years here, if you go back, you will find yourself missing Scottsdale. I hope you eventually realize were you belong whether it be here or in CA. It's a great feeling to appreciate where you live and know where you belong. Good luck and take your time adjusting. They say it takes a couple of years to really acclimate to a new surrounding. Right now you're just homesick, it will pass and you will be able to clearly make a decision.

For those of us who have chosen Phoenix metro, your post sounds distastful. We like it, and miss it when we leave. So try and forgive the people who are hurt by your post bashing their paradise. They've simply found there's here.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:18 AM

872 posts, read 1,005,453 times
EVERY state/city in the country has it's ups and downs. You just decide whether those downs are worth the ups. In the case of Phoenix and AZ, I say YES!!

Besides the heat, how do you FEEL overall??

Old 07-12-2018, 10:22 AM

872 posts, read 1,005,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
This post must be a ruse.

Would be like moving to the SF Bay area before visiting during a gay pride parade. Never forget when the Mrs and I mistakenly visited on one of those weekends. Seeing men wearing nothing but a sock (and NOT on their foot) was... well... quite shocking but hilarious.

NO ONE uproots and moves from Malibu to Phoenix without doing research. Unless of course you're from Topanga Canyon which in all likelihood means that you're a little "different".

Our solution is to keep a boat docked in Newport. Weekend condo that helps protect our sanity.
You'd be surprised how many people, especially milenials are just moving cold turkey. I just met this kid who was uber/lyft and he moved here from Hawaii. He had never been here and never did research. Well he lives in SAn Tan Valley and complains about the lack of activities there. He's probably in his 20s. I see people pack up and leave to CA and look for a job when they get there. End up stuck in a dead end job and huge bills/debt. Even if you have $$$ you must know what you are doing unless you are truly a nomad with an extreme laid back view of life (and able to not make roots/connections)

Old 07-12-2018, 02:55 PM

277 posts, read 278,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
You'd be surprised how many people, especially milenials are just moving cold turkey. I just met this kid who was uber/lyft and he moved here from Hawaii. He had never been here and never did research. Well he lives in SAn Tan Valley and complains about the lack of activities there. He's probably in his 20s. I see people pack up and leave to CA and look for a job when they get there. End up stuck in a dead end job and huge bills/debt. Even if you have $$$ you must know what you are doing unless you are truly a nomad with an extreme laid back view of life (and able to not make roots/connections)
Never understood this, known severa people who do this ****, I could never just move with no plan. Makes me crazy and I’m a pretty relaxed person. Idk how people do orb

Old 07-12-2018, 05:10 PM

191 posts, read 347,008 times
No offense to anybody, but 9 pages of sucker replies over a troll post?. Can't you guys smell a troll when they post like this? I'll eat my words if the OP gives the address of the home they sold in Malibu for 1.4 mil which will be easy to verify as recently sold.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:00 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,753,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyer99 View Post
I'll eat my words if the OP gives the address of the home they sold in Malibu for 1.4 mil which will be easy to verify as recently sold.

Not if it was a SuperSecretUltraPrivateImaginaryGhostSale!

Old 07-12-2018, 09:36 PM

551 posts, read 1,596,604 times
:d

Old 07-17-2018, 04:19 PM

567 posts, read 792,758 times
NOBODY should move to Phoenix without spending time here during the summer. Some people simply are intolerant of it.

I understand what it's like to be missing The Bu this time of year (Laguna's like our second home), but you need to remember how miserable it can be when it's hot along the Coast. Your feet burn in the sand until you nearly reach the waterline. A cousin said it was 104 in Laguna Niguel last week. Also, there's also the misery factor when the hillsides are on fire, and no matter how far away you are, you're breathing in smoke.

I can pass along some tricks about getting through this besides staying inside during the day and realizing that we're halfway through, and it will be better by October. (Hopefully!) Have your Alexa play ocean sounds. Watch live cams of the ocean online, on TV, or ocean/Bu videos on Youtube. Somehow, even watching the weather reports on the KTLA Morning News online helps, too, because one way or another, you'll have your marine layer.

Per getting out of town: Nothing really compares to the ocean, and I grew up along Lake Michigan. Other than just getting over to the beach, I'd suggest you explore Arizona. Yes, it will be cooler up in Sedona, Flagstaff, and Christopher Creek, but you can't say by how much on any given day. However, there's a greater chance of rain up there, and that will cool you off.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:37 AM

683 posts, read 858,610 times
The summer months are brutal. I once said that this dry heat is better than having humidity like in Miami, but I was wrong. I recently moved back to FL and I like that I can go outside and don't feel like I'm cooking. But Phoenix has the better weather IMO. Yes from about June to September it's brutal. But the rest of the year it's some awesome weather.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:22 PM

202 posts, read 222,240 times
This has got to be satire or parody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area