Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 09:24 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,278,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Probably more like ABQ but you’re not wrong. So what?

So what? The poster I was responding to appeared to complain about people seeking Phoenix out for its weather. It's silly because that's literally the main reason the city exists in its current shape and form. Maybe you don't like the way it has grown and developed, but without it it wouldn't have grown and developed at all. Why would you move to the Sonoran desert otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 09:40 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
So what? The poster I was responding to appeared to complain about people seeking Phoenix out for its weather. It's silly because that's literally the main reason the city exists in its current shape and form. Maybe you don't like the way it has grown and developed, but without it it wouldn't have grown and developed at all. Why would you move to the Sonoran desert otherwise?
It grew and developed for other reasons besides sunshine. If Phoenix sustained itself on the weather/climate alone, it would probably be the size of Palm Springs, CA. My parents came here in the 1950s ... not because of the sunshine, but because my dad was offered a job at Motorola, which was a new state of the art company at the time. Another reason people moved here was due to it being more affordable than some other large cities. I was born & raised here, and I certainly reside here for other reasons besides the sun. In fact, I consider the constant sunshine to be more of a drawback than a benefit. If you lived here for any length of time, you'd know what I mean.

Moving to Phoenix strictly for the sunshine is about like moving to San Francisco for the fog, Seattle for the rain, or Buffalo for the snow. If I wanted to move somewhere mainly for the weather, I'd pick somewhere else besides Phoenix. My ideal location for year round climate is the CA coast, specifically San Diego area. Why don't I live there? Important reasons like cost of living, jobs, and family take precedence over less essential reasons like sunshine.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:47 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,278,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It grew and developed for other reasons besides sunshine. If Phoenix sustained itself on the weather/climate alone, it would probably be the size of Palm Springs, CA. My parents came here in the 1950s ... not because of the sunshine, but because my dad was offered a job at Motorola, which was a new state of the art company at the time. Another reason people moved here was due to it being more affordable than some other large cities. I was born & raised here, and I certainly reside here for other reasons besides the sun. In fact, I consider the constant sunshine to be more of a drawback than a benefit. If you lived here for any length of time, you'd know what I mean.

Moving to Phoenix strictly for the sunshine is about like moving to San Francisco for the fog, Seattle for the rain, or Buffalo for the snow. If I wanted to move somewhere mainly for the weather, I'd pick somewhere else besides Phoenix. My ideal location for year round climate is the CA coast, specifically San Diego area. Why don't I live there? Important reasons like cost of living, jobs, and family take precedence over less essential reasons like sunshine.
So why do you think Motorola - a company out of Chicago - built their new lab after WW2 in Phoenix and not Chicago or North Dakota?

Much of the science and tech presence in the Southwest stems from the favorable conditions - low humidity, lack of a bad freeze, clear skies.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
So why do you think Motorola - a company out of Chicago - built their new lab after WW2 in Phoenix and not Chicago or North Dakota?

Much of the science and tech presence in the Southwest stems from the favorable conditions - low humidity, lack of a bad freeze, clear skies.
It's a contributing factor, I won't deny that, but companies like Motorola located here because there was demand for those kinds of jobs. There has to be a certain skill set ... those jobs don't just pop up mainly because of better weather. If Phoenix was reliant on the climate for its growth, there would be few electronic/tech type of jobs, and most everybody would be working service level jobs. Anybody can work at McDonalds, but companies like Motorola, Honeywell, Intel, and even many financial firms depend on skills, talent, and education level of the employees for their job bases.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:07 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,750,993 times
Quote:
Motorola set up shop here because they had become a major defense contractor during WW2 and the Defense Department did not want them to be concentrated in one area. That explains why they didn't build additional facilities in Chicago. Can't speak to North Dakota.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:29 AM

66 posts, read 45,719 times
Phoenix weather beats many other cities but that's not why I moved here.
For me it was the job opportunities, major league sports, and good transportation options that beat out the mid-size city I came from.
Forget Chicago, I mean it's fine for anyone who likes living there but it's crowded, old, and a lot of violent crime.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:14 PM

52,338 posts, read 52,791,864 times
It's sorta similar here in LA. They are trying to spruce up DTLA and are now actually having more things to do and after 5pm on a weekday downtown used to really be a dead at night.

I think LA and Phoenix both sorta suffer from the fact that it's such a spread out area. I was just in downtown Phoenix last month for work and I did see a bit of things going on, but not like a place like Chicago. I found Tempe Mill Ave to be much more fun and engaging than downtown Phoenix, the few times I've been in those areas. Tempe has a much larger population of young people for the obvious reasons.

Again, suburban sprawl is probably to blame for it and a lack of city planning is also to blame. Cities have to spend a bit of time luring developers to come in and invest in certain areas otherwise things don't always take off.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's sorta similar here in LA. They are trying to spruce up DTLA and are now actually having more things to do and after 5pm on a weekday downtown used to really be a dead at night.

I think LA and Phoenix both sorta suffer from the fact that it's such a spread out area. I was just in downtown Phoenix last month for work and I did see a bit of things going on, but not like a place like Chicago. I found Tempe Mill Ave to be much more fun and engaging than downtown Phoenix, the few times I've been in those areas. Tempe has a much larger population of young people for the obvious reasons.

Again, suburban sprawl is probably to blame for it and a lack of city planning is also to blame. Cities have to spend a bit of time luring developers to come in and invest in certain areas otherwise things don't always take off.
I remember the days when downtown L.A. was pretty much dead, and had very little to offer. There was a time when there were hardly any skyscrapers there, and the tallest building for many years was City Hall. You're correct that Phoenix and L.A. are somewhat similar as far as growth patterns & urbanization. Both cities grew immensely after WWII, focused mainly on outward development, and allowed the urban areas to deteriorate.

In recent years, there has been more of a demand for urban revitalization, infill, and vertical development in cities that are largely known for being horizontal. One reason L.A.'s downtown area became denser and taller was the city ran out of room to keep growing outward. Phoenix still has room for more sprawl, but more people are wanting to be centralized now than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area