Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 10:26 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,226,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
After viewing the Aldis flyer posted by gemstone I see nothing that would make me want to shop at Aldis.
What's new?? In any given ad from a grocery store, normally, I MIGHT want a grand total of three items. Sometimes it's not worth the effort (zero items on their ad). Let's pick on Food City this week FOOD CITY - Circular Do you see anything that would make you want to make a trip? I don't. But that doesn't mean I don't want some pollo asado grilled chicken which isn't in the ad. I'm kind of surprised I had to explain this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 12:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,289,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
What's new?? In any given ad from a grocery store, normally, I MIGHT want a grand total of three items. Sometimes it's not worth the effort (zero items on their ad). Let's pick on Food City this week FOOD CITY - Circular Do you see anything that would make you want to make a trip? I don't. But that doesn't mean I don't want some pollo asado grilled chicken which isn't in the ad. I'm kind of surprised I had to explain this.
We shop at Fry's Marketplace pretty much exclusively. The ONLY time we look at ads, is to see where chicken breast is on sale at. We are a family of 5 and go through chicken like it's going out of style. So we will do Fry's Clicklist, and then I'll make a stop at either Basha's or Safeway if chicken is on sale there. We may go to Sprout's every once in a while for specialty stuff. I think people are very loyal to their grocery store of choice...at least we are. So I'm not sure ads work all that great. Are you going to make a separate trip just to save $0.50 on blueberries?

Old 01-17-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
We shop at Fry's Marketplace pretty much exclusively. The ONLY time we look at ads, is to see where chicken breast is on sale at. We are a family of 5 and go through chicken like it's going out of style. So we will do Fry's Clicklist, and then I'll make a stop at either Basha's or Safeway if chicken is on sale there. We may go to Sprout's every once in a while for specialty stuff. I think people are very loyal to their grocery store of choice...at least we are. So I'm not sure ads work all that great. Are you going to make a separate trip just to save $0.50 on blueberries?
I shop like you do. Make sure you sign up for the digital coupons at Fry's. I'll shop at Safeway with their digital coupons and a grab a few items if I need to go to the bank (USBank). As for the blueberry example. I can bike to Bashes inside of 2 minutes. So if I am out biking the neighborhood, I might make a special trip. But certainly not to Fry's even though they are less than 5 minutes by car.

I'm like you. I'll stock up on some steaks like last week's $4.49 boneless NY Steak. I pound them to tenderize, add the spices and toss in 2 per zip lock to freeze. I don't think I ever bought chicken in the past several years that was not on sale. Nor a turkey, nor a ham. If asparagus is on sale for $0.99/lbs, we will have asparagus 2 days that week. You get my point.... I'm allergic to retail. I always have been and I always will be.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:36 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,326,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
I just want to know when Winco is going to build stores elsewhere than along bell rd...
There are 7 WinCo stores in the metro, 4 of which are located in the east valley, and 2 of which are on Bell. SO, it would seem that the majority of stores here are already located other than on Bell Rd.

The 2 that are on Bell Rd may be only 10 miles apart or so, but it's pretty densely populated up there so both stores would serve big (separate) chunks of the population.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
There are 7 WinCo stores in the metro, 4 of which are located in the east valley, and 2 of which are on Bell. SO, it would seem that the majority of stores here are already located other than on Bell Rd.

The 2 that are on Bell Rd may be only 10 miles apart or so, but it's pretty densely populated up there so both stores would serve big (separate) chunks of the population.
The one in Surprise is also on Bell.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:41 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,286,403 times
I would love to have Aldi come in and offer competitive pricing. Besides Trader Joe's, Aldi has the best atmosphere and convenience I've ever seen in a grocery store. Honestly, I've been overall unimpressed the grocery options in Phoenix since I've moved here.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:44 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,286,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
I didn't move here and I hope other didn't move here so it would be the same as back where I came from

I like the unique stores and shops and restaurants we have (compared to the northeast)
How is Phoenix unique? I see the same stuff here that I see in most other metros.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:43 PM

846 posts, read 1,404,503 times
I know Aldi well, I shop there weekly in Chicago. What the ads don't show you are the dozen eggs for 29 cents, the organic lunchables for $2, the half gallon milk for $1, or the dozen generic La Croix for $2.50. The prices for Chicago are cheap. Nevermind the affordable organic options, the liquor department, or the retail section where you can get solid deal (bike stand for $30, yes please).

I remember the saturated market in Phoenix for grocery shopping--we usually traveled to WinCo.

I'm not confident it would be successful in Phoenix because it's not really like anything else there. It's not a supermarket. You bag your own groceries. You pay a quarter for your cart. It's smaller than Sprouts and TJs. When we move, we specifically make sure we have one we can comfortably walk to year round -- so within a quarter mile.

Aldi delivers here via Instacart.

We do about 90% of our grocery shopping for a 2 adult household there for $30-$50/week.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:16 AM

39,113 posts, read 51,361,697 times
They have an Aldi's in the town where I sunbird the summers. I'm not impressed. They have a limited selection and you end up going to Walmart anyway. Overall, Walmart is still cheaper. Here, I mostly go to Fry's cuz I like the covered parking. The Safeway down the street from me got rid of self checkout and got rid of me with the same move. Now, I hear they put it back in. So maybe I will go to Safeway. They are overpriced, but convenient. I doubt I would make a special trip for Aldi's. I like Sprouts, but it's not worth the trip, and Sprouts is a whole lot nicer than Aldi's IMO.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They have an Aldi's in the town where I sunbird the summers. I'm not impressed. They have a limited selection and you end up going to Walmart anyway. Overall, Walmart is still cheaper. Here, I mostly go to Fry's cuz I like the covered parking. The Safeway down the street from me got rid of self checkout and got rid of me with the same move. Now, I hear they put it back in. So maybe I will go to Safeway. They are overpriced, but convenient. I doubt I would make a special trip for Aldi's. I like Sprouts, but it's not worth the trip, and Sprouts is a whole lot nicer than Aldi's IMO.
I would agree with you a year ago. It seems they are transitioning. I go in Safeway a couple of times a month to visit the internal USBank location inside the store. Since 2011, I've been unable to figure out how they possibly can make money. The Fry's literally across the street always has 2-3 people deep in the checkout and 5-8 lines are open (plus self-checkout). Normally Fry's is busy at all parts of the day.

During the last few visits, I've noticed a shift in Safeway deals and lower pricing. Like a mailer that gave $5 off spending $25 and a $10 of $50. I would only put items in my cart if the pricing looked competitive. Everything on my list had a good price like 88 cent 2 liters soda, two-for-one salsa, 99 cents down eggs, etc. And a coupon for a free rotisserie chicken. Not so oddly, the place had many more people in the store. But the carts were not checking out with a lot of groceries. But IMO, they seem to be shifting to be more competitive and I like their selection.

re: Aldi's. Realize they seem to have three distinctive styles of stores. The original midwestern locations where they are smaller and less selection. Those have semi-pathetic produce selection. Then the stores that were remodeled and often a small square footage add-on. The layout is so much smarter that they have much more selection. Then the have the new stores which are closer to the European model. Tons of products and 5x more produce and meats.

I will say the last time I visited a couple of Aldi stores in MN, their prices seemed to have crept up a lot of the items I needed. Why not? There really isn't any competition in the Midwest. 3/4 of the "independent" stores get their product from SuperValu distribution (parent company of the overpriced Cub Foods). They make Walmart look competitive priced. A lot of words to say I wonder if Aldi has a different pricing strategy in different regions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area