Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 11:50 AM

7,329 posts, read 12,395,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
If it were me, I'd chose Gilbert. It's very white picket fence like and one of the safest places in the country. It's very family oriented and has lots of parks, restaurants, etc. It's a suburb poster child. Downtown is very cool too

Chandler is mixed and the downtown area is OK but kinda has more ghetto areas than G-bert
The worst area of Chandler is the area just south of Downtown and north of the Loop 202. North Chandler is so-so, while the best parts of Chandler are South Chandler and West Chandler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 12:16 PM

51,068 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
If it were me, I'd chose Gilbert. It's very white picket fence like and one of the safest places in the country. It's very family oriented and has lots of parks, restaurants, etc. It's a suburb poster child. Downtown is very cool too

Chandler is mixed and the downtown area is OK but kinda has more ghetto areas than G-bert
"ghetto"????? Have you ever actually been in a ghetto?

Old 08-24-2018, 08:26 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,490,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron303 View Post
Hi there,

My husband and I are moving to Phoenix soon, and I'll be working at ASU Polytechnic in southeast Mesa. It's a great job offer that I couldn't turn down (great salary, benefits), but since we're two gay guys we're concerned about where to live. .
I think that is great. I am gay and in my 20's and really hope to someday achieve what you have. How long have you guys been together? I hope that your transition to PHX is smooth and enjoyable.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:48 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,853,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Most people recommend Central Phoenix because there’s an unexpectedly large concentration of LBGTQ folks that way. But this isn’t the kind of town where people are concerned with your lifestyle. You should be fine anywhere, but the West Chandler recommendation is credited as it’s a younger and more liberal part of the East Valley
Part of that reason has to be because Phoenix's main "gayborhood" is in the Melrose neighborhood (7th Avenue and Indian School) which is way too far to commute to Gilbert/Mesa area for. Lots of gay clubs, drag shows, and even rainbow-painted crosswalks on 7th avenue.

Given that I am not a member of this community, I am not familiar with any other gayborhoods that may exist in the metro. I wouldn't be surprised if there was one in Tempe or Scottsdale however, that seems to be the most likely options outside of Melrose.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:03 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,691,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Part of that reason has to be because Phoenix's main "gayborhood" is in the Melrose neighborhood (7th Avenue and Indian School) which is way too far to commute to Gilbert/Mesa area for. Lots of gay clubs, drag shows, and even rainbow-painted crosswalks on 7th avenue.

Given that I am not a member of this community, I am not familiar with any other gayborhoods that may exist in the metro. I wouldn't be surprised if there was one in Tempe or Scottsdale however, that seems to be the most likely options outside of Melrose.
Lots of rich gays in Arcadia and also lots in midtown/north central and the historic districts.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:33 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,853,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Lots of rich gays in Arcadia and also lots in midtown/north central and the historic districts.
Phoenix is a lot more liberal than people make it. All of those areas surround Melrose which I know has at least 10 gay bars in a one mile radius. Melrose is part of Midtown in the broad scheme of things, being in between the 7s and being south of Camelback. Besides, none of the areas you mentioned are in the East Valley. I guess in some ways Arcadia is East Valley (my criteria is east of the 51 for East Valley, and west of the I-17 for West Valley) but that's still way too far for the AZA airport area.

If I had to take a guess, Scottsdale or Tempe may be the only areas which such a community, with an edge to Tempe. If Scottsdale, it would be South Scottsdale, and not sure about Tempe.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:28 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
You bring up an interesting point.
In general, I'd expect a lot of rich gays based off the estimated cost of $233K to raise a child (couples without children) and that excludes the cost of college. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ent/357243002/ For me personally, I calculated another $130K for each one of our two kids for college. I'm not done yet. Then there was the opportunity cost of having a stay at home parent.

Another important reason for higher net worth is this factoid of higher level of education and income for gays https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...sexual-couples So yep, I anticipate a lot of pockets of wealthy PHX gay couples.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:42 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,691,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You bring up an interesting point.
In general, I'd expect a lot of rich gays based off the estimated cost of $233K to raise a child (couples without children) and that excludes the cost of college. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ent/357243002/ For me personally, I calculated another $130K for each one of our two kids for college. I'm not done yet. Then there was the opportunity cost of having a stay at home parent.

Another important reason for higher net worth is this factoid of higher level of education and income for gays https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...sexual-couples So yep, I anticipate a lot of pockets of wealthy PHX gay couples.
Gay people have kids too, you know? I'm sure you're right, in that they are less likely to do so, but I had to point that out as your point seemed to assume that none do.

Actually, gay male couples with kids tend to be the highest earners, so I don't think your theory is 100%. Most heterosexual couples can obtain children for free. Think about the substantial investment that a gay couple must make to do so. http://time.com/money/4490124/gay-co...utearn-others/

Old 08-25-2018, 10:44 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Gay people have kids too, you know? I'm sure you're right, in that they are less likely to do so, but I had to point that out as your point seemed to assume that none do.
Actually, I attempted to mention that when I said "couples without children". After reading my words, it was as clear as mud. Additionally, we all know several straight couples that don't have kids either. I looked it up: 17% of gay couples have children https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...-gay-families/ Overall, 66% of families have children.

Quote:
G

Actually, gay male couples with kids tend to be the highest earners, so I don't think your theory is 100%.
The bottom line is kids pull from a couples net worth. Gay or straight. I'm afraid to calculate what we spent. K-12, multiple traveling sports, undergrad expenses, help with dental school, medical school etc. Then the most expensive item for us which was the opportunity cost with my wife staying home. Without question, if we did it all over again, I would have added a couple more to our litter. Raising our kids was the highlight of our life.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:44 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,064,165 times
OP, when you check out west Chandler, go anyway cross the freeway and look at Ahwatukee Foothills too. Some people appreciate its proximity to S. Mtn., and it's not as flat as Chandler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area