Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:14 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times

Advertisements

Not on great terms with these neighbors. Barking dogs, park like jerks blah blah blah. Try to avoid them. They don't throw furniture away they put it in the middle of the sidewalk in front of their house until it disappears. Sometimes a couple weeks.

Anyway they planted these bushes along our shared back wall. They make a terrible mess in our pool., Between seeds and dead flower pedals.

I just cut them back so it's not so obvious now. They do not trim them that I know of they just let them grow wild. I trim the stuff that hangs over and throw it across the wall. Aggravating use of my free time.

Would you be upset?

Also if anyone knows what these are, how tall will they get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 06:26 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times
Well the pic won't work. Anyway it's a 25 foot long block wall they planted these large flowering bushes all along. They create a ton of seeds and then all the flower pedals. They are 15 feet tall now.

These were guaranteed to grow over our side and make a mess throughout the year, every year.

Thoughts on planting something like that?

Old 04-24-2019, 06:59 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,709,785 times
I'm always puzzled by how passive Phoenix people are. Did you try politely mentioning some of the problems to the neighbors early on, like about the barking? Did you make inquiries to the city about whether you have grounds for a noise complaint? Did you make inquiries about whether there are city compliance regulations that might pertain to garbage (the furniture) left on the sidewalk or plants that go beyond the owners boundaries?

Old 04-24-2019, 07:00 PM

95 posts, read 162,108 times
Good fences make good neighbors.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:12 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,709,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44 View Post
Good fences make good neighbors.
Okay, Robert, but what about bad fences?

Old 04-25-2019, 09:19 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
You are allowed to trim bushes that grow over the property line. (Barring the existence of covenants) you do not have any control over what neighbors plant on their property.

Throwing trimmings over the wall is passive-aggressive behavior and is guaranteed to make your relationship with them worse.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:40 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Not on great terms with these neighbors. Barking dogs, park like jerks blah blah blah. Try to avoid them. They don't throw furniture away they put it in the middle of the sidewalk in front of their house until it disappears. Sometimes a couple weeks.

Anyway they planted these bushes along our shared back wall. They make a terrible mess in our pool., Between seeds and dead flower pedals.

I just cut them back so it's not so obvious now. They do not trim them that I know of they just let them grow wild. I trim the stuff that hangs over and throw it across the wall. Aggravating use of my free time.

Would you be upset?

Also if anyone knows what these are, how tall will they get?
While you have every right to be irritated throwing clippings over their wall is petty jerk move that’s not helping the situation at all. Have you even bothered trying to talk to your neighbour. If you don’t want the seeds and flowers from the bush flying into your pool get a decorative kind of screen and plonk it in front of the bush.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:56 AM

306 posts, read 335,930 times
Try a conversation with them first. You may have a local/county ordinance to address the barking dogs. I've done it where I live. Went to court over it. Won. Barking stopped. (bark collars I think).

Old 04-25-2019, 01:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Sounds like oleanders (the plants)

Old 04-25-2019, 01:20 PM

51 posts, read 61,967 times
I think throwing the cuttings into their yard makes you seem like the jerk, especially if you haven't addressed the issue with them. On the other hand, if you have addressed it with them and they told you to F off, then by all means...fire away. Just be prepared to deal with a neighbor that gets even more belligerent towards you.
If it were me, I'd be tossing that crap right back into your yard.

I do think you are within your rights to cut the stuff hanging over into your yard. Not much you can do to control what they plant in their yard though. If you're in an HOA, check to see if they have an approved plant list in the rules (mine does, one list for front yard and another for back yard). If the list exists and the plant isn't on there, complain to the HOA (hopefully after addressing with the neighbor but it sounds like you've already burnt that bridge). That does require you to figure out what the bush is though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area