Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:41 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
I live in the middle of nowhere and rarely see a scorpion. Have not seen one in 2 years (knock on wood). My friend in Surprise has had more scorpions in her house than I have.
That's a great bit of luck for sure. I hope you never do. It's funny that way, there can be a bunch in a place you'd never think would make a good home for them and none in a great location. Well yes, keep that wood around. lol Can I move in? Kidding of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puredope View Post
I've got some bad news for you OP, and a fun first post. Long time lurker here...

I was in S. Scottsdale for exactly one year. More specifically, I was over on Chaparral and Hayden, in a little condo community called Laguna San Juan. Great little area, really.

I'm an avid scorpion hunter, as I was in Chandler for over ten years. The scorpion situation in LSJ was on par, if not worse, than it was in Ocotillo (Chandler). And here I was thinking I could outsmart the scorpions.

Between Jackrabbit Trail and Pecos Lane, I probably killed north of 200 scorpions in that year. It was year-round too. I found one hanging out on my doorstep on xmas eve, if that says anything.

Ultimately your best bet is to visit the prospective area after dusk, with a black light, to see for yourself.
Why would you feel the need to kill them? If they are not in the house or otherwise bothering you, leave them alone!

Old 09-13-2018, 12:41 PM

843 posts, read 562,857 times
We live in Gilbert and see a lot of scorpions in the back yard using a black light, and some do get in the house occasionally. But I believe it is probably due to the fact that our lot borders onto a canal. It's basically a desert highway for critters. The subdivision is about 20 yrs old and not really near any rural area or fields, etc.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:13 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Why would you feel the need to kill them? If they are not in the house or otherwise bothering you, leave them alone!
Lol not happening if I ever see one. Don't need those things breeding and having baby scorpions around me.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:53 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
For real.

"Hey, lets move to the desert then destroy the wildlife because I don't like it!"

Old 09-13-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Lol not happening if I ever see one. Don't need those things breeding and having baby scorpions around me.
You're just letting harmful cockroaches now breed like rabbits, which spread disease and infest homes. Best of luck!

Old 09-13-2018, 04:14 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Killing off the roaches is a big part of scorpion control. With no ready prey around, the scorps will head over to your neighbors for dinner!

Old 09-13-2018, 05:11 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You're just letting harmful cockroaches now breed like rabbits, which spread disease and infest homes. Best of luck!
I spray to kill roaches. Actually I've never seen a roach but it kills the crickets. Scorpions would be a manual kill

Old 09-14-2018, 06:12 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
For real.

"Hey, lets move to the desert then destroy the wildlife because I don't like it!"
Really? Are you a cactus hugger? I'm with asufan. I kill the scorpion food supply (bugs) and I also go on black light hunts. I came in town to check on the house last week and found two of them in my buckets of water. If they stayed outside, that's one thing. But they don't so I have to kill them. I will kill any unwanted guests including thieves.

The reality is if you live in the desert, which isn't indigenous to humans, then you too are part of the problem. After all, you helped "pave paradise and put up a parking lot." Peace!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJIuP7zEVeM

Old 09-14-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Really? Are you a cactus hugger? I'm with asufan. I kill the scorpion food supply (bugs) and I also go on black light hunts. I came in town to check on the house last week and found two of them in my buckets of water. If they stayed outside, that's one thing. But they don't so I have to kill them. I will kill any unwanted guests including thieves.

The reality is if you live in the desert, which isn't indigenous to humans, then you too are part of the problem. After all, you helped "pave paradise and put up a parking lot." Peace!
Humans have lived here for thousands of years. The birthplace of civilization was a desert. I don't know what you're rambling on about, but I can tell you this: scorpions were here LONG before we were. Live and let live, man. They're not going to bother you, but rather help you. And I didn't help pave jack squat, I bought a 30 yr old condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area