U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 01:12 PM

272 posts, read 249,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I don't really think that commute would be horrible enough to make you sell and move immediately. There are a multitude of new high-rise apartments in that immediate area just look on zillow. Many so close that you could walk to work. Driving to that park and ride would add a ridiculous amount of time to your commute. You'd basically spend almost as much time driving there just to grab a train back into the city which is about a 40 minute train ride from there and 40 minutes would be longer than just driving to work from Scottsdale.
Oh interesting, if driving is shorter than I'd definitely drive. I was concerned about morning car traffic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 01:45 PM

3,596 posts, read 8,160,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
What is the parking situation like for work?
My wife's POD is that office, parking every day got pretty expensive and the IRS doesn't cover it. Luckily she only goes into the office a few times a month and parks on the street a block or two away for the time being. Almost everyone she works with telecommutes and only has to deal with parking once or twice a week at best.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
My wife's POD is that office, parking every day got pretty expensive and the IRS doesn't cover it. Luckily she only goes into the office a few times a month and parks on the street a block or two away for the time being. Almost everyone she works with telecommutes and only has to deal with parking once or twice a week at best.
How long has she been there? Can you DM me her position title? I'll be curious to see how quickly I am eligible for telecommuting.

Did she opt to take the IRS's public transportation subsidy? I thought my position required a lot of face to face with taxpayers, so we'll have to see what happens.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
How long has she been there? Can you DM me her position title? I'll be curious to see how quickly I am eligible for telecommuting.

Did she opt to take the IRS's public transportation subsidy? I thought my position required a lot of face to face with taxpayers, so we'll have to see what happens.
We used to live in Phoenix and it was easier for me to drop her off half the time as we only lived 5 minutes away. She did have a free pass for the light rail, but it took longer for her to walk to the light rail and wait than it did for me to drive over and drop her off.

Now live in Tucson and she drives up a few times a month. Her floor is like a ghost town, at best maybe 1-2 people on the entire floor when she's there. But like the fact we get Phoenix pay and take advantage of Tucson home prices.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,664,244 times
Quote:
Oh interesting, if driving is shorter than I'd definitely drive. I was concerned about morning car traffic.
Traffic won't be bad on Indian school in the mornings until you reach 7th st. As someone else suggested I would come in on Thomas and then head north on 3rd st to clarendon. It really isn't that horrible of a commute, although it does get very congested right around your work location.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Traffic won't be bad on Indian school in the mornings until you reach 7th st. As someone else suggested I would come in on Thomas and then head north on 3rd st to clarendon. It really isn't that horrible of a commute, although it does get very congested right around your work location.
Thanks. Looking at Google Maps, looks like i would go North on 3rd st and then west on either Clarendon or Indianola....Do you think Clarendon is better?

Old 08-29-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Looking at Google Maps, looks like i would go North on 3rd st and then west on either Clarendon or Indianola....Do you think Clarendon is better?
There is a school over there and it is a hot mess at drop off and pick up times. Indianola is a slightly better bet.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
There is a school over there and it is a hot mess at drop off and pick up times. Indianola is a slightly better bet.

Would I take Indianola to 2nd St? it looks like the Parking garage is off 2nd rather than Central?

Old 08-29-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Would I take Indianola to 2nd St? it looks like the Parking garage is off 2nd rather than Central?
Yep. And pay attention when you do, we had near accidents on a regular basis. Partially because of the school and because so many visitors to that building had no idea where they were going.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:24 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,664,244 times
The parking garage being on 2nd st. is a huge plus. In the mornings you can come in from 3rd st. and afternoons just take a rt. on Indian school and get the f outta dodge lol. Indian school eastbound isn't bad in the afternoons but westbound is a freaking nightmare. All in all as I said I really don't think this commute will be a soul crusher. You may decide you want to move closer and there are several very nice options very close to your job, but I don't think you need to rush or take a loss on your current place just to avoid this commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area