Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 02:53 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,302,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I don't think any realtor goes into the business and says "I want to cover the entire Valley." Of course it's not great ROI. But agents have to start somewhere. If business comes my way, I'm not turning it down. And by "family" I mean that I actually give a crap. Purchasing a home is more than a "business transaction." A lot of the time it's an emotional purchase. There is a lot more that goes into it.

And I appreciate your marketing hint; however, I think honesty is the best policy in this industry. I have nothing to hide.
Do what it takes to make the money, sounds like you go the extra mile to get yourself competent in different areas of town for your clients. Just hang up the phone if a snowbird from Minnesota calls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 05:27 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Do what it takes to make the money, sounds like you go the extra mile to get yourself competent in different areas of town for your clients. Just hang up the phone if a snowbird from Minnesota calls
Touch'e. To be clear, I would do the same thing. My post / warning came from experience. There are all kinds of advantages for the consumer to pick a local expert. If that's true, then by definition, there are disadvantages with picking someone who attempts to cover the entire Valley. Your a smart guy and you understand that. If there still is a debate, I can quickly list off a dozen quick examples.

Now if I wanted to hire a RE person who knew rehab, ROI for renting, potential budget contractors and what the market rates for re-working say HVAC, and I was buying a rental, I would only hire someone like you (albeit not your gig). Because the metrics are different in my above example. One size doesn't fit all.

And if I am being brutally honest (don't shoot the messenger), generally it makes me nervous to hire someone who isn't busy in the hottest economy ever. If someone will drive from sea to shinning sea to show me a house without a guarantee, that's a flag in my book. In 2010, that's a different story. But your encouragement is admirable: do what you have to do! I was addressing what is the best for the consumer (not what's best for the agent).

This is kind of like a blog. lol

Old 11-09-2019, 08:41 AM

13,979 posts, read 8,146,416 times
I sold my home in San Francisco earlier this year. Although the house is a nice size (1879 sq ft) it's dated (built 1928) and needs some work.

The property is in a quiet residential area with a large Asian population

Along with the tech money San Francisco also attracts buyers from Hong Kong. So, if an agent couldn't speak Chinese and didn't have ties to overseas buyers forget it.

Now, when you're selling in SF and agents come knocking you can expect everything but a bottle of champagne when they show up at the door.

All the agents gave me their speech about how they were the best. And let me tell you... they were smooth. There is a lot of money/competition in the SF real estate business. So, you had better be good!

But one fellow got my attention. He didn't waste my time with a fancy power point presentation. He said I've got access to the Asian market and can show your house tomorrow to a potential buyer. No contract, no big sales pitch, no nothing except I'll bring you potential buyers immediately.

And he did!

But as I mentioned above although the house is nice there were some drawbacks. Nevertheless I sold it three weeks later for 5 grand under asking price to an Asian couple.

Last edited by john3232; 11-09-2019 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area