Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 4,855 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

I'm considering moving from North Florida to Phoenix for work and I have some questions and concerns.

So I've visited Phoenix multiple times in the spring and really loved the city. The culture, things to do/see, and the desert landscape are pretty cool compared to where I'm from and looks like it would be fun to try out. I already have a better job lined up at my company there too so it works career wise too. Overall it makes sense on paper.

My only concern is the climate/weather. I've been out there to visit before but only for maybe 2 or 3 days before returning home. I was out there looking at places for 8 days last week and had some real trouble. The first couple of days I didnt notice anything other than my lips and mouth being a little dry with some skin dryness as well. By day 5 or 6 the tops of my hands were essentially peeling off and extremely dry. My nose was full of blood and I was bathing my hands and head in lotion constantly with no relief. I was also drinking an exorbitant amount of water (3 liters plus daily) with no avail. The worst thing that happened to me was that I was having a real hard time regulating my body temperature. Even though it was a very pleasant March day weather wise, I was freezing cold at all times. My body could just not get warm no matter what I did. I was wearing 3 or 4 layers of shirts with 3 layers of socks and still not warm. Needless to say, people were looking at me like I was crazy. This was the most troubling thing I experienced that made me doubt if I could make it in the desert climate. I got back to Florida a few days ago and when the wave of humidity hit me I almost teared up it felt so good. It was pouring rain when I got back and I rode with the windows down all the way home. The relief was amazing and everything has almost healed up now.

So has anyone else experienced this? How long did this last for you? Any remedies? Humidifier? I've done research online and I know people go through transition periods before getting acclimated to the weather but mine seemed rather harsh with the body temperature thing really messing me up. The city looks great, but going from the wettest place in the nation (90% humidify almost daily) to the dryest (I saw 8% when I was there) might be too much for this swamp guy.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 02:41 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
You sound like a tropical plant.
What kind of shape are you in generally speaking?

Old 03-31-2019, 02:51 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Your body adapts. When I go back east for work or whatever for more than a week, I come back to Phoenix dried out and with allergy problems for about a day or two then I’m back to normal.

Some things you just get used to (ashy skin and chapped lips and can remedy quite easily)

Old 03-31-2019, 03:02 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,459 times
Hi Stacksilverson --

First, welcome to City-Data!

Yes, Florida to Arizona is a big change. Spring is usually a very dry time period in the Phoenix area, with not much rain at all. In the summer, we get "Monsoon" storms which bring thunderstorms. The humidity is typically higher in summer and the thunderstorms often occur in late afternoon/early evening, cooling the air. But it is still hot, I'm not going to lie.

I did not experience any body changes when I moved here, so I do not know what to tell you. I do know that some people who move here cannot stand the climate and move back. I think the ration is about 1:3, but it may have changed. This is going to have to be a judgement call on your part -- only you will know whether you want to take the risk.

Another aspect to consider is how your company feels about relocation costs. Will you have to pay back the relocation costs if you do not stay a certain amount of time? Will you be able to apply and get another job with your company if you chose to move back? Will the company be willing to pay relocation costs from Phoenix back to Florida [or to another spot]. Also, if you are part of a couple, what happens with your spouse's employment? Moves get complicated pretty fast.

Good luck with your decision. It may be that the opportunity for a job promotion at this stage in your career is at the perfect time, and you may get used to the heat and enjoy your stay. Maybe you can stay for several years and then move somewhere else. Think about it carefully and make you decision. Things will work out!!!

Old 03-31-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
You sound like a tropical plant.
What kind of shape are you in generally speaking?
You are quite right about that. I've lived in multiple FL cities but always in FL. It can be 90 degrees with 95% humidity and I feel fine. Don't even break a sweat

I'm 31, thin but fit. Well hydrated. I am sober and don't drink caffeine/coffee or anything else that would dehydrate me. I figured I could handle the heat and make up the difference in humidity with water intake. My body really did not like the lack of humidity. The body temp regulation issue gives me pause.

AZ would be a fun change for me and a great opportunity for my career, but I'm not looking to go out there and suffer for a year either...

Old 03-31-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Your body adapts. When I go back east for work or whatever for more than a week, I come back to Phoenix dried out and with allergy problems for about a day or two then I’m back to normal.

Some things you just get used to (ashy skin and chapped lips and can remedy quite easily)
That's reassuring. The chapped lips and dry skin was no big deal really and I'm sure would get better over time. But I cant deal with the body temp issue if it's long term. Gotta get that figured out before committing.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Hi Stacksilverson --

First, welcome to City-Data!

Yes, Florida to Arizona is a big change. Spring is usually a very dry time period in the Phoenix area, with not much rain at all. In the summer, we get "Monsoon" storms which bring thunderstorms. The humidity is typically higher in summer and the thunderstorms often occur in late afternoon/early evening, cooling the air. But it is still hot, I'm not going to lie.

I did not experience any body changes when I moved here, so I do not know what to tell you. I do know that some people who move here cannot stand the climate and move back. I think the ration is about 1:3, but it may have changed. This is going to have to be a judgement call on your part -- only you will know whether you want to take the risk.

Another aspect to consider is how your company feels about relocation costs. Will you have to pay back the relocation costs if you do not stay a certain amount of time? Will you be able to apply and get another job with your company if you chose to move back? Will the company be willing to pay relocation costs from Phoenix back to Florida [or to another spot]. Also, if you are part of a couple, what happens with your spouse's employment? Moves get complicated pretty fast.

Good luck with your decision. It may be that the opportunity for a job promotion at this stage in your career is at the perfect time, and you may get used to the heat and enjoy your stay. Maybe you can stay for several years and then move somewhere else. Think about it carefully and make you decision. Things will work out!!!
This is great info thank you. Just what I was looking for. It's looking like I might be that one out of three you were talking about. My company wouldn't pay for relocation costs either way so it's all on me. No spouse to worry about. I'm thinking I come back out in May for a couple weeks to see if I can hack it.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:03 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacksilverson View Post
You are quite right about that. I've lived in multiple FL cities but always in FL. It can be 90 degrees with 95% humidity and I feel fine. Don't even break a sweat

I'm 31, thin but fit. Well hydrated. I am sober and don't drink caffeine/coffee or anything else that would dehydrate me. I figured I could handle the heat and make up the difference in humidity with water intake. My body really did not like the lack of humidity. The body temp regulation issue gives me pause.

AZ would be a fun change for me and a great opportunity for my career, but I'm not looking to go out there and suffer for a year either...

It's good that you are fit and not/weren't doing things that add to the pain (like drinking too much alcohol/caffeine). So I think you probably could adapt. I grew up in the NE and worked every hazy, hot and humid summer outdoors and loved it. Out here it took some time to adapt, but I figured it out. You probably can too but your issue sounds more like whether the opportunity is worth it or not.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:35 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
It sure sounds like you should stay in Florida. I've been here over 40 years and have never had a need for chapstick, lip balms or lotion of any kind.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:08 PM

566 posts, read 573,090 times
Your body will adjust to all of this. When we first got here I couldn't wear my contacts because they glued to my eyeballs and had to put vaseline on my feet every night. All is well now 8 months later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: