Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 05:37 PM

81 posts, read 73,827 times

Advertisements

Do you believe Phoenix and Tucson metros will eventually meet as they expand? If so how many decades out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 05:50 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
No...there was another thread on this as well...there are about 100 miles and a large reservation in the way. Unless you are talking about expanding up H79...but that is a whole lot of NOTHING out there.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:55 PM

81 posts, read 73,827 times
The nothingness was strange to me at first being from the east coast. I wondered this as I took my first trip down to Tuscon area. The idea isn’t crazy in abstract— I’m from the megalopolis where all the cities “meet” but you may be right that there will never be enough time or population growth to join these two cities. I don’t understand some of the towns in between. What do people do in casa grande?

Old 10-23-2019, 06:47 PM

105 posts, read 84,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate2345 View Post
What do people do in casa grande?

This may be of help-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byc9Fs5HBdQ

Old 10-23-2019, 06:49 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate2345 View Post
The nothingness was strange to me at first being from the east coast. I wondered this as I took my first trip down to Tuscon area. The idea isn’t crazy in abstract— I’m from the megalopolis where all the cities “meet” but you may be right that there will never be enough time or population growth to join these two cities. I don’t understand some of the towns in between. What do people do in casa grande?

What do you mean by what do they do? Live life, go to school, go to work, etc... they're only 45 minutes from major employers in Chandler like Intel for example, that's a pretty reasonable commute in most big cities across the country. On top of existing employers like Frito Lay and Monsanto the likes of Lucid Motors will be opening a giant factory there employing something like 2,000 people in the next few years.

I'm too much of a city dweller to be personally interested in Casa Grande but for those who like a more rural lifestyle I can see the appeal.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:18 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
There is a lot of state, federal, and reservation land in between that will prevent Phoenix and Tucson from ever meeting in our lifetimes. Perhaps hundreds of years out when there might be no more US government, etc, but I'd say that's a crapshoot given I don't expect humanity to even last that long, but that's a whole different matter and way off topic.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:48 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
There is a lot of state, federal, and reservation land in between that will prevent Phoenix and Tucson from ever meeting in our lifetimes. Perhaps hundreds of years out when there might be no more US government, etc, but I'd say that's a crapshoot given I don't expect humanity to even last that long, but that's a whole different matter and way off topic.
I tend to agree with this. If we imagine a time when these two cities are connected, which presupposes that other similar rural areas around the country are also filled in, unless there's a marked change in how we get energy, how we utilize it, and what we do with our waste, we will have exceeded the ability to provide those types of resources and it's doubtful that humanity is still around at that point. So, I think the answer is no... until yes... and then no again. haha.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:55 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Here is a reputable news source that has an idea of what will happen in the future

https://www.theonion.com/new-study-f...eni-1819579315

Old 10-24-2019, 12:06 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Here is a reputable news source that has an idea of what will happen in the future

https://www.theonion.com/new-study-f...eni-1819579315
Ha ha! Well, if The Onion says it's so...

Old 10-24-2019, 01:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
The Phoenix/Tuscon metros would have to meet Casa Grande first and that's basically impossible; both Casa Grande and Maricopa are on the other side of the Gila River Indian Reservation.

The only real way to do it is to expand to Florence via San Tan/AJ but the infrastructure isn't there for that to happen. There's basically 1 way into San Tan, Ellsworth/Rittenhouse, and no real way to turn that into a freeway. Just the space between AJ and Florence would take another 30+ years to fill in probably more. It's an area that's twice, or more, the size of Surprise.

Could it happen? I don't see why not. Will it happen? Not in our lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area