Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 04:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
It's implied.

And I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I get that people want to live by people like them. But we need not tiptoe around the concept.
It's not implied. Nothing is being tip-toed around. Quit making up some hidden messaging. Diversity doesn't mean an absence of white people. I prefer to be around people of all cultures, including white people. White people are responsible for pizza and beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 10:34 PM

10 posts, read 5,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
It's not implied. Nothing is being tip-toed around. Quit making up some hidden messaging. Diversity doesn't mean an absence of white people. I prefer to be around people of all cultures, including white people. White people are responsible for pizza and beer.
^^^that part^^

The level of assumption and defensiveness I got about my diversity question made me stop replying to the thread because I realized I had obviously tapped into some weird personal issues. When I saw a new reply I hoped it would be a suggestion about house vs apartment living for a family or suggestions on where to start my search bc phoenix is so big. But nope, further comments assuming I’m avoiding white people. My moms from Iowa and my dads from Ethiopia. I really do like diversity! I tried to be polite about clarifying but your comment was a hell of a lot better haha thanks.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:00 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Wasn't the last president also an Ethiopian Iowan mix? Haha, just kidding. If you're looking for suggestions on areas to rent it usually helps to include an expected budget. Remember to consider you may have higher electric bills in Phoenix depending on where in CA you're from. They don't open windows in the summer to cool off there.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:25 AM

10 posts, read 5,377 times
Yes thanks! I figure we pay 1350 for a 1 bdrm here.... at first I was excited to see whole houses for the same price and then decided to knock of 350 off of my search in consideration of utilities. This lead to me currently looking at 2 bedrooms apts in northern PHX for about 1000. I noticed some of the zillow postings had a lot of detailed cost breakdowns and some include RUBS which I read was something that might not be so great! So this morning I’ll be deep diving into whatever that is! Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-31-2020, 06:34 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMom88 View Post
^^^that part^^

The level of assumption and defensiveness I got about my diversity question made me stop replying to the thread because I realized I had obviously tapped into some weird personal issues. When I saw a new reply I hoped it would be a suggestion about house vs apartment living for a family or suggestions on where to start my search bc phoenix is so big. But nope, further comments assuming I’m avoiding white people. My moms from Iowa and my dads from Ethiopia. I really do like diversity! I tried to be polite about clarifying but your comment was a hell of a lot better haha thanks.
Well...and not to beat a dead horse here, my comment was directed at most threads on here. Someone comes on and asks about diversity and then there are follow up posts about how they don't want to be around "white people". This is obviously not the case with your desires, I just wanted to point out that while Scottsdale, on paper, looks overwhelmingly white, there are people from all ethnic and racial backgrounds living all over the valley. If you are going to avoid the area on a preconceived notion that you won't fit in, that is fine but is most likely not reality.

Best of luck finding a place, there are a ton of great options/neighborhoods/cities to look at. Again, I would probably look for a place around where your SO finds a position or has a large concentration of restaurants to choose from.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:28 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
I guess we just see the world a little differently. I believe it absolutely is implied, but no one will admit it. No big deal. I'm going to get on with my day.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I guess we just see the world a little differently. I believe it absolutely is implied, but no one will admit it. No big deal. I'm going to get on with my day.
I see it at face value and don't put words in people's mouths. You should try it.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:33 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Most of the time when someone is asking about "diversity" or not fitting in with a "certain demographic", they are looking for somewhere "other than white". Now the funny part of that is if you actually read most of those demographic charts, "Hispanics" usually get lumped into the "Caucasian" category, so they are all woefully skewed for the most part. There are plenty of non-white people living in Scottsdale, but if you just go off of a demographic table, it looks pretty darn white. Some neighborhoods it is, some it isn't. What a lot of people don't get is that the Phoenix Metro is pretty much financially segregated rather than racially.

One of these days, no one is going to care about the color of your skin and concentrate more on the quality of your character.
I wish I could give a thousand +1s to this post.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:02 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
I see it at face value and don't put words in people's mouths. You should try it.
Preaching from your ivory tower of North Scottsdale about diversity and how important it is to you.

And I didn't put any words in anyone's mouth. She said she wanted diversity. I'm trying to explain to you people what that really means. That's all.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Preaching from your ivory tower of North Scottsdale about diversity and how important it is to you.

And I didn't put any words in anyone's mouth. She said she wanted diversity. I'm trying to explain to you people what that really means. That's all.
You "trying to explain to you people what that really means" is putting words in people's mouth. She simply asked for diversity. You added the rest. Quit trying to make the request something that it's not. Get off your agenda for a moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area