Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:27 PM

21 posts, read 24,545 times

Advertisements

we are planning a trip in april to check out Queen Creek. I have been researching housing, school, misc things in QC. I came across an area with one acre lots, new homes, good pricing....then I realized why. Their schools are very low/poorly rated....

Anyone know why??? Or any suggestions in QC, that aren't outrageously priced, going to Higley or QC High school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 09:34 PM

566 posts, read 574,110 times
Ratings aren't everything. You need to physically be in a school to know if it's truly any good. My good friend teaches in highly rate Higley HS. Class sizes of 40+ kids, with pretentious parents and entitled kids. She hasn't been too inspired or happy.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Ratings aren't everything. You need to physically be in a school to know if it's truly any good. My good friend teaches in highly rate Higley HS. Class sizes of 40+ kids, with pretentious parents and entitled kids. She hasn't been too inspired or happy.
Pretentious living in Gilbert? That’s hilarious. They don’t exactly live in Beverly Hills!

Old 03-19-2019, 04:49 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Pretentious living in Gilbert? That’s hilarious. They don’t exactly live in Beverly Hills!
Pretentious simply means people are pretending to be more important than they are. Example: a parent might think and act like they are smarter than the teacher.

You went down the $$ path so lets go there. There are pockets of $$'s in Gilbert. Here are some nice homes that are currently on the market https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...73_rect/11_zm/

Here is another nice shack that sold for $5M. I was in their home and I know their amazing family https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...9-m/529537001/ ) To make sure I'm clear, they are not pretentious.

The point being is that kids and parents sometimes get an attitude simply by assuming they are richer or smarter or more talented than they are. It's often because they have self esteem problems. I've observed some pretentious parents and kids where we raised our kids. Pretentious could mean something as simple as a good middle school athlete who thinks he is "all that" which often stems from their parents. Some people think they are more important than they are because they drive a certain kind of car or make what they think is a lot of money. There are shallow and pretentious people in nearly community. Some towns more than others.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-19-2019 at 06:18 AM..

Old 03-19-2019, 08:39 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Pretentious simply means people are pretending to be more important than they are. Example: a parent might think and act like they are smarter than the teacher.

You went down the $$ path so lets go there. There are pockets of $$'s in Gilbert. Here are some nice homes that are currently on the market https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...73_rect/11_zm/

Here is another nice shack that sold for $5M. I was in their home and I know their amazing family https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...9-m/529537001/ ) To make sure I'm clear, they are not pretentious.

The point being is that kids and parents sometimes get an attitude simply by assuming they are richer or smarter or more talented than they are. It's often because they have self esteem problems. I've observed some pretentious parents and kids where we raised our kids. Pretentious could mean something as simple as a good middle school athlete who thinks he is "all that" which often stems from their parents. Some people think they are more important than they are because they drive a certain kind of car or make what they think is a lot of money. There are shallow and pretentious people in nearly community. Some towns more than others.
Yep the Ethier residence (acquaintances through our sons), that house is crazy and there are many more just like it. There's definitely a lot of pretentious people in Gilbert too, they just are younger pretentious with kids as compared to the old pretentious in other parts of the valley. Not much here will compare to Beverly Hills or some parts of OC near where I'm from, other than maybe a few blocks of PV.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:40 AM

To answer the question, San Tan is a lower income area. In the valley you really need to go where the money is for good schools, if you are going to go to your designated school. Another option is to live in STV and commute to Queen Creek or Higley district schools, but you will need to provide your own transportation.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised;54716873[B
]Pretentious simply means people are pretending to be more important than they are. [/b] Example: a parent might think and act like they are smarter than the teacher.

The point is, someone living in Gilbert, AZ, the most generic suburb in Americaâ„¢, has no reason to have a chip on their shoulder, for any reason. It's laughable to think that one would.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
The point is, someone living in Gilbert, AZ, the most generic suburb in America™, has no reason to have a chip on their shoulder, for any reason. It's laughable to think that one would.
Pretentiousness has zero to do with physical location and more to do with the attitude one has. They are not necessarily pretentious about WHERE they live, like you apparently think. They are pretentious about who they are or who they perceive themselves to be. And it doesn't even take extreme wealth. Someone living in an $800,000 tract home in Gilbert with an Infiniti QX80 in the garage may look down on someone from a $200,000 house in STV that drives a Honda. Having said that, Gilbert is still one of the wealthiest parts of the valley and not so generic. They have lots of shopping and dining, breweries, vibrant downtown area, Top Golf and the best youth sports ballpark in the valley in Cactus Yards (you can watch youth baseball while sipping a beer in the bar, nothing generic about that ) It's definitely not somewhere to be embarrassed to live if you have money, the fact that it is safe and has a ***** ton for kids to do is exactly what attracts families with money to the area.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Pretentiousness has zero to do with physical location and more to do with the attitude one has. They are not necessarily pretentious about WHERE they live, like you apparently think. They are pretentious about who they are or who they perceive themselves to be. And it doesn't even take extreme wealth. Someone living in an $800,000 tract home in Gilbert with an Infiniti QX80 in the garage may look down on someone from a $200,000 house in STV that drives a Honda. Having said that, Gilbert is still one of the wealthiest parts of the valley and not so generic. They have lots of shopping and dining, breweries, Top Golf and the best youth sports ballpark in the valley in Cactus Yards (you can watch youth baseball while sipping a beer in the bar, nothing generic about that ) It's definitely not somewhere to be embarrassed to live if you have money, the fact that it is safe and has a ***** ton for kids to do is exactly what attracts families with money to the area.
Someone that lives in Gilbert, running around with their nose in the air, is hilarious. I don't know how much more clear I can make that.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Someone that lives in Gilbert, running around with their nose in the air, is hilarious. I don't know how much more clear I can make that.
Like I said, it's more about attitude than about where one lives. The same attitude you seem to be displaying right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area