Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2019, 03:04 AM

90 posts, read 410,837 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, so my house here in San Tan Valley, AZ has a window in the laundry room that appears to be skewed to the right (see attached picture.) The house was built here in San Tan Valley in 2005.

Does anyone know why would the window be crooked like this? Should I be concerned about the build quality of my home and could this worsen even more over time?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Should I be concerned about build quality here in AZ?-window-crooked.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 06:03 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Are there other signs of foundation problems? Drywall cracks, sticking doors, sloping floors?

I’d seal the window and make some marks to see if there’s any active movement. Some of the soils around the metro can lead to minor foundation problems, but all houses settle. My house is over 50 and you can see evidence of settling in the past but nothing active. I once owned a house that had severe foundation problems that were active and worsening with time. It’s just something you have to contend with.

If there is no other signs and it’s not active, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:44 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
STV was mostly built up during the housing boom in 2004-2006. There were some stories of sinkholes and shifting foundations out there. Like JGMotorsport64 said...I would keep an eye on it. Most homes were built with post-tensioned slabs but they can still shift. At the speed with which those houses were going up, I wouldn't rule out just shoddy workmanship though either.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Yes. It's a house in BFE built during the boom. Of course you can't expect the highest quality construction.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:41 AM

64 posts, read 59,492 times
Would agree with the shoddy workmanship statement. While investigating places to retire, was educated to the fact that one geographic area of a nearby state had home builds of differing quality. Purchasers who were "in" were sold properties of correct proportions within a certain cluster. Outsiders were offered new builds in different sections, where issues with foundations, cheaper material use and labor construction shortcuts were utilized. They all looked the same. Hope this isn't the case with you.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:45 PM

90 posts, read 410,837 times
Thanks for the help. I don't think I see any other evidence of foundation problems (no unusual cracks, etc) and the home inspector who inspected my house a couple months ago didn't even mention any issues at all (but then again, he could have been a bad home inspector which I don't believe was the case.)

My bro is also considering moving into this neighborhood as well and the house across the street appears to have the exact same issue where the laundry room on the second floor appears to be uneven. Would you recommend my bro stay away from this neighborhood completely or am I worried over nothing?

Old 12-30-2019, 05:02 PM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComposerRyan View Post
Thanks for the help. I don't think I see any other evidence of foundation problems (no unusual cracks, etc) and the home inspector who inspected my house a couple months ago didn't even mention any issues at all (but then again, he could have been a bad home inspector which I don't believe was the case.)

My bro is also considering moving into this neighborhood as well and the house across the street appears to have the exact same issue where the laundry room on the second floor appears to be uneven. Would you recommend my bro stay away from this neighborhood completely or am I worried over nothing?
Maybe the same window installer worked on both homes. He could of had a kink in his neck making the window look straight.

I'd hire a framer and see what they think. It's a little strange..

Old 12-30-2019, 06:33 PM

811 posts, read 622,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Maybe the same window installer worked on both homes. He could of had a kink in his neck making the window look straight.
Apparently the installer measured once and cut twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area