Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 03:01 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times

Advertisements

Anyone who thinks it's all about jaywalking and dark clothing should consider cases like the following, all of which involved the needless deaths of pedestrians who were walking in daylight and complying with all laws:

https://www.azfamily.com/news/pd--ye...c2b8d860d.html

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...stop/27351265/

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...lls/420875002/

This isn't just about pedestrian behavior. It's just as much, if not more so, about street design and driver behavior. Phoenix and its suburbs needs to consider some of the following best practices:

-- Designing streets for the speed limit and not 10 miles or more over the limit. Current street design practices forgive driver error but give the more vulnerable pedestrian no room for error.
-- More detached sidewalks, separated from the street by landscaped strips, preferably with trees that not only provide shade, but also create a barrier. Parallel parking also creates a barrier and has the added benefit of slowing traffic.
-- Strict enforcement of speed limits on city streets. Speed is exponentially related to the chance of pedestrian death in a car vs. pedestrian collision.
-- Adoption and enforcement of "don't block the box" laws, meaning any driver stopping in the crosswalk, instead of behind it, gets a hefty fine.
-- A strong, statewide law against texting and driving, defining the practice as a primary offense, one that a police officer can cite a driver for without having to first pull over the driver for another offense.
-- Fewer dedicated right turn lanes and restrictions on right-on-red in areas of heavy pedestrian traffic. Drivers turning right on red are so preoccupied with looking left that they sometimes miss pedestrians approaching from the right.

Last edited by exit2lef; 03-23-2019 at 03:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 06:39 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,482,791 times
I'm generally not one for new laws but a statewide law against texting or using a phone would be great. If I see a car weaving in front of me, 9 times out of 10 it's someone on their phone. At one point in my life I was a fairly accomplished cyclist and would often put in 200-300 miles a week while training. Cut back on the volume once I got older, but after the advent of cell phones I dropped my sport completely. Just in my small circle of training partners or ex-teammates in Arizona I've lost 4-5 to car collisions. One of my old teammates was plowed into by a mom driving a minivan while she was texting, literally almost ripped the head off of his body.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:59 AM

3,697 posts, read 2,416,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Why can't we be #1 for something good for a change? Like the best SAT scores, or the most Pulitzers, or the best orchestra, or the most honest politicians?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ays/383640002/

https://www.abc15.com/news/state/rep...or-pedestrians

This is so infuriating, because I'll bet I could cut the number in half fairly quickly:

-Stop setting up traffic signals to allow cars to reach such high speeds
-Stop tinting car windows so darkly
-Have more traffic signals to allow people to cross
-Install better lighting
Phoenix is a (West Coast) car dependent car town.

My only complaint.

Most don't think of walking, pedestrians.

I don't like car dependent cities, but I'm in the minority and Americans do not understand any different.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:00 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint8ball View Post
I know I sound like a jerk, but this is of course what a California city would do. Cater to the lowest common denominator, bleed one's heart all over the issue and spend money on party favors. I picture the next step as being placing a kindergarten teacher at the intersection and everyone hold hands while crossing.
If you like that, you're not going to believe the "solution" they implemented at train crossings to prevent high school kids from committing suicide by train.

Yeah, that's a common thing here. Suicides are awful, heartbreaking and often horrific but the so-called remedy -- stationing people in certain places 24/7 -- had no effect at all, as just about anyone with a brain could have predicted. Move down the track 200 yards from the track monitor, who was usually either playing with his phone or completely absent, and he'd never get to you in time anyway.

A number of track monitors were arrested for breaking into nearby houses. Ah, California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area