Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
And you aren't getting the point that being pretentious doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what city you live in. But never mind, let's let the thread go back to topic.
I agree. Of course it doesn't. It just adds to the absurdity when the person in question lives in a such an unremarkable one. I've said that multiple times now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
$30k Millionaires...Scottsdale is full of them.
That's such a tired, foolish suggestion. If you can figure out how to live like a millionaire with a poverty-level salary, please clue me in and maybe I can live like a billionaire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:15 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
That's such a tired, foolish suggestion. If you can figure out how to live like a millionaire with a poverty-level salary, please clue me in and maybe I can live like a billionaire!
Because of inflation and in 2019, the phrase needs to called the "$60K millionaire". You are right, it's a tiring statement. Don't take the description literal. Basically, some people live off of debt. All they care about is their perception. So they lease a nice car, buy nice clothes, and blow money like they they make a lot. It works in the short run. This isn't exclusive to Scottsdale. In fact, it is discussed all over the country. Like Dallas https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...e-mist-6421843

Old 03-19-2019, 11:18 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
I agree. Of course it doesn't. It just adds to the absurdity when the person in question lives in a such an unremarkable one. I've said that multiple times now.

Again, this goes back to your familial situation. If you had children, the list of requirements would change. Gilbert was ranked this year as the best suburb to raise a family, safest suburb in AZ and in the top 20 of best cities to live in in the US. That's pretty remarkable, I would say. If you had a wife that liked going on walks or jogs at night, safety would be pretty important. If you had kids, schools, safety and activities would be at the top of the list. You can't speak to what you would or would not do because you don't have kids, it's impossible to understand without them. I wouldn't consider Gilbert my TOP destination either, but it's silly to call it unremarkable because those people don't care how far their house is to your favorite place to get a latte.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Again, this goes back to your familial situation. If you had children, the list of requirements would change. Gilbert was ranked this year as the best suburb to raise a family, safest suburb in AZ and in the top 20 of best cities to live in in the US. That's pretty remarkable, I would say. If you had a wife that liked going on walks or jogs at night, safety would be pretty important. If you had kids, schools, safety and activities would be at the top of the list. You can't speak to what you would or would not do because you don't have kids, it's impossible to understand without them. I wouldn't consider Gilbert my TOP destination either, but it's silly to call it unremarkable because those people don't care how far their house is to your favorite place to get a latte.
I was looking at homes and studying your neck of the woods yesterday. Specifically places on water. Last night, we hung out around DT Gilbert. That place has really come alive! It was hopping on a Monday night. It would be a great place to raise a family. I get it.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:26 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I was looking at homes and studying your neck of the woods yesterday. Specifically places on water. Last night, we hung out around DT Gilbert. That place has really come alive! It was hopping on a Monday night. It's a down-to-earth burb. It would be a great place to raise a family. I get it.
It's nice, I actually live in Chandler (Ocotillo/Fulton Ranch area generally) but I do go to Gilbert on occasion. It's a nice valley suburb with no poverty, educated residents and low crime.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:59 AM

202 posts, read 220,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmama3 View Post
we are planning a trip in april to check out Queen Creek. I have been researching housing, school, misc things in QC. I came across an area with one acre lots, new homes, good pricing....then I realized why. Their schools are very low/poorly rated....

Anyone know why??? Or any suggestions in QC, that aren't outrageously priced, going to Higley or QC High school
I'm confused. San Tan Valley and QC are different cities. Are you referring to the region as a whole or QC? San Tan Valley is a boring suburb that was hit hard by the recession. It's more lower income and honestly I would not live there unless you're retired or you don't have kids. I would rather live in the older neighborhoods of the established suburbs if money is tight over living in STV. QC has lower ratings for school because it doesn't have a lot of people there in my opinion. Chandler and Gilbert have nicer neighborhoods overall and there are better schools in those districts. If you're this worried about school rankings, then find a place in Gilbert.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM

21 posts, read 24,545 times
well.....I got more than I was wondering..lol

pretentious people are everywhere, I am well aware of that. We are California natives, that left 9 years ago, to the north dallas area. there are a lot $50k millionaires here too..haha

we live in a very small town (under 2k) people, and its the haves and have nots- no inbetween

QC is where I am looking, I saw some appealing houses in STV that sparked my wonder about their low ranked schools, so thank you for the clarification on that.

some of the other areas mentioned are too "peopley" for me...I saw QC population around 40k with good shopping/eating near by. We are 40 mins from any major shopping where we are now, no grocery store local either, 20 mins away for that.

we haven't lived in a neighborhood (houses close) in 10 years, so id like something a little farther apart, an acre would be awesome, but don't want to spend a fortune. we are on the 5-6 year plan, that's when our youngest is done with high school, then we will go between havasu and mexico….

Old 03-19-2019, 05:14 PM

566 posts, read 574,110 times
Quote:
The point is, someone living in Gilbert, AZ, the most generic suburb in America™, has no reason to have a chip on their shoulder, for any reason. It's laughable to think that one would.

Okay well laugh all you want I guess. That is her experience teaching there. We went down there this past weekend to watch a soccer game and the Gilbert team (teenagers) was so self righteous, foul mouthed, and obnoxious. I was embarrassed for their parents.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:28 PM

566 posts, read 574,110 times
Quote:
Yes, of course but you’re missing the point too. They may not be pretentious because they live in Gilbert, but it’s funny because they do.

You're getting fanatical over my word choice. The point is the OP mentioned Higley HS and my friend teaches there and talks about how miserable the teachers are there, how huge the class sizes are, and how obnoxious the parents are. Fixate on the word obnoxious I guess. To me when your kid makes zero effort, is failing a class, and you have a conniption fit because you feel like they should still be able to go on the school trip to Disney Land, that is a pretentious entitled attitude.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:59 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Wasn't referring to you there thin-skin. You do know where that classification comes from, yes? 20-somethings, driving either the BMW Mom and Dad bought them from high school or a 10 year old luxury car...knock-off designer clothes...living paycheck to paycheck with 2 other guys in an apartment to maintain a Scottsdale mailing address...partying it up in DT Scottsdale like money runs like water because they know the bartenders who are giving them free drinks in exchange for a large tip? Same with certain restaurants cause their buddy from High School graduated from Scottsdale Culinary and is now the head chef? Yes, I know the lifestyle, I lived it for a few years loooong ago and know quite a few 30 and 40 somethings still doing it...albeit with larger paychecks now so...no roomates and nicer clothes/cars.

Some people just never grow up.

As to the OP's question...if you are looking at San Tan Valley I would really make sure your home inspector is good. Many of those homes went up very quickly in the "Boom" and things were missed on the inspections. We had a house out there when we were first married, it jumped almost $100k overnight, we sold it to an investor. Fast forward about 8 years and it became a HUD home with mold issues, worth half what we paid for it. Someone cleaned it up and it is now worth a little over what we paid for it new 15 years ago. if you are looking at acreage though, a lot of those were custom homes so it may be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area