Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 01:35 PM

39 posts, read 51,133 times

Advertisements

Good day to all.

Have any of you done a flat roof sealing/painting yourself? Is it difficult?

Any and all suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 01:45 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwcfan View Post
Good day to all.

Have any of you done a flat roof sealing/painting yourself? Is it difficult?

Any and all suggestions would be great.
I did mine years ago when I lived in Ahwatukee area. I washed it down, laid strips of synthetic material for this purpose in the bad spots and then coated it with a white polymer with a roller. It was easy. Worked great. Pay particular attention around flashings and the scuppers. These tend to crack and leak. Don't skimp on the white goop.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:25 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
I have done it in the past. It is not difficult. Get a couple of good rollers, a brush or two and some extension poles.

If you have access to a power washer that would be great, but a hose with a good nozzle & broom will work in most cases.

The hardest part is getting the 5 gallon cans elastomeric up to the roof.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:29 PM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
What kind of roof you do have is it foam, or hot rolled? If it's foam you want to call a roofing company because once it fails past the coating the foam will break down fast I have 2 roofs with pitched in the middle. One side I had foam put in but after about 8 years even with the roofing company resealing it started to leak. They fixed the roof under warranty, but leak caused $1000 in dry wall damage which the roofing company doesn't pay for. In fact they fixed it twice it leaked again I have held off for entire monsoon season fixing the dry wall until I'm 100% sure the leak is gone.

The other side is hot rolled it's been there for 20 plus years without any leaks I have resealed it with white elastomeric paint from home depot, but it only lasted a year cracked. I might get another roofer to spray it on they can put it on better then rolling. The rolling is cheaper but it' goes on thin lot of work I would rather spend more money have a professional do it correctly have it last.

I won't do another foam roof again it's just too easy to start leaking always cracks around pipe joints.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:48 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
My house has a foam roof. There's a persistent leak right next to a Solatube. (The previous owners put in skylights all over the place.) I have roofers coming out tomorrow to take a look.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My house has a foam roof. There's a persistent leak right next to a Solatube. (The previous owners put in skylights all over the place.) I have roofers coming out tomorrow to take a look.
I will never buy a home again with a flat roof makes everything so difficult to do.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:46 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,139 times
I used a stuff called kool seal it is like a white rubbery paint, I put it on with a broom but you can use a roller,easy to do works great on flat roofs and you can layer on so in 5 years or so just wash the roof off and apply another layer of the stuff.They sell it at HD and Lowes but under another name now.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:09 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I will never buy a home again with a flat roof makes everything so difficult to do.
Doesn't really matter to me. I'm not getting up on a ladder and clambering onto the roof under any circumstances. I'll be paying someone to do that while I'm sipping something cool and refreshing.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 03-17-2020 at 07:18 PM..

Old 03-17-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Doesn't really matter to me. I'm not getting up on a ladder and clambering onto the roof under any circumstances. I'll be paying someone to do that while I'm sipping something cool and refreshing.
Actually going on the roof is the easy part the problem with flat roofs is for one they leak easily it doesn't run off quickly.

What I hate about flat roof is the lack of an attic where things like duct work, electrical, water pipes any of that can not be easily gotten to without tearing out dry wall.

My duct work is old builder grade leaks I want it replaced in order to do it we have to move out of the house. The cost isn't worth the hassle easier to just move to another house that won't have a flat roof.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:02 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times
You really want to risk that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area