Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:53 AM

2,808 posts, read 3,191,637 times

Advertisements

Ok, but back to the average guy and girl I stop hiking in Phoenix in late April / early May depending on the temps. Then I start again in late October. Anything in or close to the summer is just way too hot no matter what time of day. I think this is true for most, if not almost all people in Phoenix or visitors. The rules are different if you're in top shape and have no medical issues whatsoever but then you can also go to Ironman But that's very few of us. For the rest of us - don't hike in the summer. If anything go on leisure strolls. Or go to the gym or do indoor sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 10:24 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,935,370 times
or, take your dog for a long walk by 6am, when, hopefully, its less than 100 degrees..
its just kinda bizarre that its 104 degrees here at 9am today...plus, the 50% humidity doesnt help either..

Old 08-05-2018, 10:24 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,757,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Ok, but back to the average guy and girl I stop hiking in Phoenix in late April / early May depending on the temps. Then I start again in late October. Anything in or close to the summer is just way too hot no matter what time of day. I think this is true for most, if not almost all people in Phoenix or visitors. The rules are different if you're in top shape and have no medical issues whatsoever but then you can also go to Ironman But that's very few of us. For the rest of us - don't hike in the summer. If anything go on leisure strolls. Or go to the gym or do indoor sports.
That’s certainly the very safe thing to do, however if I were that conservative about dangerous day to day activities I don’t see how I’d be comfortable even driving as it’s a far more dangerous daily activity than hiking early in the day on the months of May, Sept and Oct.

Ive been here 14 summers and have gone regularly year-round 3-4 days a week. The preserves are fairly busy that time of the day all summer long. I enjoy the change of seasons and the variety it brings. Right now the small cacti are blooming and the saguaro are producing fruit.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
That’s certainly the very safe thing to do, however if I were that conservative about dangerous day to day activities I don’t see how I’d be comfortable even driving as it’s a far more dangerous daily activity than hiking early in the day on the months of May, Sept and Oct.

Ive been here 14 summers and have gone regularly year-round 3-4 days a week. The preserves are fairly busy that time of the day all summer long. I enjoy the change of seasons and the variety it brings. Right now the small cacti are blooming and the saguaro are producing fruit.
this being our first full summer out here has been a real eye opener; not so much for the heat, as we have been coming out here for years, so were sort of knew what it would be like living here full time..

but, the different blooming seasons are sort of surprising; we were just talking about how there is an explosion of growth of many of our plants over the last 2 weeks or so..might be the rains/humidity increase, or, as you know from your 14 years here, is another one of the miraculous things that go on even with the staggering heat/humidity that is prevalent right now..

Old 08-05-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
or, take your dog for a long walk by 6am, when, hopefully, its less than 100 degrees..
its just kinda bizarre that its 104 degrees here at 9am today...plus, the 50% humidity doesnt help either..
Yeah we’re in a mini heat wave right now, if the humidity was 50% it’s much lower now we’re at 24% at 9:45am and the temps reading 102 with dew point in the low 50s. It’s warmer because it’s drier than it’s been, monsoon moisture is on a bit of a hiatus but looks like it’ll be back mid-late next week.

Yeah we take it easy with our pup this time of year, short early walks or after a rain storm on nights we get them. It’s now officially illegal to have your dog on any preserve trail when it’s over 100, putting yourself in a dumb position is one thing but a helpless dog or child is a completely worse thing imo.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
this being our first full summer out here has been a real eye opener; not so much for the heat, as we have been coming out here for years, so were sort of knew what it would be like living here full time..

but, the different blooming seasons are sort of surprising; we were just talking about how there is an explosion of growth of many of our plants over the last 2 weeks or so..might be the rains/humidity increase, or, as you know from your 14 years here, is another one of the miraculous things that go on even with the staggering heat/humidity that is prevalent right now..
That’s exactly right, I hear newcomers and visitors tell me we don’t have seasons, they’re clearly not paying attention if they think that’s the case. Right now isn’t as green as spring in the valley but there’s a secondary blooming cycle as the ocotillos regrow leaves, different varieties of succulents/cacti bloom and the saguaros are producing fruit again. In other parts of the state it’s looking downright lush, we were at grand falls two weeks ago it’s at high flow right now and even the agua fria bear black canyon city had above ground water flow like you usually see in spring.

You didn’t get to see a great spring of this was your first one but with an El Niño winter expected I’m
Hoping we get an average or above winter where you’ll see the valley explode with wild flowers in March/April it’s a stunning site!

Old 08-05-2018, 10:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,983,942 times
Quote:
I just do the gym, mainly because Planet Fitness is near where I work. I rather do it while I am still out than go fully home. But if I were to do the hikes/walks, I'd stop in May and start again in October.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:00 AM

we thought this last spring and winter was pretty incredible out here; if I recall, only 3 days with high temps below 60, and I swear there were times when we went many weeks without even a cloud in the sky..

Its been kind of disappointing the last few weeks, when its been so darn hot/humid, we cant spend as much time as we had been outside until about july 1st; but, hey, considering you can pretty much live outside most of the time from October until almost June, who's complaining!

I will admit one thing; I never thought than 105 degrees would feel "comfortable", but, when there is almost no humidity, and its around 105, we really like being outside; out of the sun of course! And, I never thought I would admit this, but when there is no humidity, and the temps are 100 or less, we actually like to drive around with the windows open!!

who 'da thought!

Last edited by wase4711; 08-05-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 11:13 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,023,391 times
There's a reason this region of the nation was sparsely populated until air conditioning was invented.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:20 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,311,825 times
Quote:
This just makes too much sense, which unfortunately is too difficult for some to comprehend. When the temperatures soar above 100 degrees, basic common sense should set in ... however, there are those who think they can handle anything & ignore the warnings, and that's why there are multiple cases of heat exhaustion which cause paramedics to have to rescue these morons. If certain people feel the urge to take the risk and hike in the extreme heat, so be it, but there shouldn't be any rescues. It's survival of the fittest and every person for himself, which is a fact of life.

Regarding your very sound advice about doing less strenuous activity in the hot weather, or going to a gym/doing indoor sports in a climate controlled environment, you should realize that in many cases we're dealing with bottom feeders who don't want to spend the money on a fitness center membership! No, they'd rather have their FREE parking, their FREE "workouts", and their FREE rescues courtesy of taxpayers. They'll make all kinds of excuses why they don't want to be in a gym, or why they don't want to take vacations to the high country and do their hikes in a much cooler location. Gotta love the midget mentalities of the world!

Quote:
we thought this last spring and winter was pretty incredible out here; if I recall, only 3 days with high temps below 60, and I swear there were times when we went many weeks without even a cloud in the sky..
It was a much warmer & drier winter than normal. On average, the months of December & January are quite cool and even on the cloudy side from time to time. The period from December through March is actually the wettest time of year in the Phoenix area, with the summer monsoon being only a secondary rainy season. But then we're talking about what's average. Mother Nature doesn't care about averages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
There's a reason this region of the nation was sparsely populated until air conditioning was invented.
Exactly! If air conditioning wasn't invented, or only available to the elite wealthy, Phoenix would be a small town, and Arizona would still be one of the least populated states in the nation.

Last edited by Valley Native; 08-05-2018 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area