Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:01 AM

427 posts, read 368,356 times

Advertisements

I've seen some good rated schools in the Chandler area. What are some other good areas? Prefer East Valley or maybe Glendale at the farthest. Also prefer a home built between 1960 and 1990. Mid Century Modern.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I've seen some good rated schools in the Chandler area. What are some other good areas? Prefer East Valley or maybe Glendale at the farthest. Also prefer a home built between 1960 and 1990. Mid Century Modern.

Thanks!
Mid century is of course in the 1950's, so you won't find mid century modern in a 1980's built house, etc. Check greatschools or the department of education for specific school ratings. Chandler is open enrollment so you could live anywhere, just need to provide the transportation.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:31 AM

566 posts, read 574,110 times
We live in Moon Valley. Our high school is Thunderbird HS and it's A rated. Our elementary school is highly rated and our Middle School is strong but not as highly rated as the high school and elementary. Pretty much all of the houses in our area were built between your requested dates. There are some Mid Century homes here.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:30 AM

40 posts, read 28,990 times
Cave Creek Unified. It’s a small district but rated #1 in Maricopa County. I think there’s around 5000 total enrollment in all schools K-12. Lots of unique programs like foreign language immersion and equestrian. Tons of Californians have moved to the area, so this hidden gem is growing quite fast....

Old 02-24-2019, 03:53 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,077 times
Phoenix Bioscience High School
Arizona School for the Arts
All of the Basis Schools

Old 02-24-2019, 05:01 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post

Thanks!
Madison District in North Central Phoenix.

Good schools and plenty of homes from that time period.

District website:https://madisonaz.org/

Midcentury enthusiasts site: http://modernphoenix.net/

Old 02-25-2019, 02:37 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Madison District in North Central Phoenix.

Good schools and plenty of homes from that time period.

District website:https://madisonaz.org/

Midcentury enthusiasts site: Modern Phoenix: The Neighborhood Network
Exactly, and Moon Valley was a good suggestion. I don't think the Madison kids get a good high school option, and Madison Park is horrible, but Madison Meadows is a gold mine of great midcentury homes, and if it is unaffordable, the area back towards the Madison#1 will be more modest, but just a strong in many aspect kind of neighborhood. Madison is where people forever wished they had bought, after buying a stucco monstosity in commuter Hell, and spending an extra 5-10 hours per week in the car.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:44 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I don't think the Madison kids get a good high school option...
Most of Madison falls within the Phoenix Union High School District. For students and their parents who don't want to follow that path, Sunnyslope, Arcadia, Xavier, and Brophy have long been alternatives for alumni of Madison K-8 schools. The first two are public schools, but their district boundaries lie beyond of much of Madison, so there is a lot of contention for open enrollment slots. Xavier and Brophy are of course private schools with the associated costs. Recognizing that there's a perceived gap, the Madison district set up its own charter high school:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ship/14219409/

Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 AM

566 posts, read 574,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Most of Madison falls within the Phoenix Union High School District. For students and their parents who don't want to follow that path, Sunnyslope, Arcadia, Xavier, and Brophy have long been alternatives for alumni of Madison K-8 schools. The first two are public schools, but their district boundaries lie beyond of much of Madison, so there is a lot of contention for open enrollment slots. Xavier and Brophy are of course private schools with the associated costs. Recognizing that there's a perceived gap, the Madison district set up its own charter high school:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ship/14219409/

This year people camped out overnight for open enrollment slots at Sunnyslope. That would give me an ulcer worrying one of my kids wouldn't get a spot. That's why we picked Moon Valley even though we wanted to be as close as possible to my husband's job which in the Madison district. You said perceived gap. I'm interested in you expounding on that.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:02 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,082,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Exactly, and Moon Valley was a good suggestion. I don't think the Madison kids get a good high school option, and Madison Park is horrible, but Madison Meadows is a gold mine of great midcentury homes, and if it is unaffordable, the area back towards the Madison#1 will be more modest, but just a strong in many aspect kind of neighborhood. Madison is where people forever wished they had bought, after buying a stucco monstosity in commuter Hell, and spending an extra 5-10 hours per week in the car.
Yep. I live in Madison district and moved away from Ahwatukee to get in. Daughter will be going to Madison Simis next year. Awesome school on a pretty much brand new campus. Sunnyslope is the public high school most send their kids to, but I know lots of folks who's kids either go to Brophy or Xavier.

If the OP is looking for mid-century modern, there will be by far the most in Central Phoenix with a few scattered around Scottsdale/Arcadia, as well. The latter areas will probably be more pricey (especially Arcadia since most mid-century in Scottsdale are in south Scottsdale with less desirable schools). By the way, I and most would consider "mid-century" to be 50's and maybe 60's. Definitely not 70's or 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area