Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 01:42 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,699,075 times

Advertisements

When you guys say "resorts" are you basically referring to hotels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,071,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
When you guys say "resorts" are you basically referring to hotels?
Well, yes. They tend to be quite nice hotels with large pool(s), possibly a golf course, nice restaurants, etc. It's admittedly overkill if all you want is a place to lay your head. Only you can decide if it's a good value.

One more point... Earlier you had mentioned trying to stay closer to Chase Field. I will note that there are some not-so-cheery areas in Phoenix proper. I'm not terribly familiar with the Phoenix neighborhoods so I couldn't make any specific recommendations, but do ask if you have any doubts.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:49 PM

You all have been a big help.

I started thinking here. I probably will have a flight into Phoenix by 12-1 pm. You can't check into hotels until usually 3-4. My first day there in Phoenix was mostly going to be just walking around exploring the city. But what if instead of staying in Phoenix I drove closer to the Grand Canyon?

This would solve the issue of driving 4 hours the day I go to the Grand Canyon. Hotels probably would be cheaper versus staying in Phoenix area.

Then after I'm done doing whatever around the Grand Canyon I drive to Phoenix at a more leisure pace and check into the hotel. Then I still have all Monday during the day to walk around the city & then go to a game at night.

This of course would be renting a car because after good advice from previous poster it is in fact cheaper to rent a car versus the 180 fee of a tour.

So I guess my question is. Any recommendations on interesting towns that have legit places to stay closer to the Grand Canyon? I'd say I'd like to be within 30-60 minutes within the Grand Canyon.

And I just realized this..if I drive to an area closer to the Grand Canyon I could almost check it out that evening. Do they do anything at night? I guess my only concern would be flying into Phoenix & driving to a town closer to the Grand Canyon and having very little to do. Although if there are older towns you can check out I'm sure I'd love to walk around and explore, take pictures etc..

Old 04-24-2019, 10:48 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,234,466 times
What day are you getting in?

You could probably check in anytime after you land.

I think you underestimate how much available lodging is in phoenix in August - it's plentiful and discounted

It's probably easier to find cheap accommodation near phoenix than the GC in August. Low season vs high season.

That said, close to the GC you have Flagstaff and Williams. Flag is around 90 minutes, Williams a little bit less. Not much within 30-60 minutes that also has life.

Flagstaff is bigger than Williams and has a nice walkable downtown, a great observatory, and really good hiking. Very easy to kill a night, grab a good breakfast and go.

Williams is more of the old route 66 town, but gets busy as it has the grand canyon railway. Bearazona is a nice attraction there if you are into such things.

Both of these are considerable cooler than phoenix. If you have altitude sensitivity they can be tough (my father in law can't stay up there)

For a place that is more in the middle and very much AZ the is Jerome. About 2 1/2 to the canyon. Old mining town nestled into a hill that turned into an enclave. Some neat shops, restaurants, etc. Smaller, so more limited but definitely enough to kill a night.

Sedona is a little closer, again a unique AZ stop, but can be a bit more pricey and congested

Really no shortage of options. Look into them and cross to what you enjoy.

Same with your time in phoenix. Is a big metro without much that is really centralized, so best to have a couple ideas of what your interests are and then sketch from there

Old 04-25-2019, 03:48 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,071,651 times
Finger Laker makes many good points. Flagstaff would be a good choice, but summer lodging will be more expensive (perhaps much more) than in Phoenix.

Couple other points, perhaps obvious, but just in case...

It sounds like you’ll be arriving during a weekend? Be aware that the weekend traffic north of Phoenix is very heavy, and the four-hour drive you mention is optimistic for Fri/Sat/Sun. Staying up north on Sunday night and then driving back on Monday should be less problematic. And honestly, unless you’re a lizard, walking around Phoenix during the day in August will not be a pleasant experience.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
What day are you getting in?

You could probably check in anytime after you land.

I think you underestimate how much available lodging is in phoenix in August - it's plentiful and discounted

It's probably easier to find cheap accommodation near phoenix than the GC in August. Low season vs high season.

That said, close to the GC you have Flagstaff and Williams. Flag is around 90 minutes, Williams a little bit less. Not much within 30-60 minutes that also has life.

Flagstaff is bigger than Williams and has a nice walkable downtown, a great observatory, and really good hiking. Very easy to kill a night, grab a good breakfast and go.

Williams is more of the old route 66 town, but gets busy as it has the grand canyon railway. Bearazona is a nice attraction there if you are into such things.

Both of these are considerable cooler than phoenix. If you have altitude sensitivity they can be tough (my father in law can't stay up there)

For a place that is more in the middle and very much AZ the is Jerome. About 2 1/2 to the canyon. Old mining town nestled into a hill that turned into an enclave. Some neat shops, restaurants, etc. Smaller, so more limited but definitely enough to kill a night.

Sedona is a little closer, again a unique AZ stop, but can be a bit more pricey and congested

Really no shortage of options. Look into them and cross to what you enjoy.

Same with your time in phoenix. Is a big metro without much that is really centralized, so best to have a couple ideas of what your interests are and then sketch from there
This is great!!! I appreciate all the details.

I think I'll be landing on Saturday. I haven't booked a flight yet but almost 100% sure that will be the day in order for me to spend enough time on the back end of my trip in California.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Finger Laker makes many good points. Flagstaff would be a good choice, but summer lodging will be more expensive (perhaps much more) than in Phoenix.

Couple other points, perhaps obvious, but just in case...

It sounds like you’ll be arriving during a weekend? Be aware that the weekend traffic north of Phoenix is very heavy, and the four-hour drive you mention is optimistic for Fri/Sat/Sun. Staying up north on Sunday night and then driving back on Monday should be less problematic. And honestly, unless you’re a lizard, walking around Phoenix during the day in August will not be a pleasant experience.

What you said makes a lot of sense. The reason I think it would be better to drive north of Phoenix on Saturday (Despite heavy traffic) is that even though I might be able to check into a hotel it's not guaranteed until you get there. Plus, being from the east coast I always seem to crash early on my first day out west because I'm so tired. I feel like if I land in Phoenix. Drive north. Check into the hotel. Get dinner it will just be about time to relax & get ready for bed. Then I start early the next day because I'm still on East Coast time. Happens all the time when I go to California.

So I'd rather just use that first day to prepare the trip & avoid 8+ hours of driving in 1 day. I'm also planning on flying to LA on Tuesday morning so I think it would be better to have a relaxed time at a Diamondbacks game Monday night instead of driving back to Phoenix.

Thanks again

Old 04-25-2019, 09:21 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,234,466 times
If you head up mid/late Saturday afternoon traffic won't be that bad, unless there is an accident or something

A lot of the weekend crowd will be there

Saturday night in a weekend will be busy almost anywhere North of Phoenix on a weekend

Definitely doable to start up on a Saturday, go to the canyon Sunday and come back down to Phoenix that day - will have some congestion on the way back, but again unless there is a wreck it isn't that bad

Then find a place Sunday night near what you want to check out Monday.

Hit the game Monday night.

Then gone on Tuesday.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:08 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,912,039 times
I like your idea of driving north after you arrive. Doing the canyon and back in a day can be done but I wouldn't do it. Flagstaff is beautiful and would be a great stop, but you will need to book soon as it will be peak season there and demand for rooms will be high and prices will reflect that. A cheaper alternative might be cottonwood? Not quite as far north and a few miles out of your way but rooms will be much cheaper.

I would also recommend staying at the hotel san carlos in downtown Phoenix. Chase field is within walking distance and the hotel is cool, historic and connected to seamus mcaffrey's, a cool old irish pub.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I like your idea of driving north after you arrive. Doing the canyon and back in a day can be done but I wouldn't do it. Flagstaff is beautiful and would be a great stop, but you will need to book soon as it will be peak season there and demand for rooms will be high and prices will reflect that. A cheaper alternative might be cottonwood? Not quite as far north and a few miles out of your way but rooms will be much cheaper.

I would also recommend staying at the hotel san carlos in downtown Phoenix. Chase field is within walking distance and the hotel is cool, historic and connected to seamus mcaffrey's, a cool old irish pub.
Thanks for the hotel tip. Prices are realistic for me. I'd like something walking distance to stadium so that's a factor. Looks like airport is close to Chase Field too so anything near Chase Field should put me close to airport for leaving Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area