Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:54 PM

22 posts, read 108,222 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! We are moving from the Midwest to Phoenix in October ... for two years.

We will have two toddlers and be in the position to buy our first home, but we wonder whether it's wise to buy if we're only staying for two years.

On the other hand, we read a lot in the media about foreclosures and perhaps low costs to buy right now.

My question:
Is it worth it to buy for only two years?
Are there also good rental homes to be had at good rates?

Thank you so much in advance for any tips or thoughts on this!

p.s. (we're looking at north central phoenix or tempe)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 02:11 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,793 times
if i knew i HAD to be out of a house in 2 years i would not buy.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:17 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,528 times
Buying a home for only two years is a bit risky anywhere in the US right now. There are a lot of homes available for rent for very reasonable prices here - pretty much all over the valley.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:25 PM

307 posts, read 954,114 times
Default Two Year stay = must rent!

Just rent a home...

especially since you are in transition right now!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,167 times
Agree with others. With a two year window there is NO guarantee that you would even recoup your closing costs, and you could LOSE money in that short time frame. This from someone (me) who did just buy a home but with a longer time horizon before sale.

Rent.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:04 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,385 times
Rent.

altus2006

Old 04-13-2008, 04:06 PM

101 posts, read 383,280 times
I'm with everyone else and say rent. We don't have a timeline on how long we'll be in Phoenix (maybe forever), but we chose to rent. I have never understood how people move cross country or to other states that are unknown to them and buy outright. No offense if that's what's some do I just don't understand it. I think maybe that's why so many will come to an area and hate it. With renting you have the option to try out another area of town.

And to answer your question about affordable rental proprties...YES, there are many, many out there! We just secured a house this week with a pool and great outdoor area. The same house in Nashville would cost us at least $500 more than we will be paying out there. We'll be moving in as soon as school gets out!

Check out these sites for lots of homes:
Rentals.com - Home Rentals, Apartments, Houses for Rent, Condos and Rental Homes
Rental Houses Home Rentals, Homes for Rent, Houses for Rent, Rental Homes
Rental Homes | Houses for Rent | Home Rentals | House Rental

And there is always craigslist and backpage.com We found ours on rentals.com

Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,385 times
One reason people decide to buy right away is so that they don't have to move twice. I don't know what it costs to have a company come in and move one's furnishings for a three or four bedroom house across town, but I am assuming it is at least a few thousand $$$.

However, in this real estate climate, it makes more sense to me to spend the money to move twice if a person decided to buy rather than chance losing a bunch of money if the purchased house is worth less when one has to move again in a few years.

altus2006

Last edited by altus2006; 04-13-2008 at 04:39 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 08:43 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
I chose to rent. I was not hugely familiar with the area when I came here. I had been here maybe a dozen times on "trips" but that isnt the same as "knowing" an area. I figured I will rent at least a few years and explore the different areas and then decide if/when I will buy or not. That way I am sure I will end up where I want to be, as opposed to whoever has the slickest promotion/nicest model.

I would definitely NOT buy if you are only in for 2 years and dont plan to stay in Phoenix.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 AM

180 posts, read 655,982 times
I like owning and I hate renting.

However if you are planning on 2 years when you rent you know your costs from start to finish. If you buy you could lose alot. There is a chance you could make out really well since prices are down right now, but that is speculation and is best left to those think about that stuff all the time and are prepared to take a loss if it does not pan out as planned. If you planned to stay 5 years I would buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area