U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 09:03 AM

40 posts, read 69,389 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I relocated from Southern California to Arizona in October 2017. We are currently renting a home in Gilbert (Gilbert & Baseline) so we could get used to the area and decide where we wanted to buy our "forever" home. My husband works near the Intel/Ocotillo plant in Chandler and I work in Mesa near Greenfield and University. When we lived in Southern California our commutes were between 75-90 minutes each way - right now we're down to 20-30 minutes.

We would love feedback on which city/neighborhoods (Mesa, Gilbert or Chandler) would work best for us. While love our current commute times, we are willing to increase from 20-30 minutes to 30-45 minutes for the right home. Currently, we don't have any children but plan to become foster/adoptive parents in the next 2-3 years so we are looking for family-friendly neighborhoods with 4-5 bedroom homes (single-story with no pools) below $350-400K that aren't in the middle of nowhere. We also don't care if we have to purchase an older resale or newly-built home.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 08:16 PM

637 posts, read 860,675 times
No offense, but you have been here almost 2 years and you haven’t figured this out yet? This is a question someone from out of state would be asking. Honesty, if you don’t know the answer after that much time here, how could anyone else help you?

With kids potentially coming soon, why would you want to increase your commute? That doesn’t make any sense at all.

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,449,525 times
Gilbert for sure. Great schools and very family friendly, clean and low crime place to live. Mesa's schools suck. I'm not sure about Chandlers schools but much of Chandler and Gilbert neighborhoods are indistinguishable from one another and honestly, either is probably an excellent choice. Search both and once you find the right house in either city, you'll be good to go.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:17 PM

33 posts, read 31,507 times
It's pretty tough to go wrong anywhere in Gilbert or Chandler. Mesa is very spotty. I live in the eastern part of Ahwatukee that basically borders Chandler and always like coming over to the Chandler side, especially the farther we go into Chandler. Actually, where Chandler and Gilbert intermingle is nice.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:36 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,449,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellenKing View Post
It's pretty tough to go wrong anywhere in Gilbert or Chandler. Mesa is very spotty. I live in the eastern part of Ahwatukee that basically borders Chandler and always like coming over to the Chandler side, especially the farther we go into Chandler. Actually, where Chandler and Gilbert intermingle is nice.
Yes I lived on Cooper/Warner where they border. Great area.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,476 times
My family and I JUST moved here from michigan 3 weeks ago! We’re renting a home as well here in Gilbert. We are trying to decide where we want to end up buying a home and of new construction or established already. Loving the Gilbert area and will explore chandler some more. I hope you guys figured things out!! Curious to know what the outcome was

Old 09-26-2019, 06:10 PM

18 posts, read 36,667 times
Gilbert is great all around as well as the parts of Queen Creek that border Gilbert. We live within 5 minutes of the QC Target and I mean, can it get any better? Haha. But honestly, there are TONs of kids all around us as the homes are bigger and slightly cheaper than even across the street in Gilbert!

I’ve helped some clients find homes here and in Power Ranch which is the ultimate family friendly area. More than happy to provide anyone with some great pockets of family friendly neighborhoods! Can help with any buying/selling needs as well!

Old 09-26-2019, 06:27 PM

7,962 posts, read 4,542,398 times
Gilbert. it's in the middle between the two work locations.

Also Gilbert is a nicer area than East Mesa.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:51 PM

7,508 posts, read 10,981,309 times
Gilbert seems to be a breeding ground for breeders, based on how there are "tons of kids" in the neighborhoods. Based on its population of roughly 250,000, it could be very likely the nation's largest "town" considering how it doesn't seem to want to identify itself as a city. It's definitely not for everybody ... especially for those who don't care to be around kids, and want more than just a sprawling suburb.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:57 PM

6,790 posts, read 10,694,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki8286 View Post
Gilbert is great all around as well as the parts of Queen Creek that border Gilbert. We live within 5 minutes of the QC Target and I mean, can it get any better? Haha. But honestly, there are TONs of kids all around us as the homes are bigger and slightly cheaper than even across the street in Gilbert!

I’ve helped some clients find homes here and in Power Ranch which is the ultimate family friendly area. More than happy to provide anyone with some great pockets of family friendly neighborhoods! Can help with any buying/selling needs as well!
Note that there is a distinct difference between Queen Creek and San Tan Valley even though many people think they are one in the same. The Town of Queen Creek is a more affluent area; in fact the town's median income is higher than Gilbert. San Tan Valley, on the other hand, is a lower income, unincorporated area of Pinal County. Because the two are often confused, this hurts the image of Queen Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area