Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 08:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,359,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Not trying to "dis" anything...just don't understand the excitement for a grocery store. So far all I am seeing is "low priced house brands". This wouldn't be enough to make me change my shopping habits if I have to go to multiple stores to get our grocery shopping done. My time is worth more than the potential savings.
If you aren't a prior Aldi shopper, you might not get it. It's like Trader Joe's. Once you go, you know.

You can get most, if not all, of your weekly shopping done at Aldi quite easily. I did it for years.(and saved a TON of money)

Old 01-16-2020, 08:26 AM

3,421 posts, read 2,947,033 times
[quote=ElleTea;57106009]If you aren't a prior Aldi shopper, you might not get it. It's like Trader Joe's. Once you go, you know.
QUOTE]

This pretty much sums it up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 08:43 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,205,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
If you aren't a prior Aldi shopper, you might not get it. It's like Trader Joe's. Once you go, you know.

You can get most, if not all, of your weekly shopping done at Aldi quite easily. I did it for years.(and saved a TON of money)
Well...not a huge fan or Trader Joe's either so...guess I am not their target market.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:05 AM

9,890 posts, read 11,295,052 times
Quote:
Well...not a huge fan or Trader Joe's either so...guess I am not their target market.
I use Trader Joe's to run for specialty items. Like their Thai yellow and red curry sauce (the red sauce is especially good). For instance, Walmart doesn't carry premade red curry sauce. Or I buy their fig spread to replicating Postino's brie/fig/apple bruschetta. If I need some fruits and vegetables, I might grab a couple of items. I shop there a few times a year and stock up on my items.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:02 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,310,277 times
Quote:
Not trying to "dis" anything...just don't understand the excitement for a grocery store. So far all I am seeing is "low priced house brands". This wouldn't be enough to make me change my shopping habits if I have to go to multiple stores to get our grocery shopping done. My time is worth more than the potential savings.
A grocery store is a retail store that you will visit more than any other. Most people are there multiple times per week. It becomes an important part of your life. Sounds silly...I know. But there's truth to it. I was super pumped when they opened a brand new Fry's Marketplace down the street from my house.

Now that I'm reading this out loud, maybe I'm just getting old. Excited over a grocery store.....wow. My 20 year old self is laughing at me.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:55 AM

16,414 posts, read 30,435,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
With typical grocery stores, the weekly advertisements are profit centers. As in, the vendors pay to enter them using their co-op dollars. The groceries literally make $$'s off of vendors to have the privilege of making their ads. I had a friend who was a food broker and that was part of his job description.

With Aldi's, that might be a little different unless the private label manufacturers are paying. Generally, I only saw ads when I walked in. But Aldi's DOES advertising nationally. Here is an example https://www.supermarketnews.com/mark...al-ad-campaign

Considering that about 95% of their SKUs are private label brands, this is highly unlikely.

Also, Aldi does NOT have "sale prices" that they are advertising. They advertise their everyday low prices.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:02 AM

16,414 posts, read 30,435,188 times
I think that ALDI will have Phoenix stores by 2022.

I believe that one of the reasons for the delay in opening this market is the success of the California-style stores that were introduced in 2016. The success has led them to start a massive remodeling of many of their suburban stores in the Midwest. Some of the stores that are being redone in the Midwest have only been open for five years.

Whether you like to shop at Aldi or not, their presence in a market drives prices down. When they opened their stores in Texas, Winco Foods and Aldi started a grocery war that had milk at $0.99/ gallon and eggs at $0.39. They will force everyone in the market to reevaluate their pricing strategies.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:13 AM

9,890 posts, read 11,295,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Considering that about 95% of their SKUs are private label brands, this is highly unlikely.
It's why I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
With Aldi's, that might be a little different unless the private label manufacturers are paying. Generally, I only saw ads when I walked in. But Aldi's DOES advertising nationally. Here is an example https://www.supermarketnews.com/mark...al-ad-campaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Also, Aldi does NOT have "sale prices" that they are advertising. They advertise their everyday low prices.
Where did I say they had sale ads? I said they had ads/flyers (which are ads). i.e. they promote (advertise) and spend $$'s which increases their overhead.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:55 AM

3,421 posts, read 2,947,033 times
right; the public generally assumes that when there is an ad, there are "sale prices"...Since WalMart invaded the world, and endlessly push EDLP (Every Day Low Prices), many retailers have changed that mindset, and run Ads, but don't reduce the prices on everything or anything in the ads...

Old 01-16-2020, 12:29 PM

121 posts, read 118,658 times
I read talks of all this in groups and other forums and was mentioned that Aldi bought up all the spots for the stores but also wanted to have a warehouse built before they built the stores and hadn't found a spot for the warehouse yet so everything is just at a stand still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area