Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:48 AM

92 posts, read 311,697 times

Advertisements

You folks are very lucky that vegaspilgrim and others take the time to share their insight. This leads me to wonder why doesn't ASU offers any orientation to their campus for grad students. Undergrads, sure, focus on the dorms...but wouldn't each program have a fairly in-depth "welcome to our community" program that seasoned grad students put on? I'm at Indiana University in Bloomington (very small) and most academic departments here go all out for their grad students, given detailed recommendations on apartments, even helping them find apartments, giving tours, making their transition very seamless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 01:31 PM

12 posts, read 53,294 times
I know in my case my PhD program paid for an apartment hunting trip, and there are housing boards on the website. I think the biggest problem is that ASU's grad programs attract a lot of different types of students. Many of the students in my program already live in the area or have families, while others are single or international students here on their own so cookie-cutter recommendations wouldn't work. Also, because the area is so large there are a ton of options from living in an apartment complex right next to campus to living in a house in the larger sprawl. I just made my trip out and I'm very happy with my new apartment.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 PM

717 posts, read 1,062,805 times
I'm glad you guys have recieved some honest answers about Tempe. While I love ASU and think Tempe can be a lot of fun, four years of being constantly surrounded by the city's infamous crime has me counting the days until I can get out of here. It's not bad enough that it should deter anyone from studying here, but I certainly wouldn't want to stay after graduation. Also, you should know that traffic in Tempe, at least south of the University, is absolutely HORRIBLE. Mill avenue, Broadway, Southern, Rural...all get so congested at certain hours that a 5 minute car trip easily becomes 20 minutes of brake lights.

Buses meanwhile are pretty inconsistent and overcrowded. Some days the buses will just pass my stop without picking me up because they are so full and I end up late for class. Other days they don't show up at all and you end up waiting 2 or 3 times as long as you are supposed to. As for biking, it is terrible in Tempe. I see people driving their cars in the bike lanes all the time, and the aforementioned traffic makes it a less-than-pleasant experience anyway.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:58 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,040,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
I'm glad you guys have recieved some honest answers about Tempe. While I love ASU and think Tempe can be a lot of fun, four years of being constantly surrounded by the city's infamous crime has me counting the days until I can get out of here. It's not bad enough that it should deter anyone from studying here, but I certainly wouldn't want to stay after graduation. Also, you should know that traffic in Tempe, at least south of the University, is absolutely HORRIBLE. Mill avenue, Broadway, Southern, Rural...all get so congested at certain hours that a 5 minute car trip easily becomes 20 minutes of brake lights.

Buses meanwhile are pretty inconsistent and overcrowded. Some days the buses will just pass my stop without picking me up because they are so full and I end up late for class. Other days they don't show up at all and you end up waiting 2 or 3 times as long as you are supposed to. As for biking, it is terrible in Tempe. I see people driving their cars in the bike lanes all the time, and the aforementioned traffic makes it a less-than-pleasant experience anyway.
Come on really? Tempe a high crime city? Please, the police there are like Nazis. I've never seen so many people being pulled over as happens in Tempe, I've never seen a car drive in the bike lanes given that Tempe has a huge population of bicycle cops. And yes there is lots of traffic, its one of the most densely populated areas in Arizona...go figure.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:28 PM

Why would I make that up? I live on Mill Ave. and every single one of my immediate neighbors has been the victim of at least one crime. Police came by our complex not too long ago to warn us about getting the best locks possible due to the high number of break-ins in the area. Every car in my 4-unit (8 cars) lot has been stolen, vandalized, or broken into. None of that is an exaggeration or overreaction, its just reality. Stabbings and shootings are not some mystical rare occurrence in Tempe, and neither are sexual assaults. Someone tried to rob me when I was walking home from ASU last year in the middle of the DAY. Like i've said before, it's not gangland, but it's not some super safe, quiet little city either.

As for biking, anyone who has biked in Tempe knows that this is hardly a bike-friendly city. Cars rule, and bikes are seen only as being in the way. Lastly, with regards to the police, they are "nazis", as you put it, about all the wrong things. I know several people who have been pulled over for BICYCLE infractions, and yet the houses and cars in my neighborhood are broken into repeatedly without recourse.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Why would I make that up? I live on Mill Ave. and every single one of my immediate neighbors has been the victim of at least one crime. Police came by our complex not too long ago to warn us about getting the best locks possible due to the high number of break-ins in the area. Every car in my 4-unit (8 cars) lot has been stolen, vandalized, or broken into. None of that is an exaggeration or overreaction, its just reality. Stabbings and shootings are not some mystical rare occurrence in Tempe, and neither are sexual assaults. Someone tried to rob me when I was walking home from ASU last year in the middle of the DAY. Like i've said before, it's not gangland, but it's not some super safe, quiet little city either.

As for biking, anyone who has biked in Tempe knows that this is hardly a bike-friendly city. Cars rule, and bikes are seen only as being in the way. Lastly, with regards to the police, they are "nazis", as you put it, about all the wrong things. I know several people who have been pulled over for BICYCLE infractions, and yet the houses and cars in my neighborhood are broken into repeatedly without recourse.
Because I think you are exaggerating and one of those naysayers. I'm a student at ASU, have friends, family, and classmates that live in the area and they always "hear stories" and rumors or have a friend who has a friend who something happened to. Now, I'm not stupid, crap happens but you are exaggerating. And it is bike friendly, I ride my bike everywhere in Tempe and on Mill, through campus and its fine especially since cars can't really travel all that fast on roads that are 2 lanes across in each direction at their widest. Be real dude...try biking in the suburbs and then let me know if Tempe is bike friendly.

Here are the statistics:
Current Part I Crime

Tempe is a very safe city and look at the "per 100,000" stats. There were 0.06 murders per 100,000 people. Right, murder everywhere...0.38 rapes per 100,000...raping left and right! You know most rapes and murders are not random and many murders occured in Tempe and Phoenix while another crime was being committed. There are a few exceptions...a FEW, like 3, or less...I think less actually.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM

I spent my whole youth biking in the suburbs where wider streets and less traffic made biking much safer and much more enjoyable. Again, i'm not ripping Tempe, I just know it has legitimate downsides to go along with its many positive aspects. My biggest complaint about the city is how much crime we actually do see. I've heard about Phoenix metro having high crime rates my whole life, but I never paid much attention to it because I never really saw it. Tempe has been my first real exposure to the valley's crime issues, and simply put, they are a genuine pain to deal with. It doesn't mean people can't enjoy Tempe or live their lives just fine, but it pays to be aware of the issues and take the proper precautions. My stories aren't "friend of a friend", they are first hand experiences. All of that said, if I could go back in time knowing what I know now, would I still have chosen to go to ASU and live in Tempe? Absolutely. Do I want to stick around after graduation? Absolutely not.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I spent my whole youth biking in the suburbs where wider streets and less traffic made biking much safer and much more enjoyable. Again, i'm not ripping Tempe, I just know it has legitimate downsides to go along with its many positive aspects. My biggest complaint about the city is how much crime we actually do see. I've heard about Phoenix metro having high crime rates my whole life, but I never paid much attention to it because I never really saw it. Tempe has been my first real exposure to the valley's crime issues, and simply put, they are a genuine pain to deal with. It doesn't mean people can't enjoy Tempe or live their lives just fine, but it pays to be aware of the issues and take the proper precautions. My stories aren't "friend of a friend", they are first hand experiences. All of that said, if I could go back in time knowing what I know now, would I still have chosen to go to ASU and live in Tempe? Absolutely. Do I want to stick around after graduation? Absolutely not.
So you must be the one who all the crimes are happening to. LOL, I'm half way joking, honestly, having been in the military and lived in cities with real crime and horrible poverty, Phoenix is a haven. Is it crime free? H.. E to the LL no, but is it one of the worst? Not even close.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:44 PM

96 posts, read 442,363 times
Quote:
Lastly, with regards to the police, they are "nazis", as you put it, about all the wrong things. I know several people who have been pulled over for BICYCLE infractions, and yet the houses and cars in my neighborhood are broken into repeatedly without recourse.
I was "pulled over" on my bike in Tempe. Mind you, I was in the wrong, but I think a $90 ticket was a bit excessive. I was ticketed for "riding against the flow of traffic on the sidewalk". It was along Rural, and I was only traveling between Spence & Vista Del Cerro, for those that know the area. Anyway, it makes a funny story, but at the time, $90 was not funny.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,269 times
Also stay far far away from Bali Lanai - also called Campus Walk on Orange Street in Tempe. New Owners haven't improved anything. Backed up pipes, AC works SOMETIMES or leaks and stains walls, no staff on weekends for emergencies like power going out - which happens a lot, roaches and other weird weird insects, not for students since no one here speaks English, they'll rent to ANYONE, mold everywhere, apartment always feels DAMP, pool is disgusting, staff is less than adequate. Gross laundry facilities. They keep saying they're under renovation. They got a new sign and a new name - Bali Lania is now Campus Walk, but I say RUN AWAY FROM HERE. Take the Light Rail and find somewhere else to live. I lived here for the worst year of my life. No exaggeration. Owner also owns complex across the street - and they have the same horrid management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area