Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 04:28 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times

Advertisements

My brand new car is around $450 a year, while my 12 year old beater car is $50 a year. Arizona bases tags on the age and value, so a newer car can be rather pricey compared to one 5-6 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 07:19 PM

421 posts, read 391,773 times
My understanding is that as long as we have not lived in Arizona more than 6 months in one calendar year we aren't considered permanent residents?? If we arrive in October 2019 and become permanent residents in June of 2020 that would be within those parameters? or no?? As long as we maintain our residency in our home state?

Resident Definition--for Arizona (We will not meet any of the following, based the dates above)

State law requires that you obtain an Arizona vehicle registration and driver license, immediately if any of the following applies:

You work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work).
You are registered to vote in Arizona.
You place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident.
You have a business with an office in Arizona that bases and operates vehicles in this state.
You obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident.
You have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona.
You remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.

Last edited by 4khansen; 07-27-2018 at 07:28 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 05:01 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Like the guy down the street from me, Washington plates with a Sanderson Ford

license frame

I two friends that are seasonal visitors, IL & MN who when they return this fall
will make AZ their place of residence because of the tax issue,
even being a bit
more with the auto insurance and registration it well off sets their liability
I'd let your MN friend to think twice about saying he lives in AZ and MN.

Read the following: Unbelievable but true. https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisb.../#63c3aaaa6c20

Big picture, you need to have your checking accounts in AZ, go to church there, have your cars registered there, boats, your license, etc. So living there 6 months and 1 day isn’t good enough. Do your homework so you are not like this couple who had to pay $600K back. See IRS Tax Migration | How Money Walks | How $2 Trillion Moved between the States - A Book By Travis H. Brown as to where the $$’s go.

“Minnesota’s loss is sunnier states’ gain. The bulk of the $6.45 billion that fled the state went to Florida; the Sunshine State siphoned off nearly $3 billion of Minnesota’s net AGI between 1992 and 2014. Arizona took in $1.58 billion during that same time period. Sure, Florida and Arizona offer an appealing alternative to harsh Minnesota winters – but there’s far more than weather preferences behind this massive migration of money. Florida levies no state income tax. Arizona keeps income tax low and property tax even lower.”

Also, read this:
The (MN) revenue department considers 26 factors in reviewing appeals of residency cases, including the location of the most actively used checking account, where children attend school and whether the taxpayer applied for resident or nonresident fishing, hunting or watercraft licenses in Minnesota. The state Supreme Court had previously ruled on two significant residency fights in which the taxpayers lost.
NBA referee Ken Mauer Jr. ran afoul of Minnesota’s tax laws after claiming residency in Fort Myers, Fla., and not paying Minnesota state income taxes in 2003 and 2004. Among the strikes against the St. Paul native, according to the Supreme Court decision, was that his efforts to sell his 10,600-square-foot home in Afton during those years were halfhearted.
Businessman William D. Larson, a Peterbilt truck dealership owner, moved to Las Vegas in 1998 and shifted belongings to his new home, including his extensive wine collection. He opened a Nevada bank account, registered cars there and canceled his Minnesota driver’s license.
But the court decided his connection with Minnesota during the 2002 through 2006 tax years was stronger than his connection with Nevada. He owned more property in Minnesota than in Nevada, spent more time in Minnesota than Nevada, registered more vehicles in Minnesota and kept bank accounts and mail delivery in Minnesota, the Supreme Court noted.” (from Minn. Supreme Court ruling may be costly for snowbirds - StarTribune.com )

So let's say your friend has a boat registered in MN, applies for an instate fishing or hunting licence, has hunting land etc, MN will easily prove that his roots are really in MN and not AZ. I refuse to claim AZ as my state of residence until I completely pull out of MN.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Don't know if they still do, but some local police departments look for out of state plates. When my kids were in school the cops would wait across the street to bust anyone with out of state plates dropping off school kids the first week of class. Because registration in Arizona is pretty pricey, lots of people try to skirt getting state plates.
This.

My neighbor has had his Vermont plates for 5+ years now. Cheap bastid.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:52 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
This.

My neighbor has had his Vermont plates for 5+ years now. Cheap bastid.
ADOT has an anonymous tip line for such scofflaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area