Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 07:46 AM

9 posts, read 11,134 times

Advertisements

It must get old for you Phoenix area people to read the same questions over and over. But I keep readingthat posters should be more specific. So here I go...

I am a fairly active, soon to be 60 ;(, divorced man, who will be moving to the Phoenix area next year, so I am doing my homework now. I have been to the Phoenix area many times and have even looked for homes there in the past. Ahwatukee, Chandler, Queen Creek, Mesa, Goodyear and Surprise, to name a few. My budget will be between 275- 325K. I don't need a big place, but would like at least 3 bedrooms. I will work from home, so work location won't be an issue. I have a brother in Mesa, a sister in Scottsdale and a nephew in the Anthem area. I know they are spread out, but it would be kind of nice to be close to one or two of them. I have a daughter who will be on a sports scholarship at GCU next year and a son who is a JR in HS, who will be attending UA, ASU or GCU the following year. I can't imagine that either will want me to move real close, so that shouldn't be a factor. I like the idea of an age restricted development, with neighborhood facilities and activities, since I will not know a lot of people, but I think my kids will be staying with me during at least the summers in the next five to seven years. So I think that may rule out age restricted developments. My fear is, at that price point, I will end up in a neighborhood where I am surrounded by ONLY 20-30 year olds. I like good restaurants and I am always looking for something to do. I prefer something that has a little character. Proximity to mountains and or mountain views would be nice, but not a must...New or old. NO REALTORS please. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 08:11 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times
I'm a bit biased since I live here, but start looking in Ahwatukee. It's close to mountains, airport, has good schools and is safe, not as expensive as Scottsdale. The new final portion of the valley's freeway system is being built on Ahwatukee's extreme southern border, but that shouldn't deter you from this community.

BTW, don't apologize for your post. If you look in the Denver forum, same thing: lots of newcomers are asking about neighborhoods, etc.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:24 AM

Thanks for your help DougStark. Funny thing is, back in 2008, I was up for a transfer with the company I was working for at the time. We found a place in Ahwatukee. A distressed property on a golf course lot, with mountain views beyond. Our offer was accepted at $350,000, but we had to back out of the deal, because my Xwife didn't want to move to Arizona. That house sold last year for $625,000. ;( I really do like Ahwatukee and will continue to look there. Not sure it is in my price range though??

Old 02-07-2019, 12:09 PM

38 posts, read 29,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Dawg View Post
Thanks for your help DougStark. Funny thing is, back in 2008, I was up for a transfer with the company I was working for at the time. We found a place in Ahwatukee. A distressed property on a golf course lot, with mountain views beyond. Our offer was accepted at $350,000, but we had to back out of the deal, because my Xwife didn't want to move to Arizona. That house sold last year for $625,000. ;( I really do like Ahwatukee and will continue to look there. Not sure it is in my price range though??
Ahwatukee is really nice! I have friends living in Arizona.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:36 PM

421 posts, read 391,773 times
Actually age-restricted communities will normally allow residents under the age of 55 or 45 (depending on the community) if there is at least one person who meets the age criteria. Typically, I believe, most don't have any restrictions for the other people if they are above 16-18 years of age. I would, also, look into some of those active adult 55+ communities in the areas that would be near your other relatives.... since you are about to be an empty nester and concerned about being in a neighborhood of all 20 to 30 somethings that might be ideal.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:22 PM

551 posts, read 693,828 times
Quote:
It must get old for you Phoenix area people to read the same questions over and over. But I keep readingthat posters should be more specific. So here I go...

I am a fairly active, soon to be 60 ;(, divorced man, who will be moving to the Phoenix area next year, so I am doing my homework now. I have been to the Phoenix area many times and have even looked for homes there in the past. Ahwatukee, Chandler, Queen Creek, Mesa, Goodyear and Surprise, to name a few. My budget will be between 275- 325K. I don't need a big place, but would like at least 3 bedrooms. I will work from home, so work location won't be an issue. I have a brother in Mesa, a sister in Scottsdale and a nephew in the Anthem area. I know they are spread out, but it would be kind of nice to be close to one or two of them. I have a daughter who will be on a sports scholarship at GCU next year and a son who is a JR in HS, who will be attending UA, ASU or GCU the following year. I can't imagine that either will want me to move real close, so that shouldn't be a factor. I like the idea of an age restricted development, with neighborhood facilities and activities, since I will not know a lot of people, but I think my kids will be staying with me during at least the summers in the next five to seven years. So I think that may rule out age restricted developments. My fear is, at that price point, I will end up in a neighborhood where I am surrounded by ONLY 20-30 year olds. I like good restaurants and I am always looking for something to do. I prefer something that has a little character. Proximity to mountains and or mountain views would be nice, but not a must...New or old. NO REALTORS please. Thoughts?
I think east valley for sure, but maybe scottsdale. If you are okay with an older home or a bit of fixing up, south scottsdale still has some deals to get and no doubt the area will gentrify further. One bonus of city life in the valley is even if your house doesn't have mountain views, you will absolutely see them driving around. Mesa gets a bad rap (some of it justified, some of it not) but there are still amazing pockets of it that are very quiet and you could have your money go a bit further, but if you want more 'active' bar or scene lifestyle then Mesa isn't for you. If you want peace and quiet, maybe give it a serious look. I don't think Tempe will suit you, it is in general, too young. Scottsdale tends to run older, but wealthier. Scottsdale around 325-350 and I don't know what the housing market is going to do so I can't say buy now vs wait a few months. Things in general have increased in price. If you don't need a house but would like a condo or townhouse in scottsdale, your money might go further.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:36 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Have you looked at the Norterra/Riordan Ranch area? I-17 North of the 101? You are only talking about 1 more year with a kid in the house...if you don't like the school district he could finish up online. Make sure to check whichever districts' graduation requirements as well...they may differ from those in Ohio. When my parents moved us out here I had to take a couple of extra classes (AZ History and Economics) my Sr year in order to graduate.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:57 PM

Default north of 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Have you looked at the Norterra/Riordan Ranch area? I-17 North of the 101? You are only talking about 1 more year with a kid in the house...if you don't like the school district he could finish up online. Make sure to check whichever districts' graduation requirements as well...they may differ from those in Ohio. When my parents moved us out here I had to take a couple of extra classes (AZ History and Economics) my Sr year in order to graduate.
My son will not be attending HS in AZ. He will move out there after his SR year of HS. I have not checked out the area north of 101, but I will. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2019, 02:01 PM

Default S Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
I think east valley for sure, but maybe scottsdale. If you are okay with an older home or a bit of fixing up, south scottsdale still has some deals to get and no doubt the area will gentrify further. One bonus of city life in the valley is even if your house doesn't have mountain views, you will absolutely see them driving around. Mesa gets a bad rap (some of it justified, some of it not) but there are still amazing pockets of it that are very quiet and you could have your money go a bit further, but if you want more 'active' bar or scene lifestyle then Mesa isn't for you. If you want peace and quiet, maybe give it a serious look. I don't think Tempe will suit you, it is in general, too young. Scottsdale tends to run older, but wealthier. Scottsdale around 325-350 and I don't know what the housing market is going to do so I can't say buy now vs wait a few months. Things in general have increased in price. If you don't need a house but would like a condo or townhouse in scottsdale, your money might go further.
So East Valley is Mesa. Correct? I like Mesa where my brother lives, but prices in his "pocket" are more like 400- 500K. The only reservation that I have about south Scottsdale is that some of the properties look kind of shabby. But it is Scottsdale, so I am sure it would still be a great place to live. Right?

Old 02-08-2019, 01:18 PM

277 posts, read 276,641 times
Quote:

Baby boomers crack me up.

“I don’t need a big place, just three bedrooms for myself” lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area