Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:12 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Generally 10 - you won't get a ticket even from a speed cam unless you are 11 over. But they don't have to. Exceptions are school zones where there is zero tolerance.
I thought the speed cameras were removed?

Old 03-21-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yeah, we move. Most people are from somewhere else though, so you know they desire to go faster after years of being held back in their home states. It is frustrating driving in the upper midwest where they rarely go five over outside of cities and there are cops hiding behind trees.
???

In Michigan, freeway traffic is moving at 80+. Florida is the state where the troopers hide behind trees.

Last edited by ram2; 03-21-2019 at 06:24 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Radar detector is an instant ticket..
How so? My radar detector has saved me from dozens of tickets.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:57 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I thought the speed cameras were removed?
They're still at some stop lights and they do get you for speeding through intersections. They also have portable ones on occasion, but I rarely see them anymore.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:12 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
How so? My radar detector has saved me from dozens of tickets.
Well...if you get pulled over and the Officer sees a radar detector, the possibility of getting a warning just went right out the window. He/She will probably write you up for absolutely everything they can. A Radar Detector just tells an officer that you regularly speed and are trying to play games with them.

Besides, they don't use radar much in-town. You want to run around with one...to each their own.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
They're still at some stop lights and they do get you for speeding through intersections. They also have portable ones on occasion, but I rarely see them anymore.
I saw a speed cam car parked on Cactus the other day, near FLW.

Didn't know there were such things.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...if you get pulled over and the Officer sees a radar detector, the possibility of getting a warning just went right out the window. He/She will probably write you up for absolutely everything they can. A Radar Detector just tells an officer that you regularly speed and are trying to play games with them.

Besides, they don't use radar much in-town. You want to run around with one...to each their own.
You realize using a radar detector greatly reduces your roadside meetings with Mr. Officer?

Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Actually...not driving like a jackhole reduces the chance of a roadside meeting. Well...that, our Families of Fallen Officer plates and the Blue and Red line stickers probably help as well. I have rarely seen any State Troopers out there with speed guns and only a couple of times in town (30+ years in the Valley).Not to say they aren't there, just seems to have dropped off in recent years. For the most part they aren't worried about your speed so much as excessive speed and weaving around in traffic. They USED to be...a few years ago...and if you are doing 110 on I-10, I-8, I-17 or I-40 they will clock you rather than using a radar. Sitting in one spot with a radar gun is pretty ineffective, they switched tactics to undercover vehicles. The cruiser on the side of the road is a deterrent to get you to check your speed, the black Tahoe, grey Silverado, etc. is used for enforcement.

There used to be a cruiser regularly parked at the I-10/SR85 intersection in Buckeye, mainly because people were coming in on that long drive over the desert from CA doing anywhere from 75-90MPH (normal cruising speeds) but that is where the congestion starts. Every time we have gone by...there was no officer in the car...just the cruiser...reminding people to slow down.

Again...you want to drop $100+ on a radar detector, knock yourself out. Just realize that if you DO get pulled over you are more likely to receive a ticket than a warning.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:15 AM

848 posts, read 967,245 times
Those undercover vehicles are indeed very sneaky in AZ. There's very little to distinguish them like the obvious crown victorias with red and blue lights in the rear window, or a giant antenna, back in the day. Trying to find an easy way to tell them apart, but so far all I've come up with is that the ones I've personally seen have all been domestics, and have been completely undecorated - as in, no stickers, no crap on the dash or hanging from the rear view mirror, no decorations, knick knacks, etc. The flashing lights are also very cleanly integrated unless you have a chance to look close enough, which is not easy at road / highway speed.

Beyond that,

Old 03-22-2019, 01:39 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
Quote:
You realize using a radar detector greatly reduces your roadside meetings with Mr. Officer?

I had one in California because it was a must. But mine also defected laser. Since last year, I haven't had to use my detector in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area