Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:47 AM

16 posts, read 18,839 times

Advertisements

Silly but true, I want to move to the Phoenix area, but am afraid of the affects of the extreme dryness there, in terms of its impact on my physical health.

I am wondering if other people have dealt with this issue, and either found adequate solutions like humidifiers, lotions, and other things, and also whether people have found the dryness to be debilitating as in like nose bleeds, dry eyes, chapped lips, and so forth.

Obviously millions of people live in extremely dry climates, but to those who are extra sensitive, are there substantive solutions, or is this possible flaw worth the positives of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 06:09 AM

551 posts, read 693,109 times
If you are severely sensitive to dryness in humid climates, you will be miserable. Chapstick and lotion works for most people here, many are not even bothered by it. But if you have a skin condition where it is aggravated by dryness, half of the year you will feel like a lizard.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:10 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
I had sinus problems flare up when I moved/lived there. I think due to dryness. And, dry skin, whoa. You either get used to that, accept it or fight it, which is futile.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:09 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laguy1059 View Post
Silly but true, I want to move to the Phoenix area, but am afraid of the affects of the extreme dryness there, in terms of its impact on my physical health.

I am wondering if other people have dealt with this issue, and either found adequate solutions like humidifiers, lotions, and other things, and also whether people have found the dryness to be debilitating as in like nose bleeds, dry eyes, chapped lips, and so forth.

Obviously millions of people live in extremely dry climates, but to those who are extra sensitive, are there substantive solutions, or is this possible flaw worth the positives of the area?
It can be extremely dry, but it's usually not that way all year. In fact, Phoenix is situated in one of the "wettest" deserts in the world. Our main wet season is winter, and the humidity can be on the high side during the mornings & late at night, even on clear days. The humidity can also be high during the summer monsoon (July, August, part of September), and you definitely feel how sultry it can be that time of year. The predominant time of year in which the extreme dryness will be a problem is spring & early summer, especially late April, May, and June.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:37 PM

656 posts, read 813,176 times
I moved here from living on the ocean for a decade. I adapted after a month.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:49 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,708,848 times
I don't have any of those problems, but just use a little more lotion, perhaps.

I do know someone who installed a whole-house humidifying system, though.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:03 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times
I get dry eyes but it's much worse in winter when I add central heating to the dry air.

I actually find for the most part that dryness is better for my health than humidity...everything hurts much less here (old injuries, arthritis). I don't even use lotion except on my face and hands (that is probably more rare and my skin gets dry but it doesn't bug me too much. I always have something (lipstick or Burt's Bees) on my lips though.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:23 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,975,300 times
I would get bloody noses a few times a year from the dry ess but now I see a humidifier at night when it is dry and that helps.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:51 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,279 times
There are 4.5 million people in the Phoenix metro area. I can't imagine that many people find it debilitating to the point of not being able to function, otherwise no one would live here!

I have dry eye syndrome, but it's familial. (thanks, Mom) My symptoms are worsened by staring at a computer screen all day. When it's bad I use warm compresses on my eyes 2x per day.

I have a water softener and use lots of lotion and lip conditioner. I don't sun bathe and always wear a hat if I'm outdoors for any length of time.

I have a humidifier, but I don't ever use it. Rh in my house hovers around 43%. Must be from all of my hot air.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
Lotion, Chapstick (a lot), eye drops and I’m a native. You’ll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area