Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:58 AM

551 posts, read 696,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes05 View Post
...I like dancing, music, movies, walks, taking in the culture, taking classes. I'm single so i would like to meet new people, not necessary for dating but, ill be new in a new place so i want to be able to do things where i can enjoy and not feel like an out cast. Also and this is important, every apartment i've seen on zillow or apartment.com is electric, I like cooking with gas, are there any apartments have gas? Is it easy to get around? bussing? cabs? I do plan to bring a car, hopefully. I'm not sure what else to ask, so if you have any advice feel free. Thank you
I'm going to go a little against the grain and maybe suggest you take a closer look at Albuquerque, NM especially if you are incredibly active in a on-your-feet arts scene. While it does exist in Phoenix, I want to give you options. I think AZ and NM would be better options than NV in terms of the things you have stated.
And I don't think you will find gas in an apartment setting. Try looking at townhomes or rental houses for gas service, its also more common in colder areas (Tucson gets colder than Phoenix) many houses in parts of Phoenix that had gas service don't really use it much anymore. Phoenix is very much a car city, but it has a great highway system and it is easy to get around by vehicle. There are absolutely things going on in every city at all times, one just needs to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 08:15 PM

784 posts, read 926,636 times
As a person that spends a lot of time in both places.....I would never consider living in Las Vegas and raising my kids there.

Times have been very hard on Las Vegas, although it has improved some the main basis of their economy being gambling is never going to come back the way it was before....too much gambling everywhere else taking peoples Vegas money before they even show up.

Each visit it seems like it has gotten dirtier and less sparkly than the time before.....reminds me of Atlantic City and the decline it went through.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
As a person that spends a lot of time in both places.....I would never consider living in Las Vegas and raising my kids there.

Times have been very hard on Las Vegas, although it has improved some the main basis of their economy being gambling is never going to come back the way it was before....too much gambling everywhere else taking peoples Vegas money before they even show up.

Each visit it seems like it has gotten dirtier and less sparkly than the time before.....reminds me of Atlantic City and the decline it went through.
Before 2008, this was very true, but the city is changing after the last recession nearly killed it. Manufacturing, tech, and distribution are a huge part of the Vegas economy now.

As far as the dirtiness, all major cities have that element in areas (maryvale/alhambra/south-central phx for your area).

There are things that people dont really consider about the Vegas area and its location. Vegas is about 30 minutes away from MT. Charleston (think Flagstaff area/White mountains) about 35/40 degrees cooler than the valley floor with a little ski resort for the winter, also about a 4 hour drive from the grand canyon as well as the beach.

I've lived in both locations and much prefer Vegas over Phoenix but to each their own.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:09 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,918,496 times
I have grown to despise las vegas and it's a shame because I really used to enjoy it. The recession hit vegas very hard and while the economy may or may not have recovered I believe it changed the city in ways that may never turn around. i'm not one to be overly cautious or fearful but vegas is now a dangerous place. Not to mention the city slogan is basically "come here and act like an idiot and no one will know". Too many tourist's, scammers and drug addicts for my taste. I love phoenix and am so glad we chose it over vegas as our new home.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:13 PM

784 posts, read 926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I have grown to despise las vegas and it's a shame because I really used to enjoy it. The recession hit vegas very hard and while the economy may or may not have recovered I believe it changed the city in ways that may never turn around. i'm not one to be overly cautious or fearful but vegas is now a dangerous place. Not to mention the city slogan is basically "come here and act like an idiot and no one will know". Too many tourist's, scammers and drug addicts for my taste. I love phoenix and am so glad we chose it over vegas as our new home.
I agree completely with your take, was just there again mainly due to a business meeting in Kingman and not wanting to drive back to Phoenix to fly back to Illinois.

On my last visit down to Fremont street was disgusted with what is actually going on there.....no longer risque...just flat out disgusting....I'm not sure I will ever go back to Vegas for a pleasure trip.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:21 AM

17 posts, read 17,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
I'm going to go a little against the grain and maybe suggest you take a closer look at Albuquerque, NM especially if you are incredibly active in a on-your-feet arts scene. While it does exist in Phoenix, I want to give you options. I think AZ and NM would be better options than NV in terms of the things you have stated.
And I don't think you will find gas in an apartment setting. Try looking at townhomes or rental houses for gas service, its also more common in colder areas (Tucson gets colder than Phoenix) many houses in parts of Phoenix that had gas service don't really use it much anymore. Phoenix is very much a car city, but it has a great highway system and it is easy to get around by vehicle. There are absolutely things going on in every city at all times, one just needs to look.
thank you so much, i never really thought about new mexico. I do want to be somewhere i can still enjoy the outdoors and enjoy the people and culture. I will be looking into renting first and my ultimate goal is to buy a townhome, no more buying a house, its too much work, lol My first priority is jobs, i and of course i see arizona is good with taxes, i guess thats why i looked also into nevada and with all that is going in nevada right now with entertainement wise. Im not a gambler so that is not a big deal to me. Safety also, is important in nevada i would only move to henderson or summerlin.

Arizona is has some beautiful places and i find myself applying for jobs more there, so hopefuly something come my way. I will look into Albuqurque, NM also.

thank you

Old 10-02-2018, 01:15 PM

125 posts, read 106,765 times
I would not recommend Vegas for anyone, really, and certainly not for a single mom and one of your kids. Honestly, I'd say choose a place near extended family, so you have a built in support system. But I don't know if that's an option for you.

Arizona has some incredibly beautiful places to visit, and outranks Nevada in every category in my book. Albuquerque is ok, and New Mexico outranks Vegas too in terms of enjoying the outdoors and the culture.

One major difference between living out west and living where you are is that it is extremely spread out here. Besides the heat, which can be suffocating for months on end, it will take you FOR.EV.VER to get anywhere. Just know that going in.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:57 AM

17 posts, read 17,768 times
thank you everyone, taking everyone's comments and really thinking about my choices.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:38 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,992,697 times
I have owned three homes in PHX and one in Las Vegas. If you are reliant on finding semi-skilled work, then Phoenix will be somewhat better, and slightly better schools in the neighborhoods where you will live. Rarely, super death heat in Las Vegas, that you get two solid months of in Phoenix. No income tax in Nevada.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:42 AM

994 posts, read 978,013 times
Phoenix is nicer overall . The first time I visited Phoenix, I loved it. 2nd time , not so much. Ive only been to Vegas once for a few days. What I liked about Vegas over PHX was how much smaller it was. PHX is so big it's kind of overwhelming. You feel like you'll never get to get a feel for the whole area unlike Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area