Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,128 times

Advertisements

We are going to be relocating in 2 yrs, and we're looking at Phoenix, but also at the Carolinas. One thing that worries me about Phx is - what do the kids do from Apr-Oct? I mean, in cooler climates, you open the back door, and they race outside and play in the lawn. But I can't imagine you have the same option here, so besides going to the pool every day, what do kids do? Can they play outside, or do they stay indoors a lot? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 AM

34 posts, read 103,338 times
Two amusement parks will be open by then, coyote canyon and decades both in south east valley

Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
This question comes up a lot, and the consensus in past threads has been that kids are pretty resilient. They'll often find ways to play outside despite the heat -- just as kids in cold climates find ways to do the same in winter. As a parent, I try to structure the schedule in the hot months to favor early morning or evening outdoor activities so that the hottest parts of the days are reserved for pool time and indoor activities. To protect your kids from the worst effects of summer heat and bright sun, keep them sunblocked and well-hydrated.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:44 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Kids play outside in the pool, or if no pool then a sprinkler, they play games on their computers, they go to the mall, the movies, a couple of amusement parks with miniature golf and arcade games, go to the zoo, go visit friends, go on vacation with parents. Gosh they do what kids do everywhere, they adapt to their environment.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM

307 posts, read 953,955 times
Default Native to Phoenix!

When I was a child...

We just played outside like everyone else!

We did not have the video games like today or even good cable...

Remember ONTV?

Oh! When we were thirsty - we drank water!

We could not afford a swimming pool, so we did sometimes swim in irrigation canals... NOT RECOMMENDED!

Old 04-19-2008, 06:51 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,128 times
Thanks for the info everyone. It's true, I think the kids are more resilient than adults. I should probably have asked what adults do! Thanks.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:00 PM

264 posts, read 1,085,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. It's true, I think the kids are more resilient than adults. I should probably have asked what adults do! Thanks.
Kids just don't care, as when you grow up you are more likely to compain about things

Old 04-19-2008, 06:55 PM

600 posts, read 1,083,573 times
Well, i dont know how old your kids are but Im 17 and I do alot here. The art district at night is amazing (if you allow ur kids out at night). There are always concerts and get togethers and the people are awesome. There are also alot of art things and coffee houses (if you look for them) and alot of things to do. When i was younger i played outside just like any little kid, rode bikes, played swards, made forts,... i actually never went swimming. Theyll get a good tan is about all.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:10 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
I moved to Phoenix when I was 11 years old and we used to hang out outside in the summer all the time...riding our bikes, building tree houses/forts in the desert...things like that, the heat never bothered us, it wasn't even something we thought about.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:14 PM

600 posts, read 1,083,573 times
of course people like me and HX will most likely die of skin cancer by time we are 40, but hey we had a blast when we where kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area