Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 10:03 PM

640 posts, read 958,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacksilverson View Post
I got back to Florida a few days ago and when the wave of humidity hit me I almost teared up it felt so good. It was pouring rain when I got back and I rode with the windows down all the way home. The relief was amazing and everything has almost healed up now.
I travel quite a bit, and this is exactly how I feel when I step off the plane in Phoenix; especially Summer evenings. I get a nice whiff of the warm dry air, and I immediate feel at ease because I know I’m home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 05:04 AM

30,387 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacksilverson View Post
Hey everybody,

I'm considering moving from North Florida to Phoenix for work and I have some questions and concerns.

So I've visited Phoenix multiple times in the spring and really loved the city. The culture, things to do/see, and the desert landscape are pretty cool compared to where I'm from and looks like it would be fun to try out. I already have a better job lined up at my company there too so it works career wise too. Overall it makes sense on paper.

My only concern is the climate/weather. I've been out there to visit before but only for maybe 2 or 3 days before returning home. I was out there looking at places for 8 days last week and had some real trouble. The first couple of days I didnt notice anything other than my lips and mouth being a little dry with some skin dryness as well. By day 5 or 6 the tops of my hands were essentially peeling off and extremely dry. My nose was full of blood and I was bathing my hands and head in lotion constantly with no relief. I was also drinking an exorbitant amount of water (3 liters plus daily) with no avail. The worst thing that happened to me was that I was having a real hard time regulating my body temperature. Even though it was a very pleasant March day weather wise, I was freezing cold at all times. My body could just not get warm no matter what I did. I was wearing 3 or 4 layers of shirts with 3 layers of socks and still not warm. Needless to say, people were looking at me like I was crazy. This was the most troubling thing I experienced that made me doubt if I could make it in the desert climate. I got back to Florida a few days ago and when the wave of humidity hit me I almost teared up it felt so good. It was pouring rain when I got back and I rode with the windows down all the way home. The relief was amazing and everything has almost healed up now.

So has anyone else experienced this? How long did this last for you? Any remedies? Humidifier? I've done research online and I know people go through transition periods before getting acclimated to the weather but mine seemed rather harsh with the body temperature thing really messing me up. The city looks great, but going from the wettest place in the nation (90% humidify almost daily) to the dryest (I saw 8% when I was there) might be too much for this swamp guy.

Thanks again.

I grew up in New Orleans and hate the humidity and do much better in the dry heat of Arizona, you sound the opposite....if you like and do well in humidity, why leave?

My brother from Louisiana met us for a week in Arizona in March and noted how the lack of humidity made it feel cooler as well for him...but he liked that feeling.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:11 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
I travel quite a bit, and this is exactly how I feel when I step off the plane in Phoenix; especially Summer evenings. I get a nice whiff of the warm dry air, and I immediate feel at ease because I know I’m home.
That is so nice isn't it? As much as Phoenix growth and decay irritates me these days, it is always wonderful to feel the dry air again after being in a humid area. I feel the same when the monsoon gives it up in September too. Ahhhh.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:06 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is so nice isn't it? As much as Phoenix growth and decay irritates me these days, it is always wonderful to feel the dry air again after being in a humid area. I feel the same when the monsoon gives it up in September too. Ahhhh.
I'm the exact opposite. The dry air much of the year gets to be very monotonous, and it's always refreshing when we get Pacific storm systems to moisten the air and wash out all the pollution. The summer monsoon is hot & miserable with the increased humidity, but the rare occasion when a heavy thunderstorm moves in and brings rain to the entire metro area makes it much more pleasant to be outside. Consistent dryness has no long term positive effects. All it does is make the drought conditions and air quality worse. At the same time, I do agree that being in a region with oppressive humidity (Florida) can get tiresome as well.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:51 AM

872 posts, read 1,000,222 times
I was just in Tampa area the past week and it was a very dry time for them. Temps mostly upper 70s/low 80s with DP sometimes as low as 40s. So the RH was about 35-50%. The first day there was quite humid but it was not bad at all. I know FL has a "dry" season. Coming back here to the teen and single digit RH is nice. The sun, I feel, is more intense here in AZ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: