Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 11:37 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times

Advertisements

Underground garbage receivers are a relic of the past, and they were pretty common in certain Phoenix area subdivisions before the 1980s. At the time, garbage collection basically consisted of two guys on the truck: the driver and the collector. The collector would jump off the truck, pick up the trash cans and dump the garbage in the truck. (There were no barrels and no recylcing, just regular garbage cans.) Empty cans were left on the curbs so that the homeowners could simply put them in the underground receptacles. They looked very much like these:
https://untappedcities.com/2016/09/2...-waste-in-nyc/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 12:01 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Underground garbage receivers are a relic of the past, and they were pretty common in certain Phoenix area subdivisions before the 1980s. At the time, garbage collection basically consisted of two guys on the truck: the driver and the collector. The collector would jump off the truck, pick up the trash cans and dump the garbage in the truck. (There were no barrels and no recylcing, just regular garbage cans.) Empty cans were left on the curbs so that the homeowners could simply put them in the underground receptacles. They looked very much like these:

^^^Those in ground garbage cans in the above web photos are exactly what are used throughout the Sun Cities. They are left in the ground with the lid cover kept on to keep predators from knocking them over and creating a mess. The trash company Parks and Sons picks up trash twice a week. The trash men jump off the back of the trash trucks go to your driveway lift the lid and pull the inner can out then dump the trash into their barrels, then they replace your can back into the ground. After filling up their barrels they then dump the trash into the trash truck container.
Recyclables are picked up every other week in separate containers left on the driveway near the street.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:42 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
When I saw them for the first time here I was shocked. We used to have them in some towns in the Boston metro area when I was a little kid. They were for garbage. Trash went in your regular barrel. They had separate trucks/men come into the yard to empty them.
I tell my renters in SCG they're actually pretty convenient. You fill a grocery store bag with your trash from dinner every night and drop it in the pale. Never have to worry about trash day or moving a barrel to the street.
Is there a difference between garbage and trash?

Old 09-27-2019, 09:06 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
So weird! I am glad they are a thing of the past. How ugly.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:35 PM

550 posts, read 1,125,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
So weird! I am glad they are a thing of the past. How ugly.
not as ugly as the garbage bins sitting at the curb on trash days. And no need to run after the bins rolling down the street on a stormy day.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:38 PM

550 posts, read 1,125,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
Had a good rain last night and just moved to AZ from the Midwest. Our in-ground trash/recycling receptacles are full with water and the ground is really saturated around the receptacles themselves.

Any suggestions? Do I try to bucket the water out? I've take the inner receptacle out but the outer one, I don't believe, is normally removed. I assume some of the water is in the receptacle because the ground is so saturated. There were lids on the receptacles but they still filled to the brim.

Not sure what to do?
In 11 years we have been here we never had a problem with water in the in-ground receptacle but I have read on Next door that a few people have this problem. So you are not the only one. Wish I could tell you what to do. We have pavers around the receptacles.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:08 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
I miss those days when we just put our cans and boxes and whatever out and they took them. This was in the late 90s in my neighborhood. But progress and mechanization has taken over and we have the big ugly things now.

My MIL still has those in-ground things. She doesn't really have enough room to store one of the big trash bins we have now. Lifting a heavy bag up to the height of the trash bin would be hard for many elderly women (and men), so that's an advantage to the in ground system. And with all the coyotes that run around Sun City, cans in the alley would be out of the question.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:40 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
I find it odd that you have to bend down to the ground to throw away your trash in the communities where people most often have trouble bending down. I'm nowhere near Sun City age, and I'm glad I don't have to do that.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:55 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I find it odd that you have to bend down to the ground to throw away your trash in the communities where people most often have trouble bending down. I'm nowhere near Sun City age, and I'm glad I don't have to do that.
They don't. They step on a handle, the lid opens and they DROP. I do pity the poor guy who has to lift those cans out all day.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:44 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They don't. They step on a handle, the lid opens and they DROP. I do pity the poor guy who has to lift those cans out all day.
Ah that makes more sense! Now I'm jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area