Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 04:38 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times

Advertisements

In this time of even the most basic grocery items having limited availability, here is a breakdown of some of the things I've been able to purchase. Most of these locations are in north & central Phoenix, but many of them are chain stores, so the same items could be found at other locations in the metro area ... although it's certainly no guarantee.

* Fresh fish (Salmon, Tilapia, etc.): Whole Foods at 20th Street & Highland has a full service butcher counter open for business. I purchased 10 ounces of fresh Alaskan Salmon for $16, which I'll be cooking tonight. This is actually a cheaper price than what you'd get at most restaurants. An important note: seafood restaurants such as Red Lobster are not serving fresh fish at this time, but they are serving fried seafood, which you could probably get just as easily & cheaper at a place like Pete's (*puke*).

* Fresh meats (beef, poultry, etc.): Again, Whole Foods stores have a pretty good supply of these items at their butcher counter, although I would expect to pay more here than somewhere like Fry's. I haven't checked Fry's to see if their meat department is in operation, but the Bashas' market I went to has completely closed off their fresh meat section! They do have some packaged meats, and a limited supply of packaged seafood.

* Toilet paper, napkins, and other paper products: This is where being a senior citizen comes in handy. I took my mother to a Bashas' at 32nd Street & Shea last week to take advantage of their senior only shopping hours. We were able to find toilet paper, but not the name brands. I bought a 12 pack of a generic product, which isn't worth a sh*t (pun intended). Still, we were at least able to find it, whereas it would be impossible during other times. If you go to Bashas' or most other supermarkets, there is a limit to one paper good per person. We found napkins too, but had to put them back per the store's policy.

* Plastic cutlery (forks, spoons, etc.): Hard to find at Bashas' & Fry's, but Safeway at 32nd Street & Camelback had these items in supply (although rather limited) when I went.

* Vitamins: Pay a little more and go to Walgreens (16th Street & Glendale Avenue). They have full shelves of vitamins, as well as just about any basic healthcare item: Band Aids, cough drops, allergy/cold remedies, Neosporin, Cortizone, etc. I would definitely avoid Target or WalMart for these items due to the larger crowds, and the likelihood of these places being out of stock on many items.

* Salons: Most are open, only with limited hours. Tanning beds are still available, and a good way to practice distancing. They are heavily sanitized and separated.

Feel free to chime in with helpful suggestions for any other available goods & services. I'm still having difficulty finding cereals, especially Post Shredded Wheat (the solid, unsweetened kind ... not the kind you shred yourself). This wasn't available even during Bashas' senior hours ... nor were milks, eggs, orange juice, and even many canned juices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 10:55 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,928,788 times
obviously, stock status varies by location, but in the NW valley, I've been able to get great meat at the butcher counter of AJ's,(expensive), the Frys on 67th and Happy valley has had most things in stock, especially dairy products, full selection of fresh fruits and veggies, most breads, and almost all frozen goods in stock.And yes, they had brand name shredded wheat AND the Kroger Brand!

Some cleaning products, some toilet paper, but. I leave it for those that have none, and no napkins or Kleenex. There is a Frys market on lake pleasant and happy valley, and they had most things except paper goods in stock.

A bit further north's the Fry's on I17 and dove valley road, the store had everything, fresh bakery, fresh meat, dairy, full produce, only a few paper products and no lysol spray, the only thing I sort of need at this point.

I would totally avoid Costco/Target/Sams, as I've only read about them being out of stock on everything, and the Costco in Glendale has a line around the building at 8am every morning, I have no idea why, but some of the super Walmarts up here have had almost everything, including many paper products.

Pro tip; try to avoid shopping on Saturday and Sunday, as most places get fewer deliveries those days, and for those that are still working at their place of business, those are the only two days they can shop, so let them have the stores those days, and those of us either stuck at home, or not working anymore can go shopping at other times..

Old 03-28-2020, 12:09 AM

13,881 posts, read 8,079,329 times
I'm 62 so I can go to Fry's between 6-7 a.m. and buy want I need.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:06 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,752,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I'm 62 so I can go to Fry's between 6-7 a.m. and buy want I need.
My one 6 am senior visit to Fry's had no paper or disinfectant products.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:35 PM

I had better luck at Fry's yesterday in the late afternoon (normally a busy time) with finding pretty much everything I needed. Paper products were still in very short supply, but just about everything else was fully available. This was the Fry's at 20th Street & Highland. Unlike Bashas' where many of their shelves were bare even during the early senior hours. They have a severe shortage of milk, juice, eggs, and soups, but their deli was pretty well stocked. I'm now convinced that Bashas' has more of a problem with their distribution than the hoarding ... especially since they have strict limitations on the purchase of certain products. Lesson learned: avoid Bashas'!

Old 03-29-2020, 01:51 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,976,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I had better luck at Fry's yesterday in the late afternoon (normally a busy time) with finding pretty much everything I needed. Paper products were still in very short supply, but just about everything else was fully available. This was the Fry's at 20th Street & Highland. Unlike Bashas' where many of their shelves were bare even during the early senior hours. They have a severe shortage of milk, juice, eggs, and soups, but their deli was pretty well stocked. I'm now convinced that Bashas' has more of a problem with their distribution than the hoarding ... especially since they have strict limitations on the purchase of certain products. Lesson learned: avoid Bashas'!
It’s a smaller company without the Kroger supply chain behind it. Of course it does

Old 03-29-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It’s a smaller company without the Kroger supply chain behind it. Of course it does
I still prefer to shop at Bashas' because it's Arizona based, and I can usually find just about everything I need or want there on a normal shopping trip. I do wish they had a better distributor, and a larger expansion of stores throughout the state & beyond. Seems they want to be limited for some odd reason. Since they are limited on their distribution, I also wish their prices would be a little lower than they are.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:52 AM

2,790 posts, read 7,465,745 times
Quote:

* Fresh fish (Salmon, Tilapia, etc.): Whole Foods at 20th Street & Highland has a full service butcher counter open for business. I purchased 10 ounces of fresh Alaskan Salmon for $16, which I'll be cooking tonight. This is actually a cheaper price than what you'd get at most restaurants. An important note: seafood restaurants such as Red Lobster are not serving fresh fish at this time, but they are serving fried seafood, which you could probably get just as easily & cheaper at a place like Pete's (*puke*).
I have noticed the usual seafood vendors have not been present at the Uptown Farmers Market the last two Saturdays. In better news, Chula Seafood is offering family meals of a pound of fish paired with two sides, available for pickup or delivery:

https://www.chulaseafood.com/delivered.html

Old 03-30-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I have noticed the usual seafood vendors have not been present at the Uptown Farmers Market the last two Saturdays. In better news, Chula Seafood is offering family meals of a pound of fish paired with two sides, available for pickup or delivery:

https://www.chulaseafood.com/delivered.html
Good to know there are various options. When I found out Red Lobster (and other restaurants) stopped serving fresh fish when the restaurant restrictions started, I was devastated. It's a tradition of mine to get their Salmon dinner every week or so. Bashas' closed down their fresh meat & seafood area, so luckily there's always Whole Foods where it's actually cheaper to buy fresh fish and fix it myself, even though I don't care to cook. If seafood restaurants want to lose business this way, fine. It's their loss.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:25 AM

10 posts, read 5,965 times
Quote:
Good to know there are various options. When I found out Red Lobster (and other restaurants) stopped serving fresh fish when the restaurant restrictions started, I was devastated. It's a tradition of mine to get their Salmon dinner every week or so. Bashas' closed down their fresh meat & seafood area, so luckily there's always Whole Foods where it's actually cheaper to buy fresh fish and fix it myself, even though I don't care to cook. If seafood restaurants want to lose business this way, fine. It's their loss.
not everyone can afford to eat fancy meals at Red Lobster on a weekly basis. For the rest of us common folk, even getting canned Tuna Fish has been hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area