Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 09:40 PM

43 posts, read 29,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Will you use it? Only you can answer that.

As another commenter has mentioned, though, a sparkling body of water in your backyard is calming, especially during the hot summers. There's something about gazing at water. It lowers stress and anxiety, increasing an overall sense of well-being and happiness, a lower heart and breathing rate, and safe, better workouts.

I have a pool. I think we used it five times last year in the morning during the summer months. Very refreshing. I won't use a community pool. Two reasons: Communicable diseases and at SCG, children under 16 are allowed to use the pools, albeit with some restrictions. No thanks.

https://www.thrillist.com/health/nat...swimming-pools

I pay $140 a month for pool service but as my soon-to-be-ex pointed out, they don't do anything that we couldn't do ourselves if we wanted to.
Thank you Fluffy. I enjoy your posts/answers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmFltn View Post
We’re moving to a very nice place at SCG in Surprise. They have great pools and our home doesn’t have its own. Should we consider putting one in? Will we use it? Generally, will it help the resale time or price?
There are quite a few pool companies. Does anyone have a company they go out of their way to recommend?
I’ll take the advice to wait a little bit. It will be on the east side which I like. We have a dog; would need a fence; irrigation needs replacing, so I’d thought to do it all. We’ll wait. Thanks all.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:09 AM

9,874 posts, read 11,270,705 times
Quote:
I’ll take the advice to wait a little bit. It will be on the east side which I like. We have a dog; would need a fence; irrigation needs replacing, so I’d thought to do it all. We’ll wait. Thanks all.
Because it costs less, builders spec in the black flexible polyethylene pipe. Since it is so hot and dry, the poly literally gets brittle over time. Landscaping suppliers continue to use thinner tubing as well. So the tubes made in 2020 will spring more leaks sooner. My point is, if you replace it with new poly, set your watch for it to start springing leaks in about 8 years.

Two years ago, we were sick of fixing broken lines and we hired a landscaping company to install white PVC tubes. You don't want to use the white PVC pipes in freezing climates which isn't an issue here and that is what they recommended. When we hired our crew, about 10 neighbors stopped by asking if we like who we hired. Their home was also around 10 years old.

As an interesting side note, we have had examples of plastic mesh bags that were stored in the garage that literally broke up into hundreds of pieces. Or a plastic container that would shatter if you dropped it. The majority of plastics are not affected. But some are. In MN, the black flexible tube will last 50 years. In AZ, 8-10 before you start chasing leaks. Just an FYI.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:10 AM

8,312 posts, read 8,725,713 times
Most people in a 55+ don't care too much about resale since the heirs will be the ones selling it.

If you want a pool get one.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most people in a 55+ don't care too much about resale since the heirs will be the ones selling it.

If you want a pool get one.
I disagree. Maybe at age 80 they don't care. It's extremely common for people in the 55+ hoods to move...... Often, to another home inside of the same neighborhood. It's common for people to over-downsize or figure out what they want is to be closer to the clubhouse or be on the course or follow their (grand)kids or ___________. Hey, they might want to move to get away from their pool maintenance. But I agree. If they want one, get it. They aren't getting any younger.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:08 PM

8,312 posts, read 8,725,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I disagree. Maybe at age 80 they don't care. It's extremely common for people in the 55+ hoods to move...... Often, to another home inside of the same neighborhood. It's common for people to over-downsize or figure out what they want is to be closer to the clubhouse or be on the course or follow their (grand)kids or ___________. Hey, they might want to move to get away from their pool maintenance. But I agree. If they want one, get it. They aren't getting any younger.
It happens, you remember the ones that did, but it is not extremely common. Unless you think 1 out of 9 or 11 is extremely common.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:04 PM

2,400 posts, read 2,749,283 times
Quote:
We’re moving to a very nice place at SCG in Surprise. They have great pools and our home doesn’t have its own. Should we consider putting one in? Will we use it? Generally, will it help the resale time or price?
There are quite a few pool companies. Does anyone have a company they go out of their way to recommend?
Seems like odd questions. Does anyone "need" a pool? And how would we know if you'd use it? Did you previously have a private pool and use it regularly? That would be your clue.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Because it costs less, builders spec in the black flexible polyethylene pipe. Since it is so hot and dry, the poly literally gets brittle over time. Landscaping suppliers continue to use thinner tubing as well. So the tubes made in 2020 will spring more leaks sooner. My point is, if you replace it with new poly, set your watch for it to start springing leaks in about 8 years.

Two years ago, we were sick of fixing broken lines and we hired a landscaping company to install white PVC tubes. You don't want to use the white PVC pipes in freezing climates which isn't an issue here and that is what they recommended. When we hired our crew, about 10 neighbors stopped by asking if we like who we hired. Their home was also around 10 years old.

As an interesting side note, we have had examples of plastic mesh bags that were stored in the garage that literally broke up into hundreds of pieces. Or a plastic container that would shatter if you dropped it. The majority of plastics are not affected. But some are. In MN, the black flexible tube will last 50 years. In AZ, 8-10 before you start chasing leaks. Just an FYI.
Thank you MN. That is fantastic advice the I will use!

Old 01-25-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It happens, you remember the ones that did, but it is not extremely common. Unless you think 1 out of 9 or 11 is extremely common.
I shouldn't have used the word "extremely" and just said it was common for people to move. My post parroted real estate agents in various 55+ communities across the Valley. Currently in SCG, for instance, they have close to 100 homes for sale as we speak in an era where inventory is tight. Even if one of the homeowners is ill, I propose they better darn well think of resale value. Because good nursing homes are expensive. Plus people are living longer than ever before.

When I was looking in Victory at Verrado this past Spring at a time when the market was slowing some, I came across several resales. Not one of them was going to break even after selling expenses and putting in the normal items like a backyard, window treatments, etc.

I suspect we are both taking an educated guess as to what people think. My bias that I am applying my view on life. I'm always going to worry about resale as my wives gene pool lives till their early hundreds while mine peters out around 75-80 years old. I'm guessing you assume people think like you. If you are right and people don't care about the 55+ resale value, I propose they should. We agree that on average, they probably care less versus what you said that they don't care.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:03 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,942,473 times
I am certain that everyone who has a nice home at 50,60, or 70 wants to do as much to it as possible to make it better for THEM FIRST, Resale second..We aren't spring chickens either, but we have put almost 6 figures into upgrading/remodeling/adding on to our house here in the last 30 months we've lived here, and, we will continue to do so...we love where we live, and still feel like we are on vacation every day of the week..

For us, at least, its not about resale, its about enjoying life now and in what ever future we have left...my family, aside from myself, aren't big water people, so a pool was a no biggie for us; but, if the house we bought had one, we would have enjoyed it either way.

Sure its nice our house has appreciated about 25% since we bought it, but, we are doing all the work on it for us, and maybe our son, when we leave this earth...Resale value does NOT come into play in our minds, but everyone is different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area