Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2020, 10:53 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,059 times

Advertisements

I have a huge eucalyptus tree in my backyard, guessing over 50 or 60 feet tall.

The backyard is big so I'm not worried about space. I am concerned about these other things I've heard about certain breeds of eucalyptus and I'm trying to determine how true they are:

super messy, leaves everywhere
branches are prone to falling easily/randomly
grass/other plants may not grow near it for some unknown reason

I'd love to keep the tree and trying to avoid removing it. I think I can deal with the messy leaves, but falling branches might be a red line (kids). Also grass underneath would be nice.
Attached Thumbnails
What type of eucalyptus tree is this and should I take it out?-euc1.jpg   What type of eucalyptus tree is this and should I take it out?-euc2.jpg   What type of eucalyptus tree is this and should I take it out?-euc3.jpg   What type of eucalyptus tree is this and should I take it out?-euc4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 04:19 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
There are over 350 varieties of Eucalyptus trees. Yours looks to be the variety called 'red gum camaldulensis' tall with bluish/gray elongated leaves.
Yes they can be messy, yes they can drop branches in a heavy wind storm, yes grass is difficult to grown near their base area, they rob the soil of all the nutrients for itself.

Usually the trees that are not watered deep/thoroughly enough have the branches that are weak and drop.

Taking it out is a hard decision, yours to make.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:50 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I had two like that and removed them. All three of your concerns are real. They lose leaves constantly, drop huge limbs and not necessarily in storms, and things won't grow under them. They also smell unpleasant at times. On the other hand, they give great shade. Mine were making a complete mess of my pool and the leaves and litter were clogging the valleys on the roofing causing a leak. They had to go though I still miss their cooling shade.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:00 PM

2,774 posts, read 901,837 times
At my first house in Tempe, I had a huge Eucalyptus tree in the back yard. I lived a block off of Rural Road and you could see the top of it from there. I didn't like it because it was everything you said, but I didn't like the idea of paying to cut it down. My next door neighbor asked a number of times if I would consider taking it down because if it came down in a storm chances are it would land on his pool and house. After a summer monsoon storm knocked off a few large branches, I relented and had it taken down. Didn't want to deal with a potentially angry neighbor and insurance/law suit issues. He was happy and the ugly tree was gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: