Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:37 AM

41 posts, read 164,446 times

Advertisements

I live near some pricey areas. It always amazes me that businesses think that people around here will shell out that sort of money for something, only to open, see how transient the population is here (especially the ones with money) and finding out that making money during 3 months of the year just won't cover their costs.

I give this business 2 years until they come to their senses and shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:47 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Exactly...It will be a tough draw to get them in.
Actually, I think it will be the opposite.

The home theatre crowd is exactly how their target market will be, people used to high end and comfortable seatings and great service. Home theatres are great, but you still can't see the newest releases and it still doesn't get you out of the house...this was you'll have the luxury of your own home and be able to get out and socialize.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Actually, I think it will be the opposite.
I agree.

IMO, the niche market for this is tremendous - People who come to enjoy a good movie - be waited on - relax in those comfortable - and probably sans the crying child!

Heck - dropping $70.00 for a few hours entertainment is not that much

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,991 times
Personally, I find eating anything other than finger food a distraction when trying to watch a movie at the same time (been to several movie theatres that offer food).

But to pay $70 just for the seat? And that doesn't include your drinks or anything? Just for the privilege of a cushy seat, listening to others place their orders in the dark, the clink clink of dropped silverware, waiters coming in and out with food...while trying to pay attention to what is going on on the screen? Not for me anyway.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:14 PM

264 posts, read 1,085,965 times
Nooo way......... My 52" HDTV and Blu-Ray is the only way to go.. you can buy the movie for like $10 less and it'll look and sound amazing on your home theater and you OWN it, you can have a beer, get comfy.

I don't go to the theaters anymore. I'll go out to a Sports game instead thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 PM

611 posts, read 2,308,080 times
I personally think that price is ridiculous for a movie. Only for a live performance would I pay that much, and even then the actors better be good.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Holy crap that's a lot of money!! I would consider going once in a blue moon, like for a special occassion or something, but definitely not a "normal routine". It had to be in Scottsdale though, huh?

Old 04-02-2008, 04:08 PM

24 posts, read 49,639 times
Yeah that's crazy. I'd rather stay home with my nice takeout and watch one in my comfy chair than fork out 35.00 plus to go to the movies. If I am going to spend that much money on a show than I'd rather go to the theatre. This will only work with the young unmarrieds or the older empty-nesters, though. And the only young and single will be in their 30's. I don't really see the market being all that big for a novelty like this.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:39 PM

285 posts, read 902,037 times
I have already replied but.....You know if I was rich I still wouldn't do this. I still prefer putting my money for something else, like a home theater. JMHO

Old 04-02-2008, 05:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I would try it and judge the experience for what it is worth. Its kind of like going to a MLB game. The cheap seats are fun but you have to experience the field seats at least once in your life. Not something to do all the time but at least once and if it is all they say it is maybe once in a while.

Home systems are also nice. Would love to build an inhouse theatre, not a living room with a big screen and surround sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area