Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 06:01 PM

34 posts, read 47,122 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have searched 4 areas to move and finally have narrowed it down to 2, Gibert AZ. or PalmDesert/Palm Springs areas. We are retired, in our 70's and are primarily moving because of my health issues I cannot get medical services where we are living now in Chico CA.
Our budget is to purchase a house under $300,000, which we can do either in Palm Desert Sun City or in Gilbert Az. Both cities have the medical services. And they both are HOT, which is good for being able to have access to swimming pools- Swimming is the best thing I can do to maintain my Vascular Disease.

Pro issues for Gilbert AZ is has a lower crime score and seems to offer more services and activities then Palm Desert. And there is Mayo Clinic, which is one of the best medical services, and they take Medicare and my Supplemental. People describe Gilbert as having a "Community Environment and active City Development geared toward a better lifestyle for all".
Con issues for Gilbert AZ is there is more people and just congestion trying to get from place to place.

Pro issues for Palm Springs/Palm Desert it is smaller and less crowds everywhere. There is Kaiser Perm. Medical Services which is an option with my Retirement. We like the Palm Desert Sun City Community.
Con issues for Palm Springs is the High Crime. And I have been told more then once it use to be a great community but is a "dump" now with the Rich living behind their gated communities. And there really isn't a Community Identity anymore.

Thanks- Sandra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 06:41 PM

322 posts, read 240,903 times
Take a look at taxes & cost of living. You'll pay more in CA. And your $300K will also go further in AZ. IF you're going to live in a desert, why pay CA prices for it?

Old 12-10-2018, 07:14 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,896,985 times
Mayo clinic is a pretty good distance from Gilbert.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:52 AM

673 posts, read 460,852 times
I know Palm Desert and Palm Springs. There are so many medical facilities in that area it's hard to go wrong. Try looking at Palm Desert Greens. Yes it is manufactured homes, but, you own your lot. Low monthly H.O.A
My folks lived there for twenty years.

Don't confuse Palm Desert with Palm Springs. They are miles apart and different. I have been going to PS and PD since I was a little kid in the 1950's. Be prepared for heat in the summer, brutal heat.....just like Phoenix

Old 12-11-2018, 08:58 AM

277 posts, read 273,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoPoppy View Post
My husband and I have searched 4 areas to move and finally have narrowed it down to 2, Gibert AZ. or PalmDesert/Palm Springs areas. We are retired, in our 70's and are primarily moving because of my health issues I cannot get medical services where we are living now in Chico CA.
Our budget is to purchase a house under $300,000, which we can do either in Palm Desert Sun City or in Gilbert Az. Both cities have the medical services. And they both are HOT, which is good for being able to have access to swimming pools- Swimming is the best thing I can do to maintain my Vascular Disease.

Pro issues for Gilbert AZ is has a lower crime score and seems to offer more services and activities then Palm Desert. And there is Mayo Clinic, which is one of the best medical services, and they take Medicare and my Supplemental. People describe Gilbert as having a "Community Environment and active City Development geared toward a better lifestyle for all".
Con issues for Gilbert AZ is there is more people and just congestion trying to get from place to place.

Pro issues for Palm Springs/Palm Desert it is smaller and less crowds everywhere. There is Kaiser Perm. Medical Services which is an option with my Retirement. We like the Palm Desert Sun City Community.
Con issues for Palm Springs is the High Crime. And I have been told more then once it use to be a great community but is a "dump" now with the Rich living behind their gated communities. And there really isn't a Community Identity anymore.

Thanks- Sandra
Gilbert is a suburba very large metro, Palm Springs is part of a small metro that’s going to be the main difference

Old 12-11-2018, 10:52 AM

I just read 1janiedough's thread below this one. So shocked on how much people pay for Medical Insurance-on our retirement income we would be at the poverty level if we had to pay similar.
On this note, I called Mayo Clinic yesterday to ask about how the process worked on becoming a Patient. She said they are overwhelmed with so many people moving to the Phoenix area and they have plans on enlarging within the next 5 years...They have a Medallion Program that costs $6000 per year and it provides easy access to services and is a "Concierge Service". Otherwise you can apply and provide medical history and what department you need a Doctor. She said some departments are "Not" taking New Patients especially on "Government Medical", like we have Medicare and AARP Supplemental. She said Mayo Clinic is taking less and less Medicare new Patients.
I called our friends in Mesa who have Mayo Clinic Medical and they are on Medicare and AARP Supp just like us and said that Mayo Clinic charges them $150 to $200 each month Each
if they have services that month. She said they really don't know how Mayo clinic figures it and it is a complicated statement! She said that it is so important they keep Mayo Services they don't care!
The lady I spole to yesterday at Mayo was very patient and informative but left me discouraged too. I would like some feedback from anyone here that has Medicare and Mayo Clinic Medical that can tell me their experience with them, especially financially. Thanks, Sandra

Old 12-11-2018, 01:20 PM

673 posts, read 460,852 times
Go to United Healthcare supplemental and buy the PPO plan. It ain't cheap but it is like having the Keys to the Castle when it comes to medical care.

I wouldn't use AARP as they supported ho'bama care.
Just looked how that worked out. It only works for people that won't.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:09 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,883,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoPoppy View Post
I just read 1janiedough's thread below this one. So shocked on how much people pay for Medical Insurance-on our retirement income we would be at the poverty level if we had to pay similar.
On this note, I called Mayo Clinic yesterday to ask about how the process worked on becoming a Patient. She said they are overwhelmed with so many people moving to the Phoenix area and they have plans on enlarging within the next 5 years...They have a Medallion Program that costs $6000 per year and it provides easy access to services and is a "Concierge Service". Otherwise you can apply and provide medical history and what department you need a Doctor. She said some departments are "Not" taking New Patients especially on "Government Medical", like we have Medicare and AARP Supplemental. She said Mayo Clinic is taking less and less Medicare new Patients.
I called our friends in Mesa who have Mayo Clinic Medical and they are on Medicare and AARP Supp just like us and said that Mayo Clinic charges them $150 to $200 each month Each
if they have services that month. She said they really don't know how Mayo clinic figures it and it is a complicated statement! She said that it is so important they keep Mayo Services they don't care!
The lady I spole to yesterday at Mayo was very patient and informative but left me discouraged too. I would like some feedback from anyone here that has Medicare and Mayo Clinic Medical that can tell me their experience with them, especially financially. Thanks, Sandra
If you are obsessed with Mayo, then be prepared to wait and pay through the nose..
plenty of other great doctors/health programs out here, but if you are obsessed with Mayo, brace yourself ..

Old 12-11-2018, 04:49 PM

I am not obsessed with Mayo but it is sounding expensive. With my Vascular Disease I have to buy compression garments and other services that Medicare does not pay for. So if we had to pay $150 to $200 per month for each of us like our friends in Mesa that have Mayo we couldn't afford it. Kaiser Permenente on the other hand pays for some of the items I need on a regular basis.
Palm Desert having Kaiser is a big plus financially.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,883,600 times
then, if medical costs are your primary concern, moving to Az to be near Mayo is probably not your best move..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area