Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 10:51 PM

13,963 posts, read 8,131,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Starbucks barista asks police officers to leave because customer 'did not feel safe,' police union claims.

A group of police officers were reportedly asked to move or leave a Starbucks coffee shop on the Fourth of July because a customer felt uncomfortable.

According to a tweet from the Tempe Officers Association, six Tempe Police Department officers were drinking coffee before their shift at the Starbucks near Scottsdale and McKellips roads when a barista told them a customer "did not feel safe" by their presence.

The barista allegedly asked the officers to move out of the customer's line of sight or to leave, the tweet states.

"This treatment of public safety workers could not be more disheartening. While the barista was polite, making such a request at all was offensive. Unfortunately, such treatment has become all too common in 2019," the organization wrote. "We know this is not a national policy at Starbucks Corporate and we look forward to working collaboratively with them on this important dialogue."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/starbucks...151437758.html

What are your thoughts?

If true the barista should be fired. Since when does a customer get to dictate who sits where in a Starbucks coffee shop? But I doubt they will.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:10 PM

39,122 posts, read 51,371,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
If true the barista should be fired. Since when does a customer get to dictate who sits where in a Starbucks coffee shop? But I doubt they will.
The "barista" aka young kid does not need to be fired. We need to stop calling for the execution of people who make politically incorrect judgments - particularly young people who are not into the hate game yet. Just explain the right way to handle situations like these and move on.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:43 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,927,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The "barista" aka young kid does not need to be fired. We need to stop calling for the execution of people who make politically incorrect judgments - particularly young people who are not into the hate game yet. Just explain the right way to handle situations like these and move on.
Umm....she and the leftist customer WERE PLAYING the hate game.
But then, you already knew that. You're just upset that they didn't get away with it.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,686,284 times
Who cares? Starbucks condemned the actions of this ONE employee. The cops can still get their coffee. Big whoop.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:23 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,306,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
More overpriced products from companies I can boycott.

That's extra money in my wallet for the long run. The nice thing about free market enterprise, you can spend your money however you want, whenever you want at whatever establishment.
That's the ideal thing to do: boycott any business or establishment that has disagreeable policies, or does something outright idiotic as in this case. I never go to Starbucks anyway. Their coffee products are too expensive in the first place, and too strong for my tastes. I can get better coffee at Circle K for about half the price of a cup of overpriced slop water at Starbucks.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:52 PM

175 posts, read 372,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Speaking only for myself, I would feel uncomfortable with a large group of cops congregated near me in an establishment - but that comes from my being a minority who has been treated less than kindly by cops in the past (disclaimer: not in Tempe).

If that situation occurred to me, I would get up and quietly leave the establishment. I would never dream of complaining to the establishment - it's my problem, not theirs. If that's where gaggles of cops routinely hang out, I would consider getting my beverage elsewhere - and again, that's my choice... I certainly wouldn't make a huge hairy deal out of it.

I am a retired LEO, and your post saddens me that you were treated in such a manner that you feel this way. The vast majority of us don't make judgement based on skin color.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:32 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,890,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc323 View Post
I am a retired LEO, and your post saddens me that you were treated in such a manner that you feel this way. The vast majority of us don't make judgement based on skin color.
Nice sentiment, but there are minority groups based on other aspects than skin color.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:37 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,890,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I must say, though, that I'd prefer the police union just contact Starbucks or even issue a press release. There's something really immature about turning to social media to air a grievance. A pet peeve of mine.

That's the whole point of unions - to play the "Woe is us" card whenever possible.

I find it interesting that it's the police *union* making a stink about this. There must be some sort of simmering labor/management issue going on in Tempe that's causing the union to act out like this.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:38 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,686,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I have a feeling if it was a gay couple asked to leave because a customer was uncomfortable, you'd be singing a different tune.
That would be illegal discrimination (Tempe) and the employee would likely face charges. Poor analogy.

Either way, the company came out against the employee’s discriminatory behavior, as I’m sure they would in your random hypothetical. I surely wouldn’t boycott based on the actions of one employee. That’s just idiotic.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:41 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,673,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
That's the whole point of unions - to play the "Woe is us" card whenever possible.

I find it interesting that it's the police *union* making a stink about this. There must be some sort of simmering labor/management issue going on in Tempe that's causing the union to act out like this.
Uh, no. The point of a union (at least in the private sector) is to get better wages benefits and working conditions for members than they could get trying to bargain on their own. That's certainly the case for union members in my field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area