Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:51 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
And that's a CHANCE you take when you live in a non-HOA community. And when one of those good responsible home owners move, there's a chance the new owner could be a slob and have junk all around his house etc. It's a chance you seem willing to take, not me.
I've been living in a non-HOA neighborhood for 21 years and we never had any problems with home owners that have junk around their houses, even with new neighbors. Will it stay like this? I don't know, but if we see an issue, we will talk to the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 12:29 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,016,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I've been living in a non-HOA neighborhood for 21 years and we never had any problems with home owners that have junk around their houses, even with new neighbors. Will it stay like this? I don't know, but if we see an issue, we will talk to the person.

And that could also go either way, either accepting or can make the situation even worse. To each their own I suppose.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:34 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,764 times
Quote:

What a novel concept. Right to their face you say? The people that live next to you? (insert mind blown emoji)

Old 06-28-2019, 12:17 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
HOAs for single family homes are the dumbest things. Imagine buying a piece of land that you “own” outright and then get ridiculous nonsense like not planting flowers blooming that season so you get a fine (my parents got this).

Old 06-28-2019, 12:39 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,638,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
HOAs for single family homes are the dumbest things. Imagine buying a piece of land that you “own” outright and then get ridiculous nonsense like not planting flowers blooming that season so you get a fine (my parents got this).
The sad part, it's difficult to find newer homes not in HOAs. If they're not in HOAs, then the step below that is city code for residential homes.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:25 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
If that is actually the case (not hearsay but actually in the bylaws), I would assume there is some rational to it. Or, it could be one of these situations https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/t...l-on-the-books that are not enforced. i.e. so stupid no one abides by it.

Someone owning their home or not, I wish our HOA was more strict and enforce the policies in place. Now, they are giving people a few years longer to paint their waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdue house. I don't care if they are broke. Paint it or get fined. But more often than not, they didn't paint (in this example) because they were lazy or a slob. So when I hear people complain about them not letting their chickens in their yard or having a big work truck outside taking up the road, I smile and thank the rules in place. I don't only care about my neighbors nearby; I also care about the entire neighborhood blocks away. Therefore in Magnum Mike's case, I bet the farm I will find some doozies examples around him. And no, he isn't going to knock on the door 4 blocks away asking them why they have 5 cars (2 of which aren't running). But if I see this in my hood 5 blocks away, I would fill out an online form and let the HOA know it is an eye sore.

So it's always about trade-offs. Give me an HOA any day or the week. Yea, it's a pain for them to control what shade of paint I chose (not to "bright") or that I cannot use a different shade of rock in my yard than they approve. But I accept the trade off with open arms! Because the net-net is that it works.

Our HOA is a little over $100 a month (I don't remember). That is CHEAP for our amenities. I hear some people b_tch because it is too expense. Again, if $100 weeds out some neighbors considering everything we get, I say see you later cheap neighbor.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 06-28-2019 at 06:34 AM..

Old 06-28-2019, 06:48 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
What a novel concept. Right to their face you say? The people that live next to you? (insert mind blown emoji)
None of my immediate neighbors had to resort to facing any other neighbors because of any issues. About the only problem that we had in the neighborhood were young tenants that rented a house on the adjacent street and were causing some problems, mainly with loud parties. Fortunately, a number of their neighbors complained to the home owner and they were evicted. Problem solved.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:20 PM

375 posts, read 609,776 times
Quote:
None of my immediate neighbors had to resort to facing any other neighbors because of any issues. About the only problem that we had in the neighborhood were young tenants that rented a house on the adjacent street and were causing some problems, mainly with loud parties. Fortunately, a number of their neighbors complained to the home owner and they were evicted. Problem solved.
If I were to buy a place in an HOA, there would be a rule that allowed no renters at all. might consider it but otherwise ---NO. If you don't own it - you have no stake in the game.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:35 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,230,714 times
If you're trying to find out if an HOA is aggressive, do this while shopping:

Look at the budget. See how much was received in fines.

Look at the balance sheet. See how much is fines payable.

More fines = more aggressive.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:39 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
HOA's are a strange animal. I am a CPA who has dealt with them (currently treasurer of one). I can only imagine every HOA is unique and each have their own nightmares to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area