U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 2,870 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've never been much of a HAM radio or police scanner type person but ever since I bought 2 second hand Uniden police scanners at a yard sale I've been bitten by the bug. Finding the police frequencies and user manuals online is easy enough but I've learned programming the frequencies into the scanners is not. Are all scanners this difficult to program or should I have studied harder in college, lol? Does anyone have programming skills they may share?

Uniden Bearcat BC796D 1000 Channel Trunk/Tracker IV

Uniden Bearcat BCT15x 9000 Chanel Trunk/Tracker III
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 PM

16 posts, read 31,956 times
Its gotta be in the manual somewhere

Old 02-26-2019, 01:01 PM

100 posts, read 47,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91broncofan View Post
Hi everyone, I've never been much of a HAM radio or police scanner type person but ever since I bought 2 second hand Uniden police scanners at a yard sale I've been bitten by the bug. Finding the police frequencies and user manuals online is easy enough but I've learned programming the frequencies into the scanners is not. Are all scanners this difficult to program or should I have studied harder in college, lol? Does anyone have programming skills they may share?

I found programming trunking scanners pretty challenging as well. Since my local PD/FD/EMS changed to EDACS, my trunking scanner became a paper weight when I'm home. I'd get into it when I'm going to visit somewhere it would work. This was infrequent enough that I'd have to re-learn how to do it all over again. I remember it's a huge help to get the right software to be able to plug the codes into a computer and then download them to the scanner. Programming manually on the scanner keypad would take forever and be prone to errors. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2019, 10:04 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,925,706 times
Here's some info for you. Took me about 5 minutes of Google search, but I'm pretty good at knowing what to look for for this type of stuff.

https://itstillworks.com/program-uni...r-7532771.html

Here's the link to the page he talks about on Uniden's website (not nearly as easy to find as he made it seem):

Uniden Support - Downloads and Manuals

Your first scanner will come up with the programming software, but it will only work up to Win XP. Your second one only comes up with the owner's manual. I'm sure if one were to search for much longer, you'll find everything else you need.

good luck

Old 02-27-2019, 08:38 PM

I appreciate everyone's reply's and thanks for the links teddyearp. I just don't have the patients to program frequencies.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:28 AM

16 posts, read 31,956 times
Talked to my five-0 buddy tonight(retired glendale officer) says the force all use some digital type 900 mhz wave and each new handheld unit is around $600. Old equip cant pick up the signal

Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 AM

1,331 posts, read 553,296 times
I would think the scanners can scan 900MHz frequency band without any trouble.

The problem is trunking and digital encryption ... Motorola and the others have made the modern digital radio system very difficult to hack into. The old days of FM modulation where you could listen into AMPS cell phone calls and police radio are long , long gone.

Smaller towns that don't have the budget to purchase and install the latest and greatest digital switching radio systems might still be listenable by the $500 level Bearcat etc.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyrokket View Post
Talked to my five-0 buddy tonight(retired glendale officer) says the force all use some digital type 900 mhz wave and each new handheld unit is around $600. Old equip cant pick up the signal
So my older scanners are basically worthless? No wonder they were in the yardsale, lol!

Old 05-20-2019, 09:51 AM

857 posts, read 1,220,763 times
The vast majority of the trunking systems are in the 800Mhz range, and much of the police communications have gone to encryption. Digital isn't the issue, the encryption is. The short, layman's version is that the encryption is like a virtual deadbolt - without the key, you don't get in. While it's technically possible to listen in on that stuff, it's WELL beyond the ability of the typical scanner enthusiast to do so. If the communications that you want to listen to are encrypted, you're basically SOL. What I've noticed in a lot of the bigger cities, the main dispatch channel is not using encryption, but any incident related communications is done on encrypted channels.

What's also happening more frequently is that the bigger organizations are installing extra capacity on their systems, and leasing that capacity to smaller organizations who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford the entire system on their own, and can now get into better coverage and features.

What it all boils down to is that worthless is dependent on what you're intending to listen to. For a lot of police related communications, yeah, you're likely SOL. Much of the rest, things like fire, ambulance, airport, railroads, business, ham, etc, are still being done without encryption. And outside of police and fire, most of it is done without trunking as well.

As for cost of those radios, 91Broncofan, your buddy is off by a couple thousand at least, especially if his department is still running Motorola branded stuff. Most of the new Motorolas we've bought in the past few years have been $6000+, each.
Some of the alternatives by companies such as Harris are cheaper, but none of the trunking radios are currently down in triple digit cost ranges yet that I'm aware of, though I suspect as we go farther with SDRs, the costs will come down. The new system that my company just installed is all IP based now..it's actually a pretty nifty set up, though MUCH more complicated than the Motorola system it's replacing.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:05 PM

705 posts, read 364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91broncofan View Post

there are Undien scanners out now you don't have to program, All you do is put in your zip code and it's all done for you. Easy as falling off a log in the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area