Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2019, 06:16 PM

2,394 posts, read 2,741,580 times

Advertisements

Maybe one of you might be able to help. I was asking my appliance repair guy if he knew anyone who did TV repair, and after his initial "No," he re-considered. He said he's noticed a place in Tempe - I think he said Southern, between Mill and Kyrene, in a strip mall on the south side of the street.

Anyone in that neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 10:43 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,295,310 times
I think a reason a lot of these shops have closed up is because nowadays, it often makes more sense to just buy a new unit.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:03 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,385,295 times
Or DIY. Look up the TV brand name and the failure mode in Youtube, buy the part on ebay and install it yourself. Apart from replacing the whole display panel and LED array, replacing TV parts is relatively easy.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:33 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,522,912 times
They are likely thinking of Walt's TV and Appliance, which is on Southern just west of Mill, in an old strip mall. They've been around forever, probably make more on selling TVs than repairing them. Many years ago, the last time I bought an old style TV, I bought it from the guys who had been repairing my TV and could no longer do so. They sold a few brands, based on the ones they did the fewest repairs on. That TV I bought from them lasted many many years, and I just disposed of it when it started having issues. I got more than my money's worth out of it.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:44 PM

2,774 posts, read 907,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They are likely thinking of Walt's TV and Appliance, which is on Southern just west of Mill, in an old strip mall. They've been around forever, probably make more on selling TVs than repairing them. Many years ago, the last time I bought an old style TV, I bought it from the guys who had been repairing my TV and could no longer do so. They sold a few brands, based on the ones they did the fewest repairs on. That TV I bought from them lasted many many years, and I just disposed of it when it started having issues. I got more than my money's worth out of it.
Walt's TV moved. They are now at 1746 W Ruby Dr #110, Tempe, AZ 85284. As for repair, as stated already, unless a simple replaceable component (i.e. easily accessed circuit board) can be replaced, I think repairing modern flat screen TV's is likely not economical. But it doesn't hurt to ask. d

I used to live near Mill and Southern in the early 80's and that little strip mall area was nice back then. Now it's almost completely deserted and is falling apart. Progress...................

Old 12-10-2019, 04:05 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,522,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Walt's TV moved. They are now at 1746 W Ruby Dr #110, Tempe, AZ 85284. As for repair, as stated already, unless a simple replaceable component (i.e. easily accessed circuit board) can be replaced, I think repairing modern flat screen TV's is likely not economical. But it doesn't hurt to ask. d

I used to live near Mill and Southern in the early 80's and that little strip mall area was nice back then. Now it's almost completely deserted and is falling apart. Progress...................

Thanks, Casey, I almost stopped to check and see if they had moved. I should have.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:36 PM

656 posts, read 817,296 times
Also, who in Tempe works on horse-drawn carriages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: