Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:53 AM

6 posts, read 20,829 times

Advertisements

Hey guys just wanted to try and clear a few things up. First off my girlfriend and I are planning on a move from Cleveland Ohio to the Chandler/Gilbert area Sept 1. Im a little confused as to just how the "bad areas" and "good areas" are stretched out? Here in Cleveland it is very simple. West and East. The further away from downtown Cleveland typically the safest. There are parts of Cleveland's east side that are rough...very bad...like east cleveland in general. Just as there are some shady spots on the west side. The general difference I am getting from all the info on here about the Phoenix metro area is it all looks the same. It is not like this in Cleveland. You can clearly tell an older unsafe suburb from a new family oriented one out here. People who I have talked with tell me Chandler/Gilbert area is good to relocate to. I was told stay away from downtown Chandler and west of the city. But as I research apartment prices and look at pictures EVERYTHING LOOKS ALIKE and there is not much difference in price. Out in Cleveland you get what you pay for and can really just look at a place and know if it is safe or not. To sum it all up how does a person who is used to night and day city differences tell the good areas from the bad areas out in the Phoenix area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 11:16 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,188,765 times
It all seems the same. You can tell out here if a place is unsafe. They are usually older, run-down neighborhoods. Many are probably not "unsafe" even, but just less desirable. You also get what you pay for out here.

Some of the most unsafe areas would be south phx and maryvale. There are some others scattered around.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 AM

39,124 posts, read 51,388,584 times
It can be tough just looking at pictures on the internet, but when you get here you can tell for the most part. You might think our bad areas look pretty good coming from an eastern city, but if you compare them to the other areas of Phoenix you see, you will get the picture. Phoenix metro is a collection of suburbs that once were little towns out in agricultural areas. The "core" of these small towns is often rotten while the outer part is new, shiny and safe.

If you see something that you might like, ask. There are many people on this forum who really know the areas well. Gilbert and Chandler are pretty good areas overall but there are bad spots near the former downtown of Chandler.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:30 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,621,170 times
Look for Graffiti and unkempt lawns/neighborhoods.

If you search the threads on the board you will find that bad pockets are scattered almost everywhere throughout the city.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:48 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,724,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Look for Graffiti and unkempt lawns/neighborhoods.

If you search the threads on the board you will find that bad pockets are scattered almost everywhere throughout the city.
I agree! I've even seen Graffiti in one part of Scottsdale and for years people had told me that only the Wealthy lived there. Well, not in that part of Scottsdale, as you could also tell from the lawns, etc. too.

It really does seem scattered, but there are some really nice places in Chandler and Gilbert to live in. You just have to be aware of the surroundings.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 PM

6 posts, read 20,829 times
Thanks guys!
I guess it just confuses me how you could be in a nice area and minutes away be bad/ghetto parts. Plus I am noticing a lot of people not feeling the same about certain areas or cities. Maryvale and S. Phoenix everyone says is bad...so i trust that much.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:52 PM

39,124 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanc2 View Post
Thanks guys!
I guess it just confuses me how you could be in a nice area and minutes away be bad/ghetto parts. Plus I am noticing a lot of people not feeling the same about certain areas or cities. Maryvale and S. Phoenix everyone says is bad...so i trust that much.
I don't think our "bad" is the same as your bad. We don't have anything that approaches the ghetto of an eastern city in looks or danger.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:27 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,216,681 times
I relocated here from Cleveland in September. I am not near Chandler/Gilbert. (I am in northern Phoenix/northern Scottsdale, which I believe is a good 20-30 miles or more north of Chandler/Gilbert). But what the posters are telling you is correct. Phoenix area is an entirely different animal than Cleveland.

I live in one of the newer/higher end areas of town. (I would basically compare it to a tad upwards of Beachwood with palm trees and cactuses...) But I can drive 10 minutes and know that I will see a neighborhood I am not very comfortable in (west of 32nd/Greenway comes to mind, and I know that is far from the "bottom of the barrel worst" Phoenix area has to offer, and even there, is absolutely nowhere near as bad as even the "best of the worst" Cleveland had to offer...). I was always afraid of getting lost out here in one of the bad areas since I really dont know where they are. The one and only time I got a little misdirected (not lost lol!) just happened to be in Paradise Valley. Which happens to be one of the most highest priced areas of town where the "lower end" average home price has to be north of a few million lol!...

Also remember as a general Phoenix area is much newer than Cleveland. And the architecture and such does not weather as bad as there is no snow and ice beating it down. So even buildings that look "newer" from a Cleveland perspective do not give the true picture of what the neighborhood you are in is really like.

Walk the neighborhood. Go into shops/stores. Sense the feel you get. Look at the landscaping. Look at how well people care for their homes. Look how clean it is. Look at the type of vehicles (or abandoned vehicles). Look at the type of stores. Look for graffitti. Look at the types of folks you see walking around.

Also be prepared-Phoenix is HUGE compared to Cleveland, both geographically and population wise. A word to the wise: Find where you are going to work THEN find where you are going to live. In Cleveland, say you arent familiar with city streets and you take a job "in Cleveland" that ends up being on the opposite side of town you live in. Your commute would nonethelessbe doable, and most likely in the 20 minute range depending on freeways/cross streets. Do not make that assumption about Phoenix. You could end up with an absolutely ridiculous commute.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:29 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,621,170 times
A prime example of Ghetto being right next to Upper Crust is Santa Monica or Sunset blvd in L.A...It seems many Western cities are setup this way.

You will see areas that are single family housing described as "Ghetto" but are far from the Eastern City type of project housing...

Old 04-05-2008, 04:47 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,974,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
I agree! I've even seen Graffiti in one part of Scottsdale and for years people had told me that only the Wealthy lived there. Well, not in that part of Scottsdale, as you could also tell from the lawns, etc. too.

It really does seem scattered, but there are some really nice places in Chandler and Gilbert to live in. You just have to be aware of the surroundings.

Besides the resorts and such in Scottsdale I can't see a difference in the neighborhoods around the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area