Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,843 times

Advertisements

Hi all, My name is Shane and i'm new to the forum!

I apologize in advance on the essay.

So here is my situation and back story. Me and my family moved down here to Surprise 3 years ago to be with our family out here, with the intent to get a house of our own. But life took a unexpected turn when my Aunt was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Me and my family decided to move in with my Aunt so we can take care of her and my Grandmother who just beat breast cancer. Its been a up and down battle with it all but sadly my Aunt did not win the battle... (sorry I don't mean this to be sad) The house we have been living in is owned by one her her friends that she grew up with. With my Aunts passing she stopped everything. Didn't accept rent and is now putting the house up for sale Even though rent was always paid and on time for the last 7 years and gave us ( 2 younger sisters, mom, grandma, and 1 year old Nephew) until Sept 15 to be out. We have been looking all over but everywhere is asking for 3x the rent. Yes between us all we make it no problem but I am a Artist that gets paid on commissions and starting Uber back up for more of a on paper legit job, My mother has a new job because her last employer wasn't Legit when it comes paperwork. Sister is a Server and Grandma is retired. And the baby does baby stuff. So we cannot show it at the moment on Paper. So places have been iffy when going through these rental agencies.... I wish it was like the old days were everyone got to meet each other in person and base it off that. I tried doing that a few times these past few weeks but all Ended in scams and at a dead end. Good ol' Craigslist.

So what I am asking is if anyone knows a Home owner or home to rent that could work with us, meet us. I'm only asking as I am out of options at this point and do not know what to do. I Saw this forum and thought, "hey it cant hurt to try". We can afford up to 1350.00 a month. We have the first month and security/deposit. We are clean and responsible. Will do the yard work if needed. Keep the house properly maintained as 2 of us come from years of construction background. We are just at a dead end. Well I appreciate your time for reading this and any help you can offer if possible.

You can Message me on here if anyone has any help Thank you again.

Cheers!

Last edited by ShushDraws; 09-04-2018 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add something in thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 01:19 AM

3,710 posts, read 2,445,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShushDraws View Post
We have been looking all over but everywhere is asking for 3x the rent. Yes between us all we make it no problem but I am a Artist that gets paid on commissions and starting Uber back up for more of a on paper legit job, My mother has a new job because her last employer wasn't Legit when it comes paperwork. Sister is a Server and Grandma is retired. And the baby does baby stuff. So we cannot show it at the moment on Paper. So places have been iffy when going through these rental agencies.... I wish it was like the old days were everyone got to meet each other in person and base it off that. I tried doing that a few times these past few weeks but all Ended in scams and at a dead end. Good ol' Craigslist.

So what I am asking is if anyone knows a Home owner or home to rent that could work with us, meet us. I'm only asking as I am out of options at this point and do not know what to do. I Saw this forum and thought, "hey it cant hurt to try". We can afford up to 1350.00 a month. We have the first month and security/deposit. We are clean and responsible. Will do the yard work if needed. Keep the house properly maintained as 2 of us come from years of construction background. We are just at a dead end. Well I appreciate your time for reading this and any help you can offer if possible.
They're asking 3X the rent you were paying? OK.

Your mother is working now. She is earning income, but I assume it's not enough to pay for a new place to rent.

What can't you "show on paper?" Income?

Sister is a server. She's working and earning. Gramma is retired so she has a pension. You're starting up an Uber job.

So, it's you, sister, Gramma, Sister, and a baby = 5 people all wanting to rent the same place.

What kind of place? A 2-bedroom?

Will all due respect I assume that you (or some of you / all of you) have bad credit.

Best of luck. Wish I could help but I'm not renting at the moment.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
They're asking 3X the rent you were paying? OK.

Your mother is working now. She is earning income, but I assume it's not enough to pay for a new place to rent.

What can't you "show on paper?" Income?

Sister is a server. She's working and earning. Gramma is retired so she has a pension. You're starting up an Uber job.

So, it's you, sister, Gramma, Sister, and a baby = 5 people all wanting to rent the same place.

What kind of place? A 2-bedroom?

Will all due respect I assume that you (or some of you / all of you) have bad credit.

Best of luck. Wish I could help but I'm not renting at the moment.

Sorry I meant asking proof of 3X the rent. Not an increase of 3X. And not a 2 bedroom. Looking at a 4 Bed. And only 1 of us has iffy credit. I appreciate the luck! and the reply.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:49 PM

746 posts, read 885,789 times
Have you checked out Apartments.com or padmapper.com? Padmapper will list everything that's available to rent. Just be aware that you will have to call to get the current rent price because that site doesn't update. It is helpful though, to see exactly what's out there.

I was looking and I eliminated Surprise because of the high cost and commute to Phoenix. You may have to broaden your search area.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:01 PM

15,254 posts, read 13,049,700 times
Quote:
Just so you know, “work with us” is a red flag to landlords. It usually means the new tenants will pay the move-in costs and then miss the second month’s rent.

Let’s take you one at a time.

Grandma gets Social Security? It can’t be garnished, so that does the LL no good if you stop paying rent.

Mom has a new job and no work history.

You are an artist and about to start doing Uber, which is a business, not a job.

Your sister is a server, so has probably been underreporting her tip income.

You might have to do something like two rooms in a lower-end motel for now. Any LL with two brain cells to rub together is going to notice the lack of verifiable income.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:02 PM
HDL

3,217 posts, read 6,799,346 times
Hello Shane,

You're in a tough spot and I pray that you find the right housing situation quickly. I have three bits of advice that I hope may be of help to you -

1) Sign up on the Nextdoor app for where you currently live and post right away to see if anyone knows of any homes for rent in your price range and circumstances. It is better than Craigslist and you can explain your situation.
2) Check with your local city to see if they know of any resources available for your particular situation. Also check with surrounding cities.
3) City Data forums can be helpful for some issues, but not really for what you're needing right now. Don't spend much time here hoping to find an understanding landlord with the time constraints that you're in.

Best of luck in your search! Please post to let us know how things turn out for you and your family ! I'm rooting for you!!

Old 09-10-2018, 07:07 AM

3,710 posts, read 2,445,526 times
Quote:
Sorry I meant asking proof of 3X the rent. Not an increase of 3X. And not a 2 bedroom. Looking at a 4 Bed. And only 1 of us has iffy credit. I appreciate the luck! and the reply.
OK, thanks for clarifying.

They are strict on the 3X rent rule in Phoenix?

Best of luck.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:53 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,271,597 times
When I rent units I'm looking for 2 things in that income requirement. First is the actual income to pay the rent, which it doesn't look like you have. The second is garnishable wages in the event that things go bad i can still get paid what is owed, which you don't have.

The question at the end of the day is always going to be how do I get paid? With your situation the answer is unclear. If you stop paying rent the eviction is fast and easy but if I can't see a clear way to go after you for the damages afterwards then I will always decline.

Get a real job, Uber isn't, and report your tips correctly. Those two things will solve all your problems. Also, underreporting tips will hurt you in retirement by reducing your social security payments. The miniscule extra you get a year by underreporting doesn't actually benefit you so stop doing it, plus it is tax evasion and punishable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area