Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 04:09 PM

14 posts, read 10,125 times

Advertisements

My retirement decision: Choosing a Scottsdale all-ages condo versus a small house in one of the Sun Cities near Phoenix.

I’m an introvert and don’t require a ton of clubs or activities, but wish to make new friends, develop group social connections and be physically active in my golden years.

Which living situation might bring more social opportunities in my golden years?

I’ve looked into the Scottsdale Newcomers Club and the attractive Scottsdale Senior Centers, which might be wonderful alternatives to the social opportunities of a 55+ community, but with age, might I regret not living in a large retirement community with the many ongoing social opportunities, activities and trips easily at hand?

For comparison here, please assume we’re comparing an all-ages Scottsdale condo community, (not necessarily McCormick Ranch or Scottsdale Ranch, which appear to have a number of clubs and activities for their residents).

I like many of the older small houses and condos in Scottsdale and need to access Mayo healthcare, and well, just like the beauty of many areas in Scottsdale. But, there is
attractive housing in SCW, SC, too.

I know I could move, rent and then decide, but am juggling several areas of my life with this relocation, and attempt to see if I can focus in one direction or the other beforehand.

I’m stuck, and welcome your opinions and wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 08:31 AM

51 posts, read 29,397 times
Look at Trilogy at Vistancia in Peoria. there's good health care in this area if you don't want to drive over to Mayo. I've heard that Mayo does not accept all new Medicare patients.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:19 AM

Thank you Loriwass. Yes, I'm researching the availability of care at Mayo. Appreciate your response.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:57 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed gardener View Post
My retirement decision: Choosing a Scottsdale all-ages condo versus a small house in one of the Sun Cities near Phoenix.

I’m an introvert and don’t require a ton of clubs or activities, but wish to make new friends, develop group social connections and be physically active in my golden years.

Which living situation might bring more social opportunities in my golden years?

I’ve looked into the Scottsdale Newcomers Club and the attractive Scottsdale Senior Centers, which might be wonderful alternatives to the social opportunities of a 55+ community, but with age, might I regret not living in a large retirement community with the many ongoing social opportunities, activities and trips easily at hand?

For comparison here, please assume we’re comparing an all-ages Scottsdale condo community, (not necessarily McCormick Ranch or Scottsdale Ranch, which appear to have a number of clubs and activities for their residents).

I like many of the older small houses and condos in Scottsdale and need to access Mayo healthcare, and well, just like the beauty of many areas in Scottsdale. But, there is
attractive housing in SCW, SC, too.

I know I could move, rent and then decide, but am juggling several areas of my life with this relocation, and attempt to see if I can focus in one direction or the other beforehand.

I’m stuck, and welcome your opinions and wisdom.
I shared your exact concern. For me, it came down to being close to meetup events, restaurants, and feeling comfortable. I've visited both and come to the conclusion that the Sun Cities are just toooo far out there for me. I'm 64 and everyone says this, but I "am" young 64 so far. Although there are many social activities in the Sun Cities, during the day and at night I wanted to be closer to more amenities, social activities, restaurants, etc...thus chose to buy a condo in Central Scottsdale. There's literally hundreds of restaurants within a few miles of me and a LOT to do.. Maybe in 5-10 years Sun City area will be more for me or maybe I'll regret my decison to buy here in Scottsdale, but I don't feel my decision is irreversible.

I came down to visit friends in Sun City Grand in April of 2017 for a week and explored that area pretty thoroughly. I came down again for a week in August and did the same and decided to rent Jan through April of 2018 where I am now....in Central Scottsdale...liked it a lot and rented again Oct. through May of this year with my permanent move and the thought of buying a condo in this area. I did that a few weeks ago. We shall see. Just wanted to let you know my thought processs, OH, and I'm single. I think that perhaps if I was married, I might prefer the Sun Cities...not sure. Just doesn't seems like a great place for me now as a very active single guy....

Last edited by Burkmere; 02-26-2019 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 04:27 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,746,654 times
We retired in the middle of the city, adjacent to people of all ages, good health care, restaurants, entertainment, everything we wanted. Never considered for a minute an age restricted community and have no regrets.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:53 AM

720 posts, read 734,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I shared your exact concern. For me, it came down to being close to meetup events, restaurants, and feeling comfortable. I've visited both and come to the conclusion that the Sun Cities are just toooo far out there for me. I'm 64 and everyone says this, but I "am" young 64 so far. Although there are many social activities in the Sun Cities, during the day and at night I wanted to be closer to more amenities, social activities, restaurants, etc...thus chose to buy a condo in Central Scottsdale. There's literally hundreds of restaurants within a few miles of me and a LOT to do.. Maybe in 5-10 years Sun City area will be more for me or maybe I'll regret my decison to buy here in Scottsdale, but I don't feel my decision is irreversible.

I came down to visit friends in Sun City Grand in April of 2017 for a week and explored that area pretty thoroughly. I came down again for a week in August and did the same and decided to rent Jan through April of 2018 where I am now....in Central Scottsdale...liked it a lot and rented again Oct. through May of this year with my permanent move and the thought of buying a condo in this area. I did that a few weeks ago. We shall see. Just wanted to let you know my thought processs, OH, and I'm single. I think that perhaps if I was married, I might prefer the Sun Cities...not sure. Just doesn't seems like a great place for me now as a very active single guy....
^^ Perfectly said ^^

Old 03-01-2019, 10:31 AM

Oh thank you, Burkmere. I'm youngish also. And what you said resinates very well. Your comment may have saved us a lot of effort during our exploratory visit to Scottsdale, and I'm appreciative.

I see there are a few 55+ communities in Scottsdale, the nicest being Heritage Village IV in Scottsdale Ranch, and understand many units might need updating, which might be more effort and cost than we want to invest.

How was the heat of summer been for you?

Have you looked into the Scottsdale Newcomer's Club? Good website and photos of activities.

Thank you again for your time to post!

Old 03-01-2019, 10:33 AM

Many thanks, pbenjamin and smoochaz. Confirmations are very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area