Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 04:22 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,278,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think a big difference between "20 somethings in Chicago" and "20 somethings in Phoenix" is that those in Chicago mostly grew up in the metro Chicago area or people moving to Chicago looking for a "big city" experience. Those in Phoenix are most likely transplants for the most part, not looking for "big city life," but looking for low cost, easier living with access to a large city/metro area.

Phoenix to Chicago comparison is truly apples to oranges, as Chicago is an older, dense, rust belt city that currently has a CBD that is extremely dynamic, vibrant and bustling, whereas the Phoenix CBD is slowly working to separate itself from being deemed a suburban high rise office park.

The cities have completely different everything almost, honestly. So I think most folks in Phoenix are there to escape brutal winters, have cheap housing, cheap costs to bring up a family, and a more laid back life. Urban vibrancy and dynamism, vibrancy and density just has not been a priority.
You make it sound like practically everybody in Phoenix moved here from somewhere else. Transplants do account for a large share of the population, but native born residents make up nearly 40%. I was born & raised in Phoenix, and I can tell you that I'm definitely not here for a laid back lifestyle or for the weather. I live here for IMPORTANT reasons, such as work and family.

The ones who moved here primarily because it's warm & sunny, or to escape the big city lifestyle have moved here for the wrong reasons. For one thing, good weather is subjective. Some people love the warmth & sunny skies, but others don't so much. Factor in the brutal heat from June through September, and it's not exactly the best climate. Also, anybody these days who moves here for a laid back, smaller city feel is only finding that Phoenix has become a large city with pretty much the same issues they supposedly escaped from (traffic, crime, pollution, etc.).

Phoenix has become one of the nation's largest cities & metro areas in recent years. It's too big anymore to keep behaving like a small or mid sized city. We need to attract more of the highly skilled and motivated types who move here for essential reasons like jobs & money. If people want a slower paced lifestyle, there are many small towns & rural areas in Arizona and the western U.S. which would suit their small townish ways better than Phoenix could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 08:39 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,741,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You make it sound like practically everybody in Phoenix moved here from somewhere else. Transplants do account for a large share of the population, but native born residents make up nearly 40%. I was born & raised in Phoenix, and I can tell you that I'm definitely not here for a laid back lifestyle or for the weather. I live here for IMPORTANT reasons, such as work and family.

The ones who moved here primarily because it's warm & sunny, or to escape the big city lifestyle have moved here for the wrong reasons. For one thing, good weather is subjective. Some people love the warmth & sunny skies, but others don't so much. Factor in the brutal heat from June through September, and it's not exactly the best climate. Also, anybody these days who moves here for a laid back, smaller city feel is only finding that Phoenix has become a large city with pretty much the same issues they supposedly escaped from (traffic, crime, pollution, etc.).

Phoenix has become one of the nation's largest cities & metro areas in recent years. It's too big anymore to keep behaving like a small or mid sized city. We need to attract more of the highly skilled and motivated types who move here for essential reasons like jobs & money. If people want a slower paced lifestyle, there are many small towns & rural areas in Arizona and the western U.S. which would suit their small townish ways better than Phoenix could.

I think it's working out alright, here's just this weeks big business headlines.

"Tech wages are growing, more STEM grads are staying in the state to work and Arizona has a 40% higher job growth rate in the tech sector than the U.S. overall, according to a new Arizona Technology Council report."

"Lucid Motors gets site plan approval, begins hiring for Arizona plant"

"Venture capital invested in Arizona startups surges to $400M in Q3"

"Last year, Arizona launched its technology sandbox, exemplifying a commitment to minimizing regulations and developing cutting edge business platform. Verdigris Holdings a startup tech company who joined the sandbox has now announced that it is developing its national headquarters in Arizona."

"Law enforcement tech company moves HQ from Las Vegas to East Valley with major growth plans"

"More than $3 billion in bioscience capital expenditures will be invested in Phoenix during the next 24 months, according to a report presented to Phoenix City Council on Oct. 8. Of that investment, $1 billion is underway, said Christine Mackay, director of economic development for the city of Phoenix. During the next two years, more than 7,000 health care and bioscience jobs will be created."

"Philadelphia solar company opens Valley office, plans to hire 60"

"ASU breaks ground on global headquarters for Thunderbird school"

"San Francisco direct mail company moves Valley office, hiring hundreds"

Old 10-16-2019, 10:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Everyone that has moved here or lives here does so for their OWN reasons. Their reasons are not wrong just because they are different from yours, and your reasons are not wrong because they are different than mine. Job and family may be IMPORTANT to you, but it's not so much to me. None of my family lives anywhere near (I moved here not knowing a soul) and work is just work; Jobs can be found most anywhere. Lifestyle and weather are important to me (and a lot of people, apparently). I often think those who are natives, those who have never lived someplace like the Midwest or east for an extended amount of time where the winters are truly awful, cannot really appreciate the need to "escape" to someplace with better weather. The toll it can take on a person is a very real thing.

I was going to say something to tie this in to the OPs original remarks, but this thread has gone so far askew, I don't even remember what they said anymore. The bottom line is, Phoenix is not Chicago. Never will be. (I am personally glad of that)

Last edited by ElleTea; 10-16-2019 at 11:45 AM..

Old 10-16-2019, 11:00 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,086,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Everyone that has moved here or lives here does so for their OWN reasons. Their reasons are not wrong just because they are different from yours, and your reasons are not wrong because they are different than mine. Job and family may be IMPORTANT to you, but it's not so much to me. None of my family lives anywhere near (I moved here not knowing a soul) and work is just work; Jobs can be found most anywhere. Lifestyle and weather are important to me (and a lot of people, apparently). I often think those who are natives, those who have never lived someplace like the Midwest or east for an extended amount of time where the winters are truly awful, can really appreciate the need to "escape" to someplace with better weather. The toll it can take on a person is a very real thing.

I was going to say something to tie this in to the OPs original remarks, but this thread has gone so far askew, I don't even remember what they said anymore. The bottom line is, Phoenix is not Chicago. Never will be. (I am personally glad of that)
Amen to THAT! I came to Phoenix precisely because it is NOT Chicago, which I don't miss one little bit (even the food, because the one good thing about Phoenix that is like Chicago is that you can get pretty much the same food thanks to all the other Chicagoans and Chicago chains that have moved here). I still have plenty of family back there, but visiting once a year for a week or so in May or September when the weather there is tolerable is enough for me!

Old 10-16-2019, 08:03 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,323 times
Quote:
I often think those who are natives, those who have never lived someplace like the Midwest or east for an extended amount of time where the winters are truly awful, cannot really appreciate the need to "escape" to someplace with better weather. The toll it can take on a person is a very real thing.
That's because that "need" to escape is imaginary and completely dictated by mindset. While there is some evidence to support the existence of SAD, you can experience the exact same phenomenon in Phoenix as a result of too much sun (if you don't believe this, look it up). Some of the happiest nations on earth are located in the Scandinavia region, where the weather and lack of daylight make Chicago's winters seem like a walk in the park by comparison. The problem isn't the location, it's the person.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:41 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,630,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
That's because that "need" to escape is imaginary and completely dictated by mindset. While there is some evidence to support the existence of SAD, you can experience the exact same phenomenon in Phoenix as a result of too much sun (if you don't believe this, look it up). Some of the happiest nations on earth are located in the Scandinavia region, where the weather and lack of daylight make Chicago's winters seem like a walk in the park by comparison. The problem isn't the location, it's the person.
I had SAD, used to have to take prescription anti-depressants for it from October to April back when I lived in NY. Was able to quit them cold Turkey when I moved here. So it was the location for me

Old 10-16-2019, 10:46 PM

381 posts, read 350,242 times
Phoenix is boring and for old people.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
SAD is definitely a real thing. It affects the person, yes, but it is CAUSED by the environment. So yes, the "need" (not sure why this was in quotes in your post) is definitely a REAL THING.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:47 AM

717 posts, read 1,059,323 times
Quote:
SAD is definitely a real thing. It affects the person, yes, but it is CAUSED by the environment. So yes, the "need" (not sure why this was in quotes in your post) is definitely a REAL THING.
You seem a lot more confident than, you know, actual scientists.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...doesn-t-exist/

Old 10-17-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
You seem a lot more confident than, you know, actual scientists.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...doesn-t-exist/
Yep. Because I have, you know, experienced it.

And so have a lot of people, including many on this forum and in this city who moved here from Chicago and other places to feel better. Throwing around links isn't going to change that, and of course, everyone knows you can find anything on the internet to back up what you think is true...doesn't mean it is! Real life experience > than links and "science."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area