Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 11:16 AM

2,786 posts, read 7,447,459 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I received a mailer from Cox encouraging me to upgrade from our current Scientific Altanta box (a clunky beast from 2005 or so) to a new Contour box. The mailer and the website it directed me to (http://cox.com/tvupdate) explicitly said that the equipment swap was offered at no charge at all in an effort to get everyone to use more up-to-date equipment, regardless of channel lineup.

Today, I received an email confirmation of the order. Unfortunately, the email stated that I had signed up for an array of new channels that would increase my bill by over $50 per month. I contacted Cox and the representative was unable to honor the original offer of an equipment swap at no charge, so I ended up cancelling the order entirely. We'll live with the Scientific Atlanta clunker until such time as Cox keeps its promises or we drop Cox service.

I'm curious, though: Has anyone else had the same experience? Is this just Cox's latest bait-and-switch, or did something go uniquely wrong with my order? I'd be interested in knowing if anyone was actually able to obtain the Contour box at no added cost.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:37 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times
In this case I would suspect incompetence on the part of the Cox representative you spoke with. If you are really interested in doing the swap, take the mailer and your ancient cable box to a Cox store. I would be surprised if that didn't end up with the desired result.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:44 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,675 times
My guess is that a new box requires you to sign up for a different channel lineup than what you had with the outdated box. Offering you more of what you don't want for more money.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
In this case I would suspect incompetence on the part of the Cox representative you spoke with. If you are really interested in doing the swap, take the mailer and your ancient cable box to a Cox store. I would be surprised if that didn't end up with the desired result.
I may do that, but part of the appeal was that the transaction, as touted in the Cox mailer, required no effort on my part other than filling out a quick online form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
My guess is that a new box requires you to sign up for a different channel lineup than what you had with the outdated box. Offering you more of what you don't want for more money.
That's always been my understanding: Having a Contour box required an Advanced TV package. The mailer, however, made no mention of that at all, suggesting that even those of us who get the lowly "TV Economy" package (and still pay way too much for it) were encouraged to use a Contour box at no added cost for their limited channel lineup.

Follow-up: A few hours later, I received another email from Cox indicating my Contour box had been shipped, despite the cancellation of the order. I called Cox and the representative I spoke to indicated that the previous representative had cancelled the channel upgrade but not the equipment order, so it's likely I will have to make an effort to return the Contour box. I've filed a complaint with the City of Phoenix, which licenses Cox to provide service with city limits. I've done this before with little effect, but why not try again?

https://www.phoenix.gov/its/cable-te...-to-city-staff

Old 01-08-2019, 02:48 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,675 times
I feel for you. It does seem like they weren't upfront about an increase in your monthly billing. They should have stated something on the page, like "new Contour subscribers must choose from one of the following plans..." The site mentions "at least one of your receivers can't keep up with the new features available and will eventually lose access to all channels". I wonder when the latter part goes into effect. You should stay on your current plan as long as you are satisfied with it more or less. They obviously don't have any real incentive to keep you on the economy package.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:46 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
I suspect there was fine print in the long list of "terms and agreement", which referred to something that pertained to the extra channels you got unexpectedly when you signed up to upgrade to the new Cox Contour.

I'm not a fan of Cox Communications, I only subscribe to their high speed internet and phone, I don't watch TV that much so there's no reason for me to subscribe to their cable TV service, or whatever it's referred to now.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:03 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,269,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I'm not a fan of Cox Communications, I only subscribe to their high speed internet and phone, I don't watch TV that much so there's no reason for me to subscribe to their cable TV service, or whatever it's referred to now.
I'm not a fan either. I dumped cable TV years ago. I do use Roku for streaming and stick with free channels and Amazon Prime Video (the freebies). I use a laptop at home so I've kept my internet service, the cost of which just increased again.

I see offers come through the mail but I'm always leery of hidden costs and what I have is fine.

I notice a pattern of two increases in one year, none the next, repeat. I have an old plan but that doesn't stop the rates from climbing. 87.99/month now. I would love to see some real competition in our area.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:15 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
Unfortunately...I feel you. My latest run in with Cox was 100% an incompetent "customer service" person that completely screwed up my accounts and service. I dumped them and went with CenturyLink (data only) but man this service is slow. Supposed to be getting 80Mb/s (bonded ADSL) but I am lucky to see 50Mb/s. Really miss my Gigablast...but at least we cut out the TV portion of any of the services.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
I feel your pain, Exit . . .

Cox has proven time and time again, they are the SLEAZIEST and MOST UNETHICAL company I have ever had dealings with. Literally the only company I feel the need to scrutinize their bill each and every month prior to submitting payment.

As soon as I am able to locate a qualified Antenna Installer, I plan to drop them and just realigned my TV Watching Habits.

Good Luck with your dealings with The Crooked Monopoly.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I suspect there was fine print in the long list of "terms and agreement", which referred to something that pertained to the extra channels you got unexpectedly when you signed up to upgrade to the new Cox Contour.
I went back and looked at the mailer I received. Sure enough, there was some fine print at the bottom -- so small that my half-century-old eyes literally had to squint to read it. The text says something like "offer available only to current Advanced TV subscribers."

I'll accept a small sliver of responsibility for not getting out a magnifying glass to read every word on the mailer. Nevertheless, there are so many things Cox did to compound this situation:

-- They should have sent the mailer only to current Advanced TV subscribers, not customers like me who have bare bones channel packages.

-- When my order for an equipment swap came in, someone should have noticed that I didn't have the required channel package and then contacted me to see what I wanted to do. Instead, someone at Cox made a convenient assumption that I also wanted more channels.

-- When my order for new channels was cancelled, the representative should have also cancelled my equipment shipment.

After arguing with Cox representatives on the phone yesterday, I finally got someone to agree to send me a prepaid mailing box for return shipment of the Contour box on the way to my house. I'm thinking, however, that it may be better for me to return the box in person to a Cox store, as much as that feels like a trip to the DMV. At least that way I'll have a receipt to document the return of the equipment.

Last edited by exit2lef; 01-09-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area