Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 07:13 PM

2,382 posts, read 2,714,341 times

Advertisements

I would have added this to the thread on the Women's March, but for some odd reason it's closed. As long as I was in that part of town - a poor choice, since it's totally deserted, and not a good place for a protest march - it seemed like a great opportunity to finally go for lunch to Mrs. White's Golden Rule (808 East Jefferson).

I'd first heard/read about it years ago, but I'm just not over there much. It's as scruffy and shabby a place as you could ever hope to see, but has a nice kind of happy energy, and everyone eating there is clearly happy to be there. The service was dismal, in that our waitress, after bring the food totally disappeared, but it was no big deal, because since the place is so small, someone else could have stepped in.

I'm not knowledgeable about Southern food, but I thought it really good. I had the pork chops, and they accommodatingly did one "smothered" and one not. I would have thought that they'd be dry, but no, not at all. And wildly generous portions. Sandwiches, with a side, are $7, and the entrees like mine are $13, with two large helpings of sides. Now I want to go back to try the catfish or chicken.

https://www.zagat.com/r/mrs-whites-g...e-cafe-phoenix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 07:38 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
The location is a good one to start a march that may be heading through the downtown business district and then over to the state government buildings. Sometimes, you want to assemble in a less trafficked area in order to get everyone together before heading into high visibility locations.

In any case, I really enjoy Mrs. White's. I usually order the chicken "smothered" (with gravy on top), and the catfish is excellent. I also like the vegetable plate -- just choose a bunch of sides and make them a meal.

For soul food in Phoenix, Lolo's Chicken & Waffles, run by Mrs. White's grandson Larry, is a lot better known these days. Still, Mrs. White's is where it all started.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:41 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
It's a Phoenix classic. I went there frequently years ago when I worked near there. It was a favorite of everyone in the office. The bad service is legendary and part of the experience.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The location is a good one to start a march that may be heading through the downtown business district and then over to the state government buildings. Sometimes, you want to assemble in a less trafficked area in order to get everyone together before heading into high visibility locations.

In any case, I really enjoy Mrs. White's. I usually order the chicken "smothered" (with gravy on top), and the catfish is excellent. I also like the vegetable plate -- just choose a bunch of sides and make them a meal. For soul food in Phoenix, Lolo's Chicken & Waffles, run by Mrs. White's grandson Larry, is a lot better known these days. Still, Mrs. White's is where it all started.
Absolutely, a great place to start a march. Unfortunately, the "march" was limited to walking around the block, which was totally deserted on a Saturday. I was going to suggest a different plan next time, but I don't know the area - do you have any suggestions for a path?

It would never occur to me to opt for a vegetable plate anywhere, but I'm definitely interested in the catfish. I keep trying collard greens, but just can't warm up to them.

I've been to Lolo and was hugely disappointed! The chicken was dry, the waffles were limp, and the whole vibe was tacky, like a Denny's. Didn't know they were related, though.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:33 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Absolutely, a great place to start a march. Unfortunately, the "march" was limited to walking around the block, which was totally deserted on a Saturday. I was going to suggest a different plan next time, but I don't know the area - do you have any suggestions for a path?

It would never occur to me to opt for a vegetable plate anywhere, but I'm definitely interested in the catfish. I keep trying collard greens, but just can't warm up to them.

I've been to Lolo and was hugely disappointed! The chicken was dry, the waffles were limp, and the whole vibe was tacky, like a Denny's. Didn't know they were related, though.
The official women's march went to the Capitol. Was this some other event? In any case, there are people who would know far better than me how these things are organized.

As for Lolo's, that brand has been growing quickly through franchising, and I've heard reports of bad experiences at some locations. My most recent meals (within the past year) at both the south Phoenix and Gilbert locations have been as good as ever, though.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
The official women's march went to the Capitol. Was this some other event? In any case, there are people who would know far better than me how these things are organized.

As for Lolo's, that brand has been growing quickly through franchising, and I've heard reports of bad experiences at some locations. My most recent meals (within the past year) at both the south Phoenix and Gilbert locations have been as good as ever, though.

Ate at the Scottsdale location of Lo-lo's last week for the first time since they moved up the street. Food yummy, service very attentive.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Yes, at the Capitol. Totally deserted. And the whole point of a march is to be in-your-face. But it was sorta near Mrs. White's.

The Lolo that was such a bad experience for me was in Scottsdale. Maybe I should have complained, but I figured it was par for the course for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area