Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 07:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
I didn't move here and I hope other didn't move here so it would be the same as back where I came from

I like the unique stores and shops and restaurants we have (compared to the northeast)
Having a national retailer here doesn’t make it the same as anywhere else. I wouldn’t base a location’s uniqueness on their grocery stores. We certainly have nothing special in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 07:59 AM

986 posts, read 1,867,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Sorry...I don't get the hype for a grocery store. It is a grocery store. We have plenty of shopping options.
It is cheaper than all options I know of. Cheaper than Walmart even, but the quality is better. Lots of organic options. They also don't use artificial colors, MSG, or trans fats in any of their foods. They also have an excellent product guarantee if you don't like something you buy. They keep prices low for one by not having to pay someone to gather carts in the parking lot, as their quarter system guarantees people return carts. That's why they're great.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:12 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
The presence of Aldi in a metro area will benefit all grocery shoppers, not just Aldi customers. Aldi has door buster prices on basic staples that are sold in high volume. This is what attracts customers to them, but also forces competitors to take note and keep their prices in check.

Aldi's most recent expansion was in Southern California. Who would have thought they would be successful there, with well entrenched stores like Ralphs (Kroger / Frys), Vons (Safeway), Walmart, Target, Stater Bros, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joes (already owned by Aldi North store division), and many more. Yet, when I lived in Orange County up until the end of 2017, Aldi stores were doing very well. People raved about the low prices on staples and many of the house brand packaged products.

Here in Tucson, I can walk the 1/2 mile or so to Frys, and I like my local store. I rarely go to TJs or Sprouts, which are a mile or two further. I don't buy many packaged foods, so the Aldi house brands would not be a big deal to me.

I live in Germany during the warm weather months. There are several Aldi in the city I live in, but I usually shop at a different grocery chain that has a larger selection of fresh fruits and veggies. I like to select individual veggies instead of buying a plastic package containing a set amount of stuff. That is my big turn off from Aldi. I know why they pre-package veggies and fruit in bags - the pre-printed bar code on the bag can be scanned at the register very fast. However, other grocery stores in Germany sell loose produce where you put items in a plastic bag, then go to a smart scale in the produce section where you select the item from the picture menu, weigh it and it spits out a stick on bar code. Still very fast at the grocery check out.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:51 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,275,186 times
I can't believe there is talk of adding another grocery store chain to Phoenix. Fry's, Bashas, Safeway, Albertsons, Sprouts, Wal-Mart, Super Target, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, WinCo, AJ's, Smart & Final, Food City....am I missing any from this ridiculous list? I guess we can count Fry's Marketplace and Fry's Signature as separate brands too. I'm all for free market competition, but come on.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:17 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I can't believe there is talk of adding another grocery store chain to Phoenix. Fry's, Bashas, Safeway, Albertsons, Sprouts, Wal-Mart, Super Target, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, WinCo, AJ's, Smart & Final, Food City....am I missing any from this ridiculous list? I guess we can count Fry's Marketplace and Fry's Signature as separate brands too. I'm all for free market competition, but come on.
The competition is BRUTAL! You might as well include Walmart Marketplace.
Here is what we have in our town of Surprise:

2 Walmarts
1 Walmart Marketplace.
2 Fry's.
2 Safeways.
1 Super Target.
1 Trader Joe's.
1 Bashes.
1 Sprouts.
1 Winco.
1 Sam's Club
1 Costco (in three months)
1 Albertsons

16 total stores all battling it out for the same shopping dollar.

Finally, downtown Phoenix gets one lousy store. I must be missing something.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:43 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
There's a lesson in this to Phoenix newcomers and not so newcomers. In Phoenix we always hear of great plans of things to come from retail firms, malls, big job creators, amusement parks, hotels, towers and, of course, high tech. Little of this ever comes to fruition. We keep expanding with the same old rubber stamp suburbia and the plans are forgotten over time. We do get a lot of new warehouses and data centers though. Anyway, believe it when it's built.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:40 PM

236 posts, read 209,093 times
Default Aldi

The Aldi stores here in St Petersburg FL do very well. Just like Whole Foods ,Trader Joes,Publix,Sams CLub ,Winn Dixie etc. Residents here like all the choices we have to shop. What one person does not like>>10 people will like and they have remodeled the Aldi stores and added a lot of organic choices. Not everyone here can pay $3.25 for a half gallon of milk at Publix. Aldi is $1.59. They have no bakery, deli,butcher or large produce dept so you are limited. Some of their off brands are actually very good.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:07 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Aldi is owned by the same company as Trader Joe's (or something like that, they are related) so they have the same standards as TJ's and offer a great variety of quality store brand items just like TJ's. Are they another grocery chain? Yes. Are they really direct competition for Safeway and Albertson's? Mehhh, not really, as they are a discount grocer but a really good quality discount grocer. When asked if there is anything I miss about the city I moved here from in the Midwest, I say I only miss 2 things, one of them is Aldi. I grew up shopping at Aldi and they have evolved by leaps and bounds compared to what they were decades ago, but have managed to keep the same low price strategy in place.

When we were in Sydney Australia a few years ago, the boyfriend laughed at me because I HAD to go to Aldi when we were at Manly Wharf!

I really hope they eventually get their poop in a group and start opening stores here.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:13 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
I experienced an Aldi for the first time while visiting my son in Virginia in October. I thought it was a great place and could save some money on groceries if we had one here. Hopefully Aldi is still coming.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:46 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,921,631 times
yep, watched Aldi's grow and evolve for years in the midwest, and those who "dis" this place don't understand their marketing strategy...its not a full service grocery, nor do they ever want to be...for your staples, and high usage stuff, their pricing can't be beat, and, many of their private label brands are FAR SUPERIOR to the overpriced national brands; you just have to figure out which ones are for you

remember, they don't do retail advertising, they don't charge vendors "slotting fees", there is only 2 or 3 employees in most stores, and they get rid of all the things you pay extra for at Safeway/Frys'/ et al..I mean those stores try to make you check out/bag/do everything yourself now, and still overcharge for so many products, so if you are going to be a "self sufficient" shopper, then why pay for services you aren't getting anymore anyways?????

Also, every week, they have some "general merchandise" like name brand tools, furniture, soft goods, etc, at incredible prices..

I too hope they come here, but, its costly setting up shop away from your main markets..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area