Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Phoenix: new life jumpstart, office transfer, low on cash, apartment down payment, buy furniture

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 AM

682 posts, read 2,569,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Stay in Ohio. A lot of my family lives in the frozen Tundra of the upper midwest. They are all broke and living paycheck to paycheck because the economy stinks - always has and always will. But, everybody's broke around there. It's the norm. You have plenty of friends who live in houses with the paint peeling off, see plenty of rusted and smoking old cars like yours at the ShopKo, and have bars and places to go where you can get a cheap beer or a reasonably priced drink. In short, you fit in.

If you're broke and move here, you're like a brown shoe at a wedding. You don't fit in. You move into a land where money matters. It matters in where you live, the friends you have, the places you go, the schools your kids attend, your safety on the streets, the self-esteem you may have and how you are perceived. If you are poor or on the edge, you get a lousy apartment in a dangerous part of town, where you neighbors are drug addicts or illegal aliens or crooks and thieves. Even if you are not one of these all your neighbors and everyone you tell your address to will think you are. Your old AMC Javelin will be a source of shame and ridicule here where in Ohio it might have been considered a classic - especially if the rust wasn't so bad.

Everywhere you look here you will see success. People with money and posers who have enough to pretend they do are like ants on a jelly bean here. There are Hummers and Beemers and so many houses bigger and more extravagant than anyone would ever need. After a while of seeing this and going back to your dingy apartment in your rundown neighborhood you will lose whatever sense of self-worth you came here with and sink into hopelessness and depression.

This is the worst place on earth to be down on your luck.
Everything in this post is so true. Some people may think that you are just being sarcastic, but I think that you mean what you say, and I agree with you.

altus2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:57 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,214,108 times
Ponderosa, I am not sure that is an entirely accurate statement to essentially say the entire Phoenix area is financially "loaded" and arrogant. Sure, some are. But not everyone.

Even your depiction of the upper midwest is a stereotype. Sure there were some places in Cleveland just as you describe. And there are some hovels here in AZ too. But that isnt what the entire area is like.

Bobleevegas, I am not sure I remember. What neighborhood/part of Cleveland or the burbs do you live in in Ohio?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:59 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
Everything in this post is so true. Some people may think that you are just being sarcastic, but I think that you mean what you say, and I agree with you.

altus2006
I took liberties with the Javelin and ShopKo remarks but am serious. I would hate to live here and not have the means to be in a better part of town.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Ponderosa, I am not sure that is an entirely accurate statement to essentially say the entire Phoenix area is financially "loaded" and arrogant. Sure, some are. But not everyone.

Even your depiction of the upper midwest is a stereotype. Sure there were some places in Cleveland just as you describe. And there are some hovels here in AZ too. But that isnt what the entire area is like.

Bobleevegas, I am not sure I remember. What neighborhood/part of Cleveland or the burbs do you live in in Ohio?
I didn't have Cleveland in mind. I have never been there. My frame of reference is the UP of Michigan and northern Wisconsin where I spent my childhood. I am not saying that Phoenix is loaded, but I truly believe that money matters here more than in many places. I came from very humble roots but got a great education in Wisconsin schools nonetheless. If you are poor here, your children will be tragically undereducated and neglected by the AZ educational system. Phoenix may not be unique in that respect, my experience is not wide enough to let me know that. But I would rather be broke in the UP than be broke here. Of that I am sure.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 AM

12 posts, read 30,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
You're 54 and broke living in Ohio. Obviously you need a change. Get out! If there is no opportunity why prolong the agony? You can go on Craigslist and find plenty of rooms for rent in a nice house for $500 a month or less without a security deposit. Some with a pool and private bathroom. Try and get a thousand or two put aside. Sell or donate everything besides what you need and start fresh. 54 is not old but if you wait another 5 years... You can easily find a job making $10-12/hr to get by on until something better comes along. Just get yourself organized, pack as much as you can fit into your car, arrange for a place to live and go! You can do the move for the price of gas, the months rent and a few hundred to get food for your first month. You can buy furniture cheaper at thrift shops than it would cost to rent a truck. Good luck!
I agree! You are a single guy so it will be easier for you to get on your feet. Try these web sites Apartments for rent: Apartment Guide, your free apartment finder
Apartments for Rent and Resources for Finding Apartment Rentals Nationwide - ForRent.com .
Many of these complexes are very easy to get into because they are desperate for tenants and they ask for a very low deposit (usually about $200 total).

Old 04-12-2008, 02:51 PM

108 posts, read 362,593 times
I live in Mayfield Heights, a suburb, of Cleveland.

Let me be clear, I may be " broke ", but I have a pretty decent job,

so I will have the income to rent a decent place, albeit probably not

some sort of " luxury " apartment.

Thanks for the replies, and I am pretty sure everyone in the Phoenix

area is not loaded. LOL!

Old 04-12-2008, 03:34 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,334,369 times
Quote:
Stay in Ohio. A lot of my family lives in the frozen Tundra of the upper midwest. They are all broke and living paycheck to paycheck because the economy stinks - always has and always will. But, everybody's broke around there. It's the norm. You have plenty of friends who live in houses with the paint peeling off, see plenty of rusted and smoking old cars like yours at the ShopKo, and have bars and places to go where you can get a cheap beer or a reasonably priced drink. In short, you fit in.

If you're broke and move here, you're like a brown shoe at a wedding. You don't fit in. You move into a land where money matters. It matters in where you live, the friends you have, the places you go, the schools your kids attend, your safety on the streets, the self-esteem you may have and how you are perceived. If you are poor or on the edge, you get a lousy apartment in a dangerous part of town, where you neighbors are drug addicts or illegal aliens or crooks and thieves. Even if you are not one of these all your neighbors and everyone you tell your address to will think you are. Your old AMC Javelin will be a source of shame and ridicule here where in Ohio it might have been considered a classic - especially if the rust wasn't so bad.

Everywhere you look here you will see success. People with money and posers who have enough to pretend they do are like ants on a jelly bean here. There are Hummers and Beemers and so many houses bigger and more extravagant than anyone would ever need. After a while of seeing this and going back to your dingy apartment in your rundown neighborhood you will lose whatever sense of self-worth you came here with and sink into hopelessness and depression.

Ponderosa, you are scaring me! I'm not broke, but I don't have much money either. When I move to Phoenix for my new job I'm going to be making a lot more than I'm makign now, but still not anywhere close to wealthy. I've done some looking around for apartments, and it looks like all I can comfortably afford, still leaving money at the end of the month to save, is about $700-750 a month, including utilities. I drive a 96 Mercury Sable, old, but no car payment, fortunately. I have a completely clean background. Am I going to be okay, or is Oklahoma City the better place? I definitely don't want to live in a town where the rich people snub the more modest people under them. Is Phoenix really like that?

Old 04-12-2008, 03:57 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,768,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
Ponderosa, you are scaring me! I'm not broke, but I don't have much money either. When I move to Phoenix for my new job I'm going to be making a lot more than I'm makign now, but still not anywhere close to wealthy. I've done some looking around for apartments, and it looks like all I can comfortably afford, still leaving money at the end of the month to save, is about $700-750 a month, including utilities. I drive a 96 Mercury Sable, old, but no car payment, fortunately. I have a completely clean background. Am I going to be okay, or is Oklahoma City the better place? I definitely don't want to live in a town where the rich people snub the more modest people under them. Is Phoenix really like that?
Our daughter has been hunting for a decent apt and $700 to $750 will not get you much more than a shoebox or a room. $800 to $900 might get you a decent one bedroom. What kind of salary do you think you will be making? I would not recommend moving on a wing and a prayer at your age (ours as well), unless you have a job already in place or are certain that your industry is booming here. Construction has certainly slowed. Best of luck.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:04 PM

611 posts, read 1,993,385 times
Quote:

This post is exactly opposite of the people I know in Arizona. Some have been there for thirty+ years and others less than a year. I was in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Peoria, Tempe and Surprise in January for a few weeks and did not see a single hummer, well maybe one or two. If you have self esteem you frankly don't give a rat's @zz what others have or believe you have. The only thing that stood out on my visit was how few overweight people you see compared to the east coast. That's a good thing for me and my wife as we are both fit and it is a great motivator if you are not. I never read that you were "down on your luck" just looking to do better. You will do better in Arizona. Believe it and it will happen!

Last edited by markas214; 04-12-2008 at 07:34 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
It's not the rich snubbing folks that I am getting at. What I see here is that there are limited choices for "median" income people. The places they can afford to live are often decaying. The schools in these older areas are bad and it feels like you are living in foreign country (guess which one) whenever you go to the grocery store. Your case is different in my mind than the other poster, though. You are only 26, at the beginning of your career, you have a job lined up and will probably be advancing in salary in the coming years. So things are quite hopeful for you in Phoenix. There is a lot of opportunity here for people in your stage of life. If I were in your shoes and I thought I would like Phoenix, I'd be here in a minute. If it doesn't work out then you move on richer and wiser for the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area